What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assorted JD questions | Removing a playfield from cabinet.

Gonzo

Site Supporter
Alias
Kris
Morning all.

Having been inspired by Davey I quite fancy removing the playfield from the Judge Dredd but it seems a bit daunting. Are there any generic instructions out there to assist please?

I've had a search of YouTube but can't really find anything decent.

Also does anyone know if there is a list of colour LED's for the pin anywhere? It has GI's in LED's and I probably have enough for the backbox kicking around so only really need the colour inserts. I just wondered if there was already a list with type of bulb and colour required.

Mush appreciated as always.

Last edited:
Do you have the manual? That’ll list all the bulb types you need.

Morning all.

Having been inspired by Davey I quite fancy removing the playfield from the Judge Dredd but it seems a bit daunting. Are there any generic instructions out there to assist please?

I've had a search of YouTube but can't really find anything decent.

Also does anyone know if there is a list of colour LED's for the pin anywhere? It has GI's in LED's and I probably have enough for the backbox kicking around so only really need the colour inserts. I just wondered if there was already a list with type of bulb and colour required.

Mush appreciated as always.
For the LED list try Comet’s full game packs

Edit Ignore me^ they don’t list bulb type.

Do you have the manual? That’ll list all the bulb types you need.

Brilliant Andy, thank you mate. I'll do that.

What a game btw mate. I can't believe this one passed under my radar. so many ramps/shot/things to do.

It appears to be easy enough for the kids to jump on and play but also has a deep enough game to keep me interested. I love how quickly the balls return to the flippers.

I can already tell the Colour DMD will bring out a load of brilliant animations and the call-outs are really good. I'm incredibly happy with it.

Early days of course but this is a keeper I think.

If you register they will send you the pdf file free of the led colour insert map
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/...ent-specifications/3207/noflix-at-judge-dredd
that's what i was looking for!

:clap:

you can always just use a white frosted LED behind all inserts, they make the inserts shine their true colour, not a personified saturated version which isn't to everybody's tastes.

Also easier to order a bag of whites than sit down with your list and order every single bulb individually, only to find they have a specific 1 or 2 out of stock at the time.

I just buy bulk bags of Comet's 2SMD sunlight whites in frosted dome. 75% wedge, 25% bayonet. Any bulbs above the playfield will need to be specific though - like holes with signs above them.

Early days of course but this is a keeper I think.
no such thing, seriously! Took me a while to accept this.

you can always just use a white frosted LED behind all inserts, they make the inserts shine their true colour, not a personified saturated version which isn't to everybody's tastes.

Also easier to order a bag of whites than sit down with your list and order every single bulb individually, only to find they have a specific 1 or 2 out of stock at the time.

I just buy bulk bags of Comet's 2SMD sunlight whites in frosted dome. 75% wedge, 25% bayonet. Any bulbs above the playfield will need to be specific though - like holes with signs above them.

Thanks Paul.

Is there a UK supplier of comets?

Very handy for your led list, I did the white led route in my IJ and happy with it👍

Here’s 3 photos mate, 1st is with warm white LED’s, then coloured LED’s, then incandescent bulbs. Just so you get an idea what each type looks like (Dredd has about 50 bulbs in the back box!)

cc514820f2c7b7c99c7f66533e1913e1.jpg11e529ab25ee253b8e0d4e865e945fc5.jpge8b47329c51564ff246a5e11c3feb167.jpg

I think incandescent looks best but settled on warm white LED’s in the end.

Hi,

Removing a playfield from the cabinet can seem daunting, especially with a wide-body game. Judge Dredd has Williams' slide & lift mechanism, so the procedure's slightly trickier than an older type, too. But to begin with, with the power Off follow the wiring bundle(s) of the playfield up into the backbox, and detach its connectors from the circuit boards. Label each with its 'J-###' number if you wish. If they're still in place, detach the wiring from its tie-bases in the backbox. Push the playfield wiring through the wiring port into the cabinet.

Then lift the playfield and draw the wiring further forward, making sure that it's not likely to catch on cabinet fittings when the playfield's lifted out. F'r instance, use the rubber band on the playfield prop to keep it out of play. Or smooth out the wiring by putting a plastic bag over it all. Place the playfield in the 'latched' position. With assistance, lift the playfield slightly if necessary while pushing down the pointed pivot on each latch, releasing the playfield from the mechanism and allowing you both to lift it out of the cabinet. Even then, it's best to avoid letting the playfield move into any diagonal angle across the cabinet, i.e. try to lift it directly upwards, with both edges at the same point against the cabinet walls.

