What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pirates of the Caribbean Ship Sails problem

JMP

Site Supporter
Got a POTC here with very odd issue with the ships sails..... ship sinks fine in test mode with sails down as it should, but in normal play they fail to go down on the final hit before it sinks, catching the plastic ball guard sheet adjacent....!?

It 'appears' mini coil #28 'lower sails latch' fails to operate at this point in the game to allow the sails to fall before the ship sinks but this operates in coil #28 test mode (can hear the click) and again, the ship sinks fine in test mode with the sails down.

Can anyone help, explain or diagnose please? It's doing my head in..... cheers.

It's probably caused by a worn part ( don't ask me which one!)... I'm guessing that the timing is different between it being activated in test and it being activated during play. That difference tied in with the worn part is enough to prevent the sails from going down...

I have had this issue before on a couple of my POTC's. If it's the same, you can manually drop the sails and all is fine, but during game play the sails don't drop? On one of my games they would drop occasionally but not always. Check that the solenoid which opens the latch is operating correctly (might need a strip &new sleve) also, check to see if the springs are pulling sufficiently to pull the sails over. One of mine had to be 'manipulated' to be straight agian as the mechanism had bent slightly (presumably from the sails not dropping and colliding)

Good luck!

Cheers both... looks like stripping top playfield again to get at it, just been rebuilt too ffs. Had wondered about that spring and/or coil sleeve but did 'seem' to be working in test so discounted it…. timing differences makes sense though.

Well took this apart today, cleaned every part with IPA, re-assembled with new coil sleeve (that operates the sails) but the mini coil to operate the latch has its sleeve fixed within the coil, so simply cleaned through it, plus the plunger. All worked fine triggering it manually, also in test..... but again, intermittent again :mad: in game play with the sails not always dropping before the ship sinks. Did your suggestions @Matt Vince , springs looked fine too and both seemed to be doing their job OK.

Completely stumped now....... board fault? Or maybe some weird voltage issue where it works fine in test but not game play?

Open to suggestions.... :hmm: cheers.

Just realised this is in the wrong forum category if mods could please move over to Tech Help, ta.

Back
Top Bottom