What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playfield ceiling project Mk II

😲😲😲😲A building full of crazy European games. That's my idea of heaven!
Can I live there? I'll maintain them for you 🤣
If it was up to me, you're 100% more than welcome!! Unfortunately, however, I am not in charge of visitor acceptance, that job the sole responsibility of 'her who must be obeyed', and I know without even asking that the answer will be no... 😫

The main issue I have at the moment is how to get a uniform light distribution so that all playfields are lit to the same degree... the further the distance between the light and the playfield the better the distribution of course. My ceiling is sloping, and at the low end the gap is less because I didn't have so much head room there... so playfields at that end are harder to get good uniform distribution... I think ideally you could do with at least 30cm... my suggestion is to buy LED strip lighting and cut the strip up into small lengths, ideally put one length behind each playfield... there are probably better ideas to get good uniform lighting though... one thing I'm planning to try is to use a 30w LED spot light positioned in the corner (where my gap is biggest) and point it onto the reflective foil I have on the ceiling... More later, have to go out now...
I've had some good success 3D printing diffusers with clear PLA for some light boxes I've been making, it means that the individual LEDs on a strip don't show through at all. This would have the benefit of only needing a diffuser over the inserts you want light to shine through and you could go for a more blanket style kind of lighting rather than having to match light strength to each hole.

I don't have one to hand to show, but you might get the idea with the pics of a lid I printed for a model dummy.

20240502_151905.jpg20240502_151848.jpg

edit, found one - this has 48 individual LEDs in it and is less than 15mm away from the front lithophane. The diffuser does a great job.

Lightbox.jpgJoker.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom