What's new

Re-decalling

Andy Hancock

Site Supporter
Hi all
Does anyone on here do redecalling for others ? I know it’s probably a long job but I’d be happy to pay and also leave the machine as a loan for a while if that suits anyone ?
I’ve got a Williams IJ that I thought would like nice if redone as it’s faded (although cabinet is good so no work on that required)
I’ve got the decals

Also the truth is we’re going to be moving house and I need to make ours look a little (ahem) less cluttered up with pinballs whilst it’s on the market so will probably be looking to loan this out anyway

So in short . Anyone want my IJ for a few months who could do the decals for a few Bob ?

Don’t ask and all that .....

I’ve used Matt Adams in the past. I know @replicas has done it in the past and maybe @newdos
However don’t think a few bob will cover it. You’re probably looking around £500+ just for the labour and that was about 5 years ago when I had it done. You’ll not get too much change from a grand once you include decals, maybe side rails and shipping.

I probably put 40 hours work into mine (although there was learning involved). It would have to be quite a few bob to tempt me to do it again. The costs of paint and stuff are surprising too.

Last edited:
Oh I didn’t realise it was quite so involved. Happy to pay the going rate of course but if it’s over £500 not sure that’s worth doing as I’m not convinced it will add that to the value and I’m not fussed myself

Anyone want to buy some IJ decals? ?

Happy to pay the going rate of course but if it’s over £500 not sure that’s worth doing as I’m not convinced it will add that to the value and I’m not fussed myself

You almost certainly won't get it back if you pay someone to do it, although IJ is popular, so who knows.
If it's a quick sand down, paint the edges, stick decals and reuse the rails job, you may well get that done for under £500. I was advised to sand, prime, sand again, paint, sand, prime, etc, ad nauseam.

Oh I didn’t realise it was quite so involved. Happy to pay the going rate of course but if it’s over £500 not sure that’s worth doing as I’m not convinced it will add that to the value and I’m not fussed myself

Anyone want to buy some IJ decals? ?

You mustn’t look at it as “will I get my money back”
You’ll never get your money back if you’re paying someone else to do it.

It’s like anything. If you don’t do it well, it’ll look a pig. It’s all in the prep.....
Says the man who paid someone else to do it ???.

Agree with all said - lost of hours go into a re-decal job too many to even count. Pretty sure I have made a loss on every re-decal job I have done and then sold on, but that's not what it is all about. When you see a redecalled FT after it has been totally faded it looks stunning!!!

It's the sort of job that - like changing all the bulbs to LEDs - you're going to pay a kings ransom for someone else to do it even if on paper doesn't seem like a huge job just because of the sheer amount of time involved in doing it.

The biggest transformation in anything that's redecaled has got to be a Indy Jones.
From a washed out faded cab to a full colour vibrant cab, nothing comes close. Well worth doing it makes such a difference.
If you are going to the trouble of getting your cab redecaled then don't scrimp on anything, get new side rails.
Can I ask one thing, are the decals you have genuine decals or cheaper copys ?

I’m not sure I like the joins at the front of the cab with the Rad CALS. Looks a bit of a bodge job to me too.

The biggest transformation in anything that's redecaled has got to be a Indy Jones.
From a washed out faded cab to a full colour vibrant cab, nothing comes close.

You may be right but anything that had red in it will look so much better.

jm-b4-after.jpg

Back
Top Bottom