What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powder Coating Prep Advice

Judderman

Site Supporter
Hi

Having read about you guys getting stuff powder coated has made me consider it - some of my metalwork is looking decidedly ropey -

20200125_103505.jpg 20200125_103513.jpg 20200125_103523.jpg

Do I need to sand them smooth (or even back to metal) before getting them coated, or is that usually part of the service?

^^^^^yeah just make sure they carefully blast it off with the correct type/size of media. Pinball parts are delicate. If in doubt, they can chemical strip the old sh*t off 👍
Tell them you want to avoid warping at all costs.

^^^^^yeah just make sure they carefully blast it off with the correct type/size of media. Pinball parts are delicate. If in doubt, they can chemical strip the old sh*t off 👍
Tell them you want to avoid warping at all costs.
Cheers mate, good advice that I hadn't considered.

Cheers mate, good advice that I hadn't considered.
Main reason for warping:-

Wrong size / type of media used during blasting causing impact damage
Too close to metal work during blasting causing heat and impact damage
Glass media is less likely to cause damage to thinner sheet metal used at correct angle.

I got my Powder Coat Guy to media blast the hinges and legs and then use chemical striping of the Stern Black Crinkle finish using Methylene Chloride on the side rail armour and lock down bar to play it safe.

Don’t try and powder straight over the Stern existing finish as the powder won’t bond properly, really needs the bare metal to give better result otherwise it gets messy. 👍

Really cheap considering the difference it makes, gives the machine a whole new look!

Really cheap considering the difference it makes, gives the machine a whole new look!

Well that remains to be seen Andy 😂

I just thought that there was too much yellow & orange on the playfield so picked one of the other colours.

@Gonzo where was that mate? We have one over this way but always looking for better (well cheaper!) options :thumbs:

Hi all, thinking of having my JP powder coated - what’s the going rate for a set of Stern armour? Is it expensive?

£70 for my GOTG

That included legs, lockbar, rails, speaker panel, plunge housing and backbox hinges

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think the price also depends on whether they have the colour in their stock inventory.
Some places carry quite a few RALs not so much the different Candy powders.
I know some places I contacted were going to charge for acquiring the powder.

yeah for sure, if you go for a colour they don't have, some of them will walk away, others will want you to pay for the colour incase they never use it again.

I’ll be making some calls tomorrow - what do I need to ask to make sure they don’t warp everything h as then it’s VERY expensive

just show them the rails and tell them they bend easy. so be gentle.

Neil.

yup, easy on sterns.

Just be careful on the hinges, the carriage bolts are made of cheese.

Neil.

Back
Top Bottom