What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Police Force Shop Log

Wizcat

Registered
Alias
Paul G
In spring last year I tackled my first ever strip/clean/reassemble on a Batman Forever. I was a bit daunted at first as more and more parts came off the playfield, but happily things all went well. I also found it a pretty enjoyable and rewarding experience.

So when I had the opportunity to purchase a machine that was sold as 'needing a bit of work' I pretty much leapt at it. That was last summer. I'm not exactly the quickest at working on these things...

01.jpg

When I picked it up it was literally covered in dust. You couldn't see through the glass to the playfield, and with the glass removed it wasn't much prettier.

The faults were many. Motor that moves the car entirely missing. Drop targets entirely gummed up (someone had oiled them. Nice). 90% of all plastics cracked. Mylar bubbling all over the lower playfield, to the point it affected the ball. Upper playfield not mylared, and worn through to the wood in various places.

05.jpg

Grime on the rails. It was only a few days ago when I started to clean these that I realised they should be shiny, and not a gun metal colour

29.jpg

Pretty sure that these ramps should be transparent too!

33.jpg

Started the strip down last year. Looking back through the photos now its a little horrifying to see that the best memory aids I have for reassembly are crappy photos like this:

t04.jpg

..and photos of parts in semi breakdown (screw goes through ball guide, then post, then washer. Great. Just hope I can find these parts again later)

t08.jpg

Stripdown well under way. I decided the mylar had to come off. Like I say, it was affecting ball travel, and also looked terrible.

t12.jpg

I was expecting it to pull up a lot of the insert text (it was already easy to see in a lot of places where it had lifted, the text was stuck to the mylar rather than the playfield). With that in mind I ordered replacement insert decals from the US, then got stuck in with the freeze spray approach

t28.jpg

Some guys on pinside were talking about using flour to remove the remaining glue. I took that approach and can fully recommend it. Splash some 'sticky stuff remover' (or goo gone/etc) around, scrape up as much goop as possible, sprinkle flour over the rest. Push flour around with finger and it soaks up the glue. You end up with balls of chewing gum like goop, and an entirely clean playfield, no scrubbing required.

With the mylar off I continued into unexplored territory (my previous shop was much simpler) by removing all playfield posts. You can see just how rusty some of them were here, and also note the discolouration in the top half of the playfield which had not been covered in mylar. This photo was used as a guide to label all the different types of post that were scattered around the playfield.

t35.jpg

Reactions: jww
Here is the top half of the playfield, entirely stripped. Showing the playfield wear and discolouration.

v01.jpg

Santa brought me an airbrush at Xmas, and I was keen to try it out. Frisket masking film ordered. 5 mins experimentation on blank paper, then just went for it...

This area of yellow had heavy ball swirl marks, and missing paint near insert. Covered with frisket, then cut out a mask (just barely visible here)

v04.jpg

Much (much) spraying later and this is the result. Pretty pleased really. I had (semi)deliberately left a tiny gap at the edge of the side which I now realise was a mistake. I may go back to touch that up. I realise after this that its better to just cut mask as accurately as possible, rather than leaving a 'tiny safety margin'

v06.jpg

Some guys on pinside helpfully posted pics of how the playfield should look, enabling me to sketch back in the missing parts and cut out a mask for the red area over the pop bumpers

v08.jpg

Again, lots of red spray applied (three seperate 'sessions', each laying down several fine coats). This is the result, and where things stand at the moment.

v12.jpg

Next up is to respray the white areas, and there is a lot of white. I'll probably take the playfield entirely out of the cabinet to tackle that.

Yep exactly. Cuts with minimal pressure and just tacky enough to prevent overspray, but not so tacky that it lifts up paint as it is removed. Great stuff.

Excellent Paul. Very brave ! Haven't plunged 'that' far on one yet myself.

Will be good to see the end result.

This is quality Paul. Very interesting project and you are really tackling the issues well. Thanks for all the pictures, this is what we want.

Made a bit more progress on this.

Had to take the playfield out to get the wooden support rails off. This still strikes me as a dumb design, so just incase anyone else isnt aware, to take off the 'support rails' (which is the name I'm giving to the long wooden rails that span the length of the playfield) you need to take off the hinge that the playfield lifts up on. (and to do that you obviously need to take the game entirely out of the cab). The only reason you need to do all this is because two of the diddling screws are *underneath* the hinge bracket:

support-rails.jpg
(5 screws of the hinge bracket removed and placed to the side so you can see the two screws going through to the support rail)

Anywho. With the playfield out of the cab I gave it a bit of a spruce up. Went from this:
10.jpg

To this:
15.jpg

..which just involved a relatively minor bit of sanding to the bottom of the cab. Also scrubbed the wire looms and polished the prop bar (because I'm a bit anal like that). Was very tempted to go the whole 9 yards and respray the sides, but will probably revisit that when I'm nearer to completion (to save it being scratched up with any more in/out of the playfield)

Also started respraying the white areas of the playfield. This action shot shows just how yellowed some of the white had become.

20.jpg

22.jpg

Still have a few areas of white to mask/redo (large area at the left. And some at the top right), but this is where things are currently up to.

25.jpg

And just for my own satisfaction, a 'before' and 'now' shot. Can't really say 'after' yet as I still have a bunch to do on this

Progress-A.jpg
Now:
Progress-B.jpg

Top Class work, Its going to look pretty sweet once finished.
Its just a shame its a Police Force (only joking).

Cheers chaps. And yep - figured if any of this goes bad (which it may yet do - reassembly could be a 'mare) Police Force wouldn't be too bad a loss :p

You really are getting stuck in and the results look great. Are you doing a clear coat when the paint is done?

After all the work you have done to the playfield you will have to seal it with a clearcoat.

Back
Top Bottom