What's new

Preferences re. skill shots

Jay Walker

Registered
I was reminded just now about the plunger skill shot on M & M Pac-Man, which I found unsuitably difficult in comparison with the game itself and the intended 'crossover' player appeal.

Do people tend to prefer 'weight' skill shots, 'timing' ones, or combined ones?

Some examples:
  • Weight - simply the power used to dispatch the ball, such as Williams Fire!, Cyclone, Pin-Bot, Bride of Pin-Bot, Arabian Nights, Addams Famla', and most games with a set of top rollover lanes but lacking Lane Change, even if only for the skill shot, e.g. Jokerz!

• Timing - the crucial factor is timing the release of the ball, for instance Medusa* (which even says "Time your shot, light Gorgons" - I initially heard that as 'like the Gods'), Truck Stop, Taxi, Diner. Almost by default, many games with electric launch have a timing-based skill shot, if they have one at all, e.g. Judge Dredd (Air Raid), Terminator 2, DE Star Wars

• Combined - Both elements are important, sometimes equally so, sometimes not. A good example of this is the Bally 2-player e/m 'Time Zone' (and its 4-player version). Each ball served out has the motorised 'Time Tunnel' feature running; a switch in the shooter lane stops it, giving the timing factor. The weight consideration comes from being able to collect the lit tunnel value from a single central rollover lane at the top of the playfield, in open space. So gauging the weight to use is primary, then matching that weight to stopping the tunnel at a high value. Another, less complex combination shot is the 'Door Prize' on Party Animal; the ball only has one pathway, but the weight is still in play if it's rebounding above the entry rollover lane while the different values advance automatically

Then some games have an unintended skill shot. Stern 'Seawitch' has a short lane low on the right, leading below an upper flipper and back into the (short) shooter lane, though a perfectly clean shot can fly right through the entry gate and directly back into play. A 'star' rollover button in the lane awards a Special when lit. Occasionally a ball creeps through the lane without registering. If the Special's lit, it might be worth sending the ball just far enough to clear the 'groove' in the wood, then nudging the m/c sideways in an attempt to have it fall to the left and come back down the lane, collecting the Special from the star r/o button. I don't think the designer had this in mind.

* Edit - Medusa does also have a weight element to the sk. shot.

Last edited:
Personally I like the timing ones, I just find them more fun. Funny though I had a mate over last weekend who was playing my TZ and I think the most fun he had was with the skillshot, "I could do this all day!".

Medusa, as you mentioned David has a very satisfying skillshot although I would say its a combination of timing AND weight , i.e you may get the timing right but if the ball is going too fast it isn't going to hit all 5 star rollovers, I used to pull the plunger back about 1 1/2".

Ghostbusters has an awesome selection of skillshots, best I've seen but the rewards can be very unbalanced. 10% of your current score can see some huge rewards, 152m being my best. I've also heard of people seeing that they have a huge bonus that is held then plunge for 5x multiplier earning 250m in bonus alone on next ball.

Last edited:
before lane change most games technically had a plunger skill shot as you aimed for the top lane with the most reward. some games have a sweet plunge point rather than a game rule reward. think black knight where just the right force bounces ball from held top right flipper onto left flipper for an easy lock shot. casual players would watch in awe as you went plunge flip plunge flip plunge flip then multiball.

Big Guns has an identical skill shot to MM Pacman. (shameless plug please see trade post LOL)

Weight and timing are both important but it's weight for me. My favourite skill shot is the plunger-to-left-outlane super skill shot on Congo.

I prefer "true" skill shots, i. e. You must make a shot from the flipper, either from a controlled feed such as Indy 500 or Shadow, or on the fly such as Super skill shots on Star Trek, Metallica, etc.

I prefer "true" skill shots, i. e. You must make a shot from the flipper, either from a controlled feed such as Indy 500 or Shadow, or on the fly such as Super skill shots on Star Trek, Metallica, etc.

And let's not forget the WH2O combo of weight on to the upper playfield and then from the flipper into one of the two ramp entrances. Now that's a skill shot!

Whirlwind has something in that line; dropping the ball from the plunger straight onto the right flipper leaves the 3-bank active. The value from hitting it with your first shot can be doubled if a ricochet hits the single target immediately afterwards (apparently).

You're right about Medusa, Kev - I should've counted it as a combination.

And Big Guns was another that I found pretty difficult, though it loaded a gun when made.

Back
Top Bottom