What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remaking the Bally 'Sounds Deluxe' Sound Board

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
So this is the first new pcb on the bench for 2021. A remake and improvement for the bally sounds deluxe board. Taking a delve into 16 bit :). This sound board is one of my favs and need some love so here we are. Based on my previous work with squawk & talk and computer sounds boards. There are a few nice classic bally games using this also some arcade games to.

Games are:

Special Force
Party Animal
Heavy Metal Meltdown
Dungoens & Dragons
Escape from the Lost World
Blackwater 100

I also would like to see if there's a way to use this sound board in Strange Science to, but might not be possible. that game got stuck with the horrible TCS sound board.

IMG_8409.JPG

Screen Shot 2021-01-04 at 12.07.44.png

The other cool thing is this board is compatible with my effects board to so you will be able to get the centaur style echo effects on these games to now.

great work Jim - very appreciative of all those who keep these old greats running.

Thanks for the comments. It is a passion to make these boards. :) If we have any collectors here with any of the above games that would like to test a new sound board when they are ready please let me know

Jim, when you’re soldering all of those components on, do you use any kind extractor for the fumes?

i can see the amount of hours involved in just building that prototype. your eyesight must be spot on
Eyesight still spot on for now! Though I use x20 glasses when fixing smd boards like stern Sam. Plate through is my bag and I’ll continue to use it forever on stuff I make. Plcc is as smd as I ever want to get!

building the prototypes is one of the best parts. In sections and testing as you go. Also much easier to note improvements /changes you want to make as you go one section at a time

some additional things to look at once this is working

- possible rom reduction with larger sizes, 16 bit versions etc
- possible use for this board on strange science and earlier Bally games without music

More assembly pics. Waiting on some processors now before further testing.

5v working, Clock working, reset working

IMG_8576.JPGIMG_8577.JPGIMG_8581.JPGIMG_8582.JPG

Some scope pics during the clock testing

IMG_8578.JPGIMG_8579.JPG

Also, i've got another layout now for possible single rom use option in plcc-44 package instead of the 4 512k roms. This needed variation of the custom pal logic to, so i have 2 pal versions now aswell.

IMG_8585.JPG

Thanks for the comments. It is a passion to make these boards. :) If we have any collectors here with any of the above games that would like to test a new sound board when they are ready please let me know
Happy to test in my Party Animal if it helps, though my SD board is still working ok (with C12 snipped out!)

Dunno why I find these threads by Jim fascinating, cos I ain’t got a clue what’s going on. Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom