What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playfield repair. (Hurricane)

Also is someone mooning from the tower?!

View attachment 85782
Nope, Cooldan 's avatar flashing her cleavage again!

The damage is a weird one. Possible it was a "Friday afternoon" playfield with flaws that were missed at the time of manufacture that have taken time / heat / moisture to appear years later? I love my Cyclone, Comet I don't fancy too much but I like some of Hurricane features like the multiball and DMD that Cyclone is missing.

Nope, Cooldan 's avatar flashing her cleavage again!

The damage is a weird one. Possible it was a "Friday afternoon" playfield with flaws that were missed at the time of manufacture that have taken time / heat / moisture to appear years later? I love my Cyclone, Comet I don't fancy too much but I like some of Hurricane features like the multiball and DMD that Cyclone is missing.

I love the whole roller coaster / classic American theme park vibe to them. If space and money no object I'd have all 3 lined up :)

They're probably mooning at the artist whose easel can just be seen in the larger pictures. Set up in an amusement park, but he's painting a nude.

Im with @DRD on this, unless you have the time and inclination this looks like it could be a headache and time pit. The best and cheapest option to get the game functioning without risk of more damage is probably a playfield protector for £100.

If I was going to fix this up my first concern would be the line that seemingly runs all the way across the playfield as indicated by the green bar below. If you look at the side edge of the playfield is there a join in the top ply layer here ?

View attachment 85780

Secondly, I would not be happy leaving any of the main white cream area on the playfield as that looks like it has solvent damage and you never know how that is going to react with anything you put on top of it. to this end I would remove and repaint the areas I have marked as white below and then do colour touchups on the surrounding planking followed by replacing the keylines. If you are going this far you may as well do the whole playfield and then it will need a coat of something to protect all the work. Its a lot of time and effort but if thats your thing, go for it.

View attachment 85781
Moonbus! Great call, I hadn't spotted - but top layer of ply has a join that explains the fault. Bravo. Thanks for prompting a closer look. Some fluid must have precipitated the damage, but that explains why it stretches across so far. Nice one!

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Moonbus! Great call, I hadn't spotted - but top layer of ply has a join that explains the fault. Bravo. Thanks for prompting a closer look. Some fluid must have precipitated the damage, but that explains why it stretches across so far. Nice one!

Interesting. So it was poor manufacturing that took years to show. Still got the receipt? Get Williams on the phone....

So, thanks for all input. Will shave, paint and mylar - after chatting with Chris and mulling it over..

Last Q.. Where would I get mylar from?

Not something I've done on any machine yet. (I haven't felt confident enough to remove the poorly applied layer on the SBM yet, (which seems to have been applied as they were grooming the family pet).. watched all the videos and building my skill levels 1st)

Will probably wait until I have more time to do another stripdown, but be good to start getting materials together.

Cheers all.

Mylar was always hard to get and very expensive,even for small tiny squares...if you go to eBay,type in Addams family Mylar you can buy pre cut shaped a4 sheets ready cut .....not exactly what you want but I bought one and simply cut the biggest areas to my own shape,you get quite a fair bit for your money and even the off cuts are handy

I have to disagree with a few people on here. Yes it isn't a popular table, but just think of it as a learning opportunity. It won't cost to much in materials and it could be time well spent if it turns out nice. That way you can buy another project that maybe worth while to keep a hold off. You will always get cash back for the table if you only paid 600 for it.

I personally would go for a vinyl sticker over paint matching. You can take a scan of it and touch it up in photoshop. Just sand the damage down, stick the vinyl over the top (lining up the image of course) and stick a hit of mylar over the top to protect it. It will never be as good as a paint and clear coat. But definitely a quicker option.

I have to disagree with a few people on here. Yes it isn't a popular table, but just think of it as a learning opportunity. It won't cost to much in materials and it could be time well spent if it turns out nice. That way you can buy another project that maybe worth while to keep a hold off. You will always get cash back for the table if you only paid 600 for it.

I personally would go for a vinyl sticker over paint matching. You can take a scan of it and touch it up in photoshop. Just sand the damage down, stick the vinyl over the top (lining up the image of course) and stick a hit of mylar over the top to protect it. It will never be as good as a paint and clear coat. But definitely a quicker option.

I agree these days all pins are worth the effort to keep as nice as possible

I have a scrap Hurricane playfield with no damage in that area so could take a hi res pic if it would help? Also I have a good selection of vinyl could check if I have anything close in colour

Cheers guys, this seems like a great way forward.
Presume a touched up image can be taken to a print shop to make patch, is that what is suggested? Mylar over to protect I get.

