What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playfield Innovation?

He said not a mark on the acrylic test sheet but I could see a line where the ball was rolling up and down.
Pretty sure someone said the upper playfield on bksor was going cloudy and I think that’s the same material.

A solid metal ball hitting wood is going to cause indentations, I'd have thought. I can't see how it wouldn't?

Granted Stern's more recent playfields don't appear to be particularly hardened against it, but it's a phenomenon you should expect I think - particularly if you have a game that is notorious for airballs, or has multiple VUKs, etc.

I sighed a bit when I read @BigBear77 's thread about someone trying to knock him down on price because of dimpling that is in all probability normal - at least with newer pins. I would go as far as to say that if newer Sterns, JJPs etc dimple through normal use - then it's a normal feature and not remarkable.

I think it looks like a cool idea. Overall the same thickness as a normal playfield but a composite layering with the artwork in between.

I wouldn’t fancy hitting any playfield with a sledge hammer so they’ve definitely made progress over traditional plain plywood.

not really innovative tough. Mafia did it, I published an article in #1 of pinball player around 20 years ago, hell Bally did it with Medusa in the '80s.

Acrylic has been used before years ago from what I have read but there was an issue with screwing and retaining Pinball parts into the playfield unlike wood. This however seems to be a combination of both so maybe that solves the issue.?

not really innovative tough. Mafia did it, I published an article in #1 of pinball player around 20 years ago, hell Bally did it with Medusa in the '80s.

Yeah I think speakeasy used a plastic or resin based playfield and Elektra has a Perspex cover on the main playfield but that was more clunky than this idea

A lot of Spanish games from the late 70's and into the 80's had plastic playfields , my Star Wars for one [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I like the idea. The little rig he used to roll the ball back and forth is not really a fair test though, the ball needs to be shot across it by a coil ( flipper, sling, pop etc). Just rolling it back and forth the ball isn't really skidding across the surface as it would be when shot at speed across it. I still like it though.

Regarding dimpling though, I don't accept that it's normal and has always happened. It's becoming the norm and accepted but it shouldn't be. My Dialed in must have over 1k plays and has no dimples. Something changed to their clearcoat between dialed in and POTC.

Last edited:
Hi guys - haven't been on here in a while - hope to make up for that :)
Here's the original video on the Sledgehammer test, plus a follow up video we did a couple of weeks later

Back
Top Bottom