What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redesigning a ZX Spectrum 128k - my childhood dream

Woah, that picture is super crisp.

Still interested in this but right now i'm still throwing extra cash at R&B.

Woah, that picture is super crisp.

Still interested in this but right now i'm still throwing extra cash at R&B.

Yes the picture is great on both scart and vga.

The first lot of 10 boards are getting built at the moment and will go to preorders then first come first served. Then they'll be another larger order of pcbs made which will be a few months before more will be available.

So taken a look. Am i right in thinking that we still have to load from tape for this setup? no sd card?

In a word no there's loads of ways to load a game including sd card or usb stick, iPhone etc.

Long answer.

The board has the original tape in jack which you can use an iPhone, usb tape player or other digital device. .tap files and also the enhanced quick load files are readily available. I had a tape player with usb port at the play expo demo. You can also use the divmmc products via the external expansion slot like any other spectrum which have sd card on them and i included an ide connector option for using compact flash card ide adapters. This last option though is dev only at the mo though as to access this requires better improved roms. (128k roms don't have the enhanced os yet like +3 roms do)

The board is a reduced chip count recreation using plate through only so space is limited. Cost is another factor along with complexity of design. Adding stereo sound, scart, vga, kempston joystick port in the space has been a challenge so some things needed to remain external plug ons.

All tests completed. Stereo sound worked out nice and the new keyboard connectors work lovely to. Now starting to build up boards

IMG_8784.JPG IMG_8785.JPG IMG_8786.jpg

Back
Top Bottom