It does seem that this would be swiftest way (and pretty cheap compared with other directions) to get back to a better playing machine.

Have good camera / Photoshop, so see no problems there - and using keylines to follow, should make pretty invisible when located.. The sail repair mylar mentioned above seems like a good way to protect at an affordable price.

From scratching my head a few days ago I feel I have some excellent options to move forward with.

Thanks to all thread contributors - I salute you!

I do it was going to go on my pinshed wall in the next week or so, but I'm happy to help this man out if he still needs it, to be honest, its a bit good for a wall condition wise so hit me up if u need it
Well, that's lucky timing.. If it's in fair to good condition then it's got to be better than the slightly lumpy one here!
If possible, it would be good to get a few pics - and be happy to swap them over.
With a better play field this isn't a bad example - so many thanks to you both for this possibility!
Just ordered some mylar, but that will keep.. And I haven't started scraping yet!
Many thanks!

Many thanks to @johnwhitfield for the two sheets of glass and the lovely manners at being inundated on a Sunday by me and my prodigy (progeny?), and for not being upset when we took the opportunity to play all our favourite games and drink all the tea. Legend!
Well, that's lucky timing.. If it's in fair to good condition then it's got to be better than the slightly lumpy one here!
If possible, it would be good to get a few pics - and be happy to swap them over.
With a better play field this isn't a bad example - so many thanks to you both for this possibility!
Just ordered some mylar, but that will keep.. And I haven't started scraping yet!
Many thanks!

Attachments

• 15591481138808269254048497793138.jpg
    15591481138808269254048497793138.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 15591481286872264972990405111360.jpg
    15591481286872264972990405111360.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 15591481400521159165396166063650.jpg
    15591481400521159165396166063650.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 15591481516877869133744021255707.jpg
    15591481516877869133744021255707.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 15591481655376607191850665817905.jpg
    15591481655376607191850665817905.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 15591481781237911845286651336433.jpg
    15591481781237911845286651336433.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 20
Thanks @Tony and especially @Atlantis.
Looks excellent. . definitely worth installing into a machine rather than on a wall.
(But then what else am I going to say!)

If you're happy to do me a great favour, I'd love to get the Hurricane back to full working order!

Best outcome I could have hoped for. I learned several ways of mending the play field and hopefully don't have to!

Will pm you, hopefully to sort out the details.
Thanks again to all. :)

Thanks @Tony and especially @Atlantis.
Looks excellent. . definitely worth installing into a machine rather than on a wall.
(But then what else am I going to say!)

If you're happy to do me a great favour, I'd love to get the Hurricane back to full working order!

Best outcome I could have hoped for. I learned several ways of mending the play field and hopefully don't have to!

Will pm you, hopefully to sort out the details.
Thanks again to all. :)

Il get it to you asap when @BigIan gets here for cheaper shipping to you and if your offering anything extra put it as a donation to whatever @Poibug or NLP wants as he did a repair on my TZ at pinfest last year and I never bought him a beer.

Regards A

Il get it to you asap when @BigIan gets here for cheaper shipping to you and if your offering anything extra put it as a donation to whatever @Poibug or NLP wants as he did a repair on my TZ at pinfest last year and I never bought him a beer.

Regards A
'Lost for words'

:)

Thanks to all concerned..

Donation suggestions...? @Poibug @NLP

Wow.

Ooh beer 🤘

Seriously 're me repairing stuff at shows, it's what I try and, as do many others. I offer cos it's needed, just like manning doors, supplying pins etc.
If someone wants to buy any helpers beer, cool.

If they wanna donate to this site cool.

At the end of it all, we are all one big fooked up dysfunctional family, and we all need each other one way or the other, we bitch, fight, argue, cuddle , etc,etc

Ooh beer 🤘

Seriously 're me repairing stuff at shows, it's what I try and, as do many others. I offer cos it's needed, just like manning doors, supplying pins etc.
If someone wants to buy any helpers beer, cool.

If they wanna donate to this site cool.

At the end of it all, we are all one big fooked up dysfunctional family, and we all need each other one way or the other, we bitch, fight, argue, cuddle , etc,etc

+1 - I couldn't have gotten this far without everyone's help on here! You guys :clap:

Regards A
So biggest thanks to @Atlantis for the play field. Duly arrived, swapped and my old play field about to ping back across to Ireland.

Thanks to all posters for the help and suggestions - the Hurricane is back to 100% playability and all is well. :)

Bill Froog.

Back
Top Bottom