What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RBION hypersensitive switch?

kevlar

Site Supporter
Alias
Kevin Donovan
I have a problem with switch 16, shooter lane. Diagnostics reports the switch as hypersensitive and while playing the machine the switch does play up, for instance not immediately launching a ball during multiball yet when testing in diag>switch matrix it appears to work perfectly. I've tried adjusting it but it isn't that, with a ball present the switch is made and with a ball absent the switch is open. Another thing which may or may not be related is after powering up and going into diag>switch matrix view the idol opto is made until any other switch on the machine is operated then that opto changes to not made. Not sure if this is normal or not, would be nice for someone with an RBION to checks theirs for me.

Scratching my head a bit, any help appreciated.

Kev

Not getting anywhere with this fault, switch seems perfect, diode seems to measure the same as other diodes, no other faults on the machine.

So let me get this right, the idle opto shows closed on the matrix, but as soon as any other switch is triggered, including switch 16, it clears the idol opto?

Take a picture of your switch matrix diag.

Kev, with the pf glass removed put it in active swith test mode and thump the sides of the cabinet and the playfield. See if any vibrations are activating the switch...

So let me get this right, the idle opto shows closed on the matrix, but as soon as any other switch is triggered, including switch 16, it clears the idol opto?

Take a picture of your switch matrix diag.
That's correct Carl, I'll do that when I get home.

Interesting... My RBION has had the same hypersensitive trough switch problem for the two years since I bought it, but it never caused a problem until recently, now it starts sending out too many balls sometimes.

I'll try the thump the sides trick, as suggested. Perhaps another thing to try is to pull each trough switch off individually and put a new one in and connect temporarily with croc clips, maybe isolate the problem further.

Put the machine in switch test mode. Put a ball on the switch. The switch shows closed.

Now go to the back of the switch and wiggle the solder tabs of the switch. If the switch is good, then there will be no status change. If the internal contacts are intermittent then you will see switch activity when you disturb the contacts. In this case the switch is bad and needs to be replaced.

Thanks Andy, it's definitely intermittent, I had quite a few games yesterday with no problem so I'll try your suggestion.

Kev

Me too, thanks! (Might take a while though...)

I have a problem with switch 16, shooter lane. Diagnostics reports the switch as hypersensitive and while playing the machine the switch does play up, for instance not immediately launching a ball during multiball yet when testing in diag>switch matrix it appears to work perfectly. I've tried adjusting it but it isn't that, with a ball present the switch is made and with a ball absent the switch is open. Another thing which may or may not be related is after powering up and going into diag>switch matrix view the idol opto is made until any other switch on the machine is operated then that opto changes to not made. Not sure if this is normal or not, would be nice for someone with an RBION to checks theirs for me.

Scratching my head a bit, any help appreciated.

Kev

I have owned this pin for years,was my first N.I.B

What this will be is you are undoubtedly going for the potential lucrative skill shot as loadsa points,for the game yes?

In doing so you will be doing soft plunges,as anything other just hits a gravestone target or summat else.
Because of this lots of soft plunges go back to trough and get spat back out as little points scores,and saver timer still on.

So potentially this one switch is the only switch,or one of only a small amount to be hit.

The software aint expecting to see the switch activated too often,so reports this "phantom" error.

If the game could be reprogrammed to only report this as an error say after +20 more switches it would be ok.

So it aint a switch error,just an error in software in when to report a switch error for that particular switch

poibug

Thanks Poi, this may be a problem but in my case it looks like the switch is intermittently faulty as being an abuser of the fast restart, with a ball sat on the shooter lane switch and pressing the start button to restart, most of the time it works fine but occasionally a 2nd ball is served to the plunger. This proves that the machine didn't think there was a ball there. I've got a replacement switch here now and will swap it today.

Ok thank you! I have a new switch on the way. It has been blowing my mind all weekend.

Mine has done this intermittently in the past, and has just cleared itself. Sounds like Poibug may be correct.

Thanks Paul, I haven't given that switch a rest since that alert went up. Perhaps that is why it keeps alerting now every 20 games or so. I will try playing it normal for awhile & see if that clears it

Would the software change the behavior of the switch once it detects it being activated "too much" ? It's just odd to me that the switch will change behavior the second that alert gets thrown. As soon as that alert pops up the auto launch is delayed, along with occasional ball stacking in the shooter lane during multi ball. Immediately after a reset all is good but then it returns. This cycle can keep being repeated

A also noticed this same thing below as kevlar when going into test mode. I've ordered new idol optos to see if that could be contributing to the problem

" Another thing which may or may not be related is after powering up and going into diag>switch matrix view the idol opto is made until any other switch on the machine is operated then that opto changes to not made. Not sure if this is normal or not, would be nice for someone with an RBION to checks theirs for me. "

I have never been able to get my idol opto to work properly. I have tried new optos, new opto board under the playfield. The software seems to compensate by registering an idol hit when the adjacent graveyard standup is hit. Maybe @Poibug can offer a theory?

The idol opto works in a strange way on rbion as I think it is actually switched on and off by the cpu as sometimes you will see it lit up red and other times not

It looks like Poibug was correct. I played 5 games or so like a normal human at lunch today, & the alert / game issues cleared itself. Everything works as it should now. I was giving that switch constant abuse (intentionally draining balls to reload the shooter lane, etc) after that switch error was thrown up therefore the alert / game issues never left. I'm sure this would have come up in the past for me when I've played but i only recently turned my alerts on. Thanks everyone !!

Back
Top Bottom