What's new

Replacing flipper bats - Whirlwind

Martywolfman

Registered
Sorry for the n00b question, but as someone that isn't technical and hasn't done much in the way of pinball maintenance, I'm not sure how to do this.

I've been cleaning the whirly today, and whenm I took the rubber off one of the flippers and started cleaning the bat, a small piece at the end fell off, so obviously the bat needs rep[acing.

I've had a bit of a google, but I can only find instructions for replacing the actual mechanism, I can't seem to find anywhere that shows how to remove and replace the bat. I assume this is because it's very simple, and should be obvious, other than to we technically inept people :)

I see the replacements are easy to obtain, and very simple looking things. Is it as simple as just pulling them out and pushing the new one in?

I've looked underneath the playfield, I assume this is the end of the rod. So is it just a matter of loosening this nut on the right, to take the old one out?flip.jpg

Yes, loosen the nut and pull the bat out through the top of the playfield. Put the new one in, align it correctly and make sure there's a little bit of up/down play so it's not binding on the flipper bushing (I use an old credit card with a slot cut into it for this) :thumbs:

Hi, Marty,

Looking at the picture, it seems to me that the flipper assembly has the 'new' type of grey plastic link (new relative to Whirlwind, that is). I found that this type doesn't suit the older-type return spring - it chews up the narrow end of the spring.

Originally, Whirlwind used a different type of flipper link, which was much more pointed at the end pinned into the metal plunger and didn't suffer this problem. Williams changed the return spring arrangement (to an external spring) on Hurricane AIR, before changing the type of link a few games later. As such, the new link wasn't meant to be paired with the older spring. I didn't like either of the new components, and altered games to the old set-up.

Back
Top Bottom