Last edited:
Here’s 3 photos mate, 1st is with warm white LED’s, then coloured LED’s, then incandescent bulbs. Just so you get an idea what each type looks like (Dredd has about 50 bulbs in the back box!)

cc514820f2c7b7c99c7f66533e1913e1.jpg11e529ab25ee253b8e0d4e865e945fc5.jpge8b47329c51564ff246a5e11c3feb167.jpg

I think incandescent looks best but settled on warm white LED’s in the end.
I really like the middle Andy. The colour LED have really brought out the greens & blues. Cheers for that mate because that's made my mind up. Top darts sir.

Hi,

Removing a playfield from the cabinet can seem daunting, especially with a wide-body game. Judge Dredd has Williams' slide & lift mechanism, so the procedure's slightly trickier than an older type, too. But to begin with, with the power Off follow the wiring bundle(s) of the playfield up into the backbox, and detach its connectors from the circuit boards. Label each with its 'J-###' number if you wish. If they're still in place, detach the wiring from its tie-bases in the backbox. Push the playfield wiring through the wiring port into the cabinet.

Then lift the playfield and draw the wiring further forward, making sure that it's not likely to catch on cabinet fittings when the playfield's lifted out. F'r instance, use the rubber band on the playfield prop to keep it out of play. Or smooth out the wiring by putting a plastic bag over it all. Place the playfield in the 'latched' position. With assistance, lift the playfield slightly if necessary while pushing down the pointed pivot on each latch, releasing the playfield from the mechanism and allowing you both to lift it out of the cabinet. Even then, it's best to avoid letting the playfield move into any diagonal angle across the cabinet, i.e. try to lift it directly upwards, with both edges at the same point against the cabinet walls.

Jay, you've written that really well mate.

It makes absolute sense, thanks so much. 👍

Whilst I have your attention folks.

What's the general consensus regarding powder coating the rails/ball runners?

I would second what Jay said about 'bagging up' the business end of the wiring - keeps all those connectors safe from snagging and catching on stuff as you feed the whole lot through.

I'm going to have a look now. I have the afternoon off!!!!!

It's a terrible thing to have a playfield off its supports and find yourself unable to lift it clear because something has caught - especially if working alone.

It's a terrible thing to have a playfield off its supports and find yourself unable to lift it clear because something has caught - especially if working alone.
To be honest I started then I stopped 😂

I'm on my own so I've decided to strip the playfield whist on and just clean it that way.

I could absolutely see how it was done though so thanks for the tips. I just got to the point where I could see myself getting stuck.

TBF I only encountered a few awkward games which needed such measures, two I bitterly recall being Party Zone and Rollergames. And then only because they had the earlier location system, a simple pivot which left the rear of the playfield almost touching the floor of the cabinet.

TBF I only encountered a few awkward games which needed such measures, two I bitterly recall being Party Zone and Rollergames. And then only because they had the earlier location system, a simple pivot which left the rear of the playfield almost touching the floor of the cabinet.
As you say the wire runs are mental. It's so daunting when you first encounter this stuff.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to make the metal better considering it's attached to the plastic please?

20200123_175940.jpg

Whilst I have your attention folks.

What's the general consensus regarding powder coating the rails/ball runners?

Assume you mean wire form ramps, not ball guides?

Everyone has a different rent opinion obv but I think that powdercoating when done tastefully can look amazing.

Side rails, lockdown bar, backbox brackets, legs, wire ramps, certain metal playfield elements, some people even do the coin door (I like this better left black).

You can even do the cabinet hardware and the backbox pcb plate if you want to go truly nuts.

Assume you mean wire form ramps, not ball guides?

Everyone has a different rent opinion obv but I think that powdercoating when done tastefully can look amazing.

Side rails, lockdown bar, backbox brackets, legs, wire ramps, certain metal playfield elements, some people even do the coin door (I like this better left black).

You can even do the cabinet hardware and the backbox pcb plate if you want to go truly nuts.
These bits Davey mate ...

15798052646868173024575637586787.jpg

Back
Top Bottom