What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RBION - NO Sound

MartinY

Registered
Pinball gurus

I replaced the CPU / Sound board in my RBION. Paul kindly created the ROMs for me (the board was missing from the machine). All works except I have no sound. I get a speaker "crack" on boot up but no sound whatsoever. Through the test menus not even the test tone works through the speakers. Cabling to the speakers appears fine....

I've checked all the ROMs and the appear to be seated correctly and the right way up (the other ROMs work so I assume I haven't done anything dumb here). I assume that the test tone should work even without the ROMs but not sure.

Reading through the manual (p26), it states "Voice ROMS U17, U21, U36 and/or U37 which are 8MB must have a jumper at W6 on the CPU/Sound Board to function properly. Not sure if this is related, but I assume I should get sound even if it was needed. Also, can't find W6 on the CPU/Sound board.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Martin

From memory these were taken directly from the archive on the stern website.... happy to re-burn and re-send... not so sure if i have the Roms at present as my stock is currently stuck in transit....

Is your sound board 520-5136? If it is you will never get sound, as the boards were modified after lotr.
Check you have 520-5300 before you bother doing anything at all..........
K.

From memory these were taken directly from the archive on the stern website.... happy to re-burn and re-send... not so sure if i have the Roms at present as my stock is currently stuck in transit....
Cheers Paul. Hoping it might be something else ...

Pinball gurus

I replaced the CPU / Sound board in my RBION. Paul kindly created the ROMs for me (the board was missing from the machine). All works except I have no sound. I get a speaker "crack" on boot up but no sound whatsoever. Through the test menus not even the test tone works through the speakers. Cabling to the speakers appears fine....

I've checked all the ROMs and the appear to be seated correctly and the right way up (the other ROMs work so I assume I haven't done anything dumb here). I assume that the test tone should work even without the ROMs but not sure.

Reading through the manual (p26), it states "Voice ROMS U17, U21, U36 and/or U37 which are 8MB must have a jumper at W6 on the CPU/Sound Board to function properly. Not sure if this is related, but I assume I should get sound even if it was needed. Also, can't find W6 on the CPU/Sound board.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Martin

if you have a new board then you might need to run the firmware update rom first then reinstall the sound roms.

to do this you install a special rom at U7 temporarily and this updates the firmware at U8 (from memory)

I can create you the rom if needed. The stern files are no longer available from the links they published years back

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb157.pdf

Last edited:
if you have a new board then you might need to run the firmware update rom first then reinstall the sound roms.

to do this you install a special rom at U7 temporarily and this updates the firmware at U8 (from memory)

I can create you the rom if needed. The stern files are no longer available from the links they published years back

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb157.pdf
Thanks for this Jim. LED1 on the board flashes 8 times so looks like O/S 8. @Paul , is the U7 ROM O/S8?

Last edited:
Thanks for this Jim. LED1 on the board flashes 8 times so looks like O/S 8. @Paul , is the U7 ROM O/S8?
The Rom is the latest from Stern off their Website - so i would fairly confidently guess yes...

However the process is as per the SB attached - but you need a special Rom to stick in there to "upgrade" it and then replace the rom i sent... I'll get one in the post...

Back
Top Bottom