What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pins that are Fast, have that Retro Feel and have great audio. What would you recommend.

RetroHeed

Registered
Alias
Scott
Howdy folks,

For months and months I have been researching Pins with the view (probably in the next couple of years) to eventually have 5 Pins that very much appeal to me. Fast gameplay, retro sounds and effects and good audio are important to me. I am a fan of the older Videogame console and arcade shooters or shumps they