What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Project Apollo - Games/Gym Room Build

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2463

Interestingly seeing Dave's post and many of the other fantastic posts on pinsheds I've decided to build a bigger one. I really got motivated for doing this when I saw a video of Julian's place a few weeks ago. I'm out of space and I've got 4 machines in the garage and one more on the way and two in my office! Gives me plenty of space for what I need and I will be able to do competitions there also.

I'm going to basically steal Julian's idea almost exactly but that and add air conditioning and more cabling so I can stream etc. Also having a space for a gym for the wife.

So 8.5x6.5 on a concrete base. Fortunately my existing room has 80 Amps of power and an A/C system that I can add another unit to it and use it.

Here is my rough logical plan would love to get input on what I might have missed.

Cheers,
Neil.

Attachments

• pinworm-2.jpg
    pinworm-2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 180
sorry meant to post this in the shop thread - mods can you move :D LOL

mine probably won't move until late September.

Big thanks to Julian, who answered an endless list of questions!

Yes, that wa originally built as a gym but the wife never used it so I Hijacked it - fortunately it can be transplanted and someone is interested in buying it so not a compete throw away but still a waste of money but when I built it I didn't have any plans for any pinball machines :)

Downside is that there will be probably 2-3 month period when I don't have a room for my games - I can probably get 3 maybe 4 in the house without the wife getting upset (2 already in the house). So the rest will be tombstoned in the garage :(

I was trying to find a bigger house with a big dedicated room that I could use but never found anything that I liked as much as my curerent place - also though about doing a double garage conversion which I have the space for but I have two protected trees and anything that might interfere with the roots apparently is a big no no. But not fully ruled that option or yet until I get some advice from a planning expert (!). Spent last night reading the last few months planning applications and to say that Woking is somewhat strange in what it approves and doesn't is an understatement. I can actually build without planning but there are a couple of things that will be easier if I get planning.

Cheers,
Neil.

Yes, that wa originally built as a gym but the wife never used it so I Hijacked it - fortunately it can be transplanted and someone is interested in buying it so not a compete throw away but still a waste of money but when I built it I didn't have any plans for any pinball machines :)
Nice looking plan, reading this section I'd make sure that the gym walls are a temporary fix that way you can remove them and get another 4 pins in when your wife doesn't use the gym!

Good luck with the build.

Great minds think alike :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've got the bones of one just need a CPU card and some roms and the cables to connect the boards together. Will sort this once I get into my new room!

Still amazed no comments on the carpet LOL :)

So its looking like I need to go down the planning route. I'm trying to put the room as close to the edge of my rear garden, But at the size I want there is one corner where the boundary is curved that means I'm not 2m away from the boundary. I can avoid that but I waste a huge amount of garden space that the wife (and actually I'm also) not happy about.

I've found this that they can do 8.5x6.5

Garden-Room-Bcorner-a.jpg

Now I wouldn't do the glazing but a big version of this would be perfect, they can insulate it also. I would have liked to have gone the height that Julian has in his cabin for hanging neons and a projector.

Cheers,
Neil.

no :) but cheaper than me ballsing it up for sure LOL

all in its looking around the 35K mark. but Ive gone conservative on a couple of costs so maybe 3K less. The most expensive quote I've had puts it in the 55K mark.

no :) but cheaper than me ballsing it up for sure LOL

all in its looking around the 35K mark. but Ive gone conservative on a couple of costs so maybe 3K less. The most expensive quote I've had puts it in the 55K mark.
Jeeezuz!!!!!! MIne cost me less than 6k finished!!! but I did the lot myself

Yeah handy if you have the time and the skills :) I have neither :)

Only thing with gyms you have to tidy em up. See The Dungeon below..

20170815_140253.jpg

my wife is an OCD tidy freak (which has pros and cons :))

Looking good that Ian, your making far too much money off insurance brokering ;)

ok so planning has gone in :clap: used a local planning expert who thinks this should be straight forward. Although I have one neighbour who might whinge but in his view there is little she can do that will be a valid planning objection and I can build this via permitted development if I move it further into the garden.

Struggling to find someone to build the concrete base at the moment at a sensible price!

This is where life amuses me; you'll have to ask me at a meet why but suffice to say that some builders really do try and take the ****!

The cabin makers I've selected won't do more than a 150mm base and I really want 300mm minimum.
Insulation wise, Building regulations are nuts, but its not far from what many have you have done.

As I'm a home automation freak I've been looking at light and other options. I've got Lightwave RF everywhere in my house so will extend that with the new homekit stuff coming out next month.

I'm going to run power, HDMI and CAT6 to a number of places around the room along with the electrak similar to Julian's for lights above the machines. I found this on pinside and have ordered it :D LOL

For HDMI/network I'll have sockets spread down each main wall and a few other places. Found a way to bring them together and I've got a HDMI metrix switcher so can switch any port to any port, have already run CAT6 down to So during my streams I'll be able to setup quicker and during meets I'll be able to show any game on projector/screen or via stream so people can watch finals etc.

I've figured out how to keep my games in the house whilst the build happens so thats less of a concern now but it means for a couple of months worse case I will only have one game I can play.

Just want to get this built now!

Neil.

Neil

If you are putting in for planning, it means that you might as well add a bit to the height to give yourself plenty of clearance for toppers. All these shed folk instinctively go for dimensions that fall within permitted development - but once you are out of that regime you can tailor it to your requirements

Neighbours complaining is pretty irrlevant really. Planning is supposed to be an objective assessment based on facts. It is only if your neighbours highlight relevant facts that your council was unaware of that it might become a problem.

Back
Top Bottom