What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommend me a pinball table.

retrogamerdaz

Registered
As I've already mentioned I'm looking at getting my first pinball table very soon. I will be going up to northern lights, but I'd like some recommendations based on the following info.

I dont like fast tables and those with an empty play field as my reactions are pants. I like mechanical shenanigans but have no experience with fixing stuff (I do have 3 electricians in the family though) I am keen on something with a dmd. I a, looking at spending around £600-£800.

Hurricane perhaps!! Not liked by most so it's still cheap, it's dmd and certainly not a fast flowing game. Hell, you could have a brew whilst the ball takes a ride on the ferris wheel!!

I've become rather partial to bride of Pinbot from pinball arcade. Is that in my price range?

I've become rather partial to bride of Pinbot from pinball arcade. Is that in my price range?

It's within your price range although you might be looking at one with wear or some issues to fix. It's a great game and has risen in popularity, i guess due to Pinball Arcade, but if it's your only game then you might get bored of it quicker than others as it's basically a one shot game....shoot the ramp, and again, and again etc etc
smile-1.png

Hmm that might be an issue. I'll only have space for one at first. So I'll need something that will keep my interest

Northern Lights show is going to be your best bet so you can try a few different games out....bring cash and a car that will fit a pinball machine
smile-1.png
In terms of recommendations off the top of my head.....

• Lethal Weapon 3
  • Last Action Hero
  • Tales from the Crypt
  • World Cup Soccer (this was my first pin)
  • Star Wars
  • Judge Dredd
  • Demolition Man
  • Black Rose

With pin prices as they are at the moment some of the above might be outside your £800 max budget these days but others are well within it. Couple of places to have a look are....

List of best bang for your buck pins:

http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/bangforbuck

Videos of loads of different games inc most of the ones I've listed above so you can get an idea of what they're like:

http://pinball.org/videos/

I had a look at Hurrican on some videos and it looks a little bland. Will it be at Northern Lights?

I think Flintstones is a great game for low money, better than the JD and DM IMO, it's all down to what floats your boat, best try a few budget titles to see what clicks.

What's dm? Oh and whats the etiquette when finding machines? Is it shared, or do they get snapped up before others get a chance to buy them? I've seen this happen on the arcade side of things which is pretty sucky.

Hi there, DM is the Demo Man, an entry level pin which is OK but that's about it, it can be a dog fight when it comes to getting a popular machine or one that is grossly under priced, expect pingazzumping and allsorts although if it's on the forum or overpriced there will be a bit more reserved play, you generally have to move fast if it's cheap or in demand, you won't have that problem with the Demo Man
wink-1.png

You can find out what's out there and what people think of it on here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100

You can also type in the acronym on this site to find out what the hell people are rambling on about
smile-1.png

I reckon between £750 - £900 maybe a bit more. They suffer from bad wear around the filing cabinet so look out for that. They also have the sega backbox which isn't to everyone's taste.

Not played it but heard a few moan about how crap it is in the past, the best advice is try and play any machine you have in your sights before you buy, I would guess £650-£800 for an x-files, someone else will be able to give you more advice on this machine.

retrogamerdaz' date=' post: 1697954 said:
What sort of price does x files go for? It looks quite cool.

don't do it man, for the love of god, don't do it.

X files is a steaming turd (one man's opinion, others may love it - but i've never heard of one, and there's plenty agree that it sucks ****)

[attachment=1268:24 carat crap.jpg]

Don't worry, I'm not going to buy blind. I'm hopefully going to salisbury and will be at Manchester. I'm just impatiant...

retrogamerdaz' date=' post: 1697967 said:
I'm just impatiant...
I was too, I remember purchasing a toy Simpsons pinball machine for my daughter as a pressie to get a little fix before I managed to source my 1st machine, then came the real thing and the rest is history......pinball will change your life, be warned :eek: .

retrogamerdaz' date=' post: 1697954 said:
What sort of price does x files go for? It looks quite cool.

Until recently you could hardly give an X Files away ....seriously you would be lucky to get £400 for it ...however prices have risen a bit and you would prob pay 600+ these days, if you really wanted one :confused: IT IS ONE OF THE WORST PINBALL MACHINES OF THE 90s

retrogamerdaz' date=' post: 1697824 said:
As I've already mentioned I'm looking at getting my first pinball table very soon. I will be going up to northern lights, but I'd like some recommendations based on the following info.

I dont like fast tables and those with an empty play field as my reactions are pants. I like mechanical shenanigans but have no experience with fixing stuff (I do have 3 electricians in the family though) I am keen on something with a dmd. I a, looking at spending around £600-£800.

At the end of the day its what you like as one mans turd is another mans fave game

a £600-£00 dmd is certainly doable but sadly nowadays you MAY need a bit more.Ya need to play more and decide what YOU like.pinmame can help a bit

IMO xfiles,along with SWtrilogy and Data East Batman are just horrible.

Dont rule out older games such as sys 11 games - they can be great fun as can older Gtlb or Bally

.. You could well like it. Each to their own.

Play it & see.

Pinballs are down to personal preference.. TZ is number 1.. It is not my favorite table.

retrogamerdaz' date=' post: 1698100 said:
So why is x-files so bad! The table looks fun. Also what is the sets black box?

The funny thing is I had an x-files in my line up and whenever friends and family came around to play that would be their first choice. Since getting shot of it the number of times I've been asked why did I get rid. Its not a bad pin being fair but there are 100's of better pins out there.

If I was you I'd keep an eye out for a Congo or a Jurassic park, both sub 1k and overall pretty fun pins.

Back
Top Bottom