What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Poibugs £30 rescue 911 cabinet

Conno

Registered
I thought I’d try and share the almost finished result of the bargain cabinet project I picked up from Poibug a few weeks ago...

it all started when he posted a for sale ad for a Gottlieb rescue 911 cab. Reading the advert I’m assuming someone had messed him around or something over this caninet, hence it was for sale. Whoever did this honestly thanks a lot!
I just happened to look that night having drawn up a load of mdf plans for a virtual machine cabinet (I know I know it’s not the same but I can’t afford half of today’s machine prices).
Anyhow I got the cab home and it looked like this80846

It was far better condition than I thought it was going to be, so I started taking off some of the old bits from inside and gave the internals a freshen up and did a little repair work to the front left side. I did the internal a nice blue that I have in my man cave, it’s pool table cloth blue :)8084780847

Attachments

• A6BF89FC-389F-4589-BD71-133BCC53B865.jpeg
    A6BF89FC-389F-4589-BD71-133BCC53B865.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 10
The Backbox was really tall compared to a Williams and this proved to be perfect for my needs, it wasn’t at all wide enough so I took it to bits and rebuilt it keeping just the original sides. Don’t ask why it would have probably been easier to just remake the lot but I guess I’ve kept the original wood for nostalgia or something :) 8084980850

For the sound system I went with a Bose 2.1 setup which sounds incredible for the size of the speakers. I had a Dell U3014t 30” monitor for the back glass and a 17” doe the DMD which I wanted to do a little different and incorporate video to this as well, which I think looks cool anyway the Backbox started to come together (I don’t have all the fancy tools so this was chopsaw and hacksaw stuff ?808518085280853

I started looking for cabinet art and was toying with a guns and roses theme. I don’t mind having a dabble on the computers and started having a play on photoshop, then I scrapped the guns and roses idea as I couldn’t find any decent images on google, I did find some nice Tron ones though :)
I moved the cab down to my games room as I was sick of freezing in the garage and I gave it a few coats of paint, I also chopped a square hole for the Bose sub.
I left the metal bar in the cab on the right as this is perfect for holding up the monitor like a car bonnet rod type setup.8085480855

I had a few cheap china arcade buttons so I set about fitting them​
I filled up where the original plunger was as it was in the wrong place and would clash with the 40” screen. I will re add this later when I get round to it.​
Test fit of the 40” 4K LG screen stolen from my conservatory ?8085680857

Sourced some new black stern legs (only 1/2” shorter than what I needed) from pinball mania, they look sweet.

Having spent about a week trying to get a lockdown bar which was the only thing missing from the cab I settled with a Williams one which after a little tinkering fits like a charm :)
Started wiring up some of the controls at this stage as well808588085980860

Having purchased a Williams launch ball button it made me realise that the China buttons were garbage so I ordered some more proper buttons. Initial testing and playing began
At this stage I thought it looked well next to a real machine 8086180862

I then started really going for it with the photoshop stuff using YouTube to learn how to use photoshop. Came up with these after about a week on it808638086480865

I emailed a local to me printer and he quoted me £45 to print the lot. I assumed it wouldn’t be very good but for £45 vs £200 - £300 I gave it a shot.
Here’s the result

I’m waiting for my RGB LEDs to arrive and I’ve got a few more bits and bobs to do but I’m super chuffed with the result so far from what was a bargain of a deal of a cabinet and I get to play twilight zone again albeit virtually?808718087280873

Hey @AlanJ - if @Conno will share the .psd file I have a good friend that may be able to sort the photoshop side of things...

It would cut down the measuring of the cabinet etc @AlanJ - meaning he’d only need to make the design as opposed to starting from scratch.

I emailed a local to me printer and he quoted me £45 to print the lot. I assumed it wouldn’t be very good but for £45 vs £200 - £300 I gave it a shot.
Here’s the result

What did you have to ask for at the printers? Is done on a certain type of vinyl or something?

I'm going to make some decals for a cab. Can do the photoshop bit but don't know what to get them printed onto.

What did you have to ask for at the printers? Is done on a certain type of vinyl or something?

I'm going to make some decals for a cab. Can do the photoshop bit but don't know what to get them printed onto.
Just told them what it was for and how I was going to install it (as in wet method) and he did it. You can wipe it over with a wet cloth etc no issues.

Hey @AlanJ - if @Conno will share the .psd file I have a good friend that may be able to sort the photoshop side of things...
Bearing in mind mine is a Gottlieb cabinet so may be slightly different sized. However in photoshop you can literally set the canvas size to the exact size you require in mm etc so really if your cab side is 1200mm x 440mm set that as the canvas (or add 10mm for a border to work with and you cant lose. I would happily email the basic photoshop file to anyone if they need it 👍

Back
Top Bottom