What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing and replacing Data East Side Rails

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
Got some lovely new rails to fit on to a DE Star Wars.

Never actually fitted new side rails before so any advice appreciated. I'm told it's pretty straightforward, but everything is when you have done it before :) Are these just screwed on ? Taped on ? etc etc

Had quick search but could only see guides to other manufacturers rails.

Similar to williams, bolt top and bottom, push in a scraper to break the tape and work your way up the rail taking care not to damage side

Did my TAF ones and TZ more recently. Put tape along the bottom of the rail, heat it up at the front with a hairdryer and work a scraper in at a 45 degree angle, pushing it through the tape and bring the scraper up to level with the rail. Repeat this process along the rail. it works even better if you have someone else to apply some lift to the rail as you're working it off. Take your time and you will get it off without damaging the decal.

I was very careful when doing mine and even put a cloth (pictured) below to stop the handle of the scraper marking the cabinet by touching it (unlikely but I felt better about doing it).

IMG_2533.jpeg

If the DE Star Wars has button area protectors as it seems to you might be better off working from the back of the rail forwards.

A little heat and a plastic scraper, anything but a steel scraper. I know you can't see under the rails if you did scratch it, but I'll know.... They were stuck down well on my DE TFTC. Just the one carriage bolt at the rear if I remember correctly.

I've done DE Hook was straightforward, bolts removed then careful with the scraper working from one end to break tape seal. The pain was removing the sticky stuff left on the cab - I used label remover and Goo Gone, but not sure why I bothered as it's all hidden. I chose not to re-tape mine back on for a huo, but I've heard some can rattle if not taped.

Can't believe you've not had this mission yet, with your length of distinguished service and multiple tours of duty 😃

I've done DE Hook was straightforward, bolts removed then careful with the scraper working from one end to break tape seal. The pain was removing the sticky stuff left on the cab - I used label remover and Goo Gone, but not sure why I bothered as it's all hidden. I chose not to re-tape mine back on for a huo, but I've heard some can rattle if not taped.

Can't believe you've not had this mission yet, with your length of distinguished service and multiple tours of duty 😃

Thanks for the tips - think I'm good to go on this one ⚡

Back
Top Bottom