What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potentially stupid question time

Carl Spiby

Registered
When ordering LEDs for a machine, do you have to visually check each bulb type (bayonet/wedge)? I know theres bulb locations listed in a manual, but as far as I'm aware the type isn't listed too.

It's all the more important when you are trying to colour code bulbs to the inserts on the machine.

Cheers

Having led'd 6 machines now ( not with a kit ) I would say yes, check each one. It's usually pretty easy, they tend to be mostly one type with just a few of the other type if that makes sense. Worth checking though, I just got caught out on the upper playfield of TSPP, the inserts up there are 555's but they are mounted side on so directional lamps like most superbrights are no good, had to re-order a few flex type LEDs. The point being I would have known if I had checked properly.

Hi best way unless you want to completely customize your machine is to buy an Insert kit for your machine.

You have a choice between

Standard Concave = More like incandescent but about 22% brighter but advantage is colour coded to the inserts and less power draw.
Super Bright (SMD x 1) = Very bright and intense and very nice looking on more modern machines
Premium 2 (SMD x 2 with cap) = Not as bright as superbright but the 2 x Surface Mount Diodes spread the light more evenly and has its own cap that has a frosted edge to stop light being defracted to other inserts. Also these should not ghost.

You have selected you insert kit they will be colour coded to your inserts. Please not if you have purple inserts sometimes you will receive Cool white leds as they actually look much nicer. Pink will be replaced with warm white giving a nice effect. We do not sell pink leds.

Next step count up your G.I. if you want to upgrade them. These are normally the little bayonet types that sit under the sling shots and either sides of the flippers and up and down the playfield. If you can't bother to count them just order around 40 in either cool or warm white. 40 should be enough for most machines.
G.I. is great in cool white for most machines. However if you wish to keep more of the warm incandescent look then order the warm whites. Dracula looks great in blue and purple for G.I. :)

If you have a Stern machine most backbox will be lit up by a single flourescent tube so no led's needed here.

For Williams/Bally and other types remove your translite and count the bulbs and see if they are #44 bayonet or #555 wedge type. Please note there are sometimes flashers too so count them also. You can turn on the flasher test on your machine and close the coin door whilst the translite is off to count your flashers. They are normally larger type bulbs. #906 are wedge type and #89 are bayonet type.

Next go into test and activate the flasher test and shut the coin door to assure you have the high power turned on. Count your flashers on your playfield. You can always lift the playfield and check to see if they are fat bayonet type #89 which we do in a variety of colours or the #906 wedge type.
All of this can be done in most cases in less than 10 minutes.

Be adventurous as you like. All our leds are guaranteed for 1 year no other seller does this.

Need help please ring us on 07702 800 999 anytime or for a friendly chat.

If you order the wrong leds we will replace them free of charge.

If you want to return any for a refund because of over ordering no problem.

If you are unhappy in any way send them all back for a full refund.

Lastly regarding ghosting information can be found on our FAQ page on our site.

Bally/Williams machines between 1991 and April 1996 firmware can be updated to correct the lamp matrix code and eliminate ghosting. Machines April 1996 onwards should already have the patched supplied as standard.

Please note we also offer in this forum a 10% discount on all orders. Pay as normal send me an email saying "where is my discount" and I will refund within 24 hours 10% back to you via paypal excluding delivery.

More information on www.pinball-led.co.uk

Most of all have fun with your machines!

David Mainwaring

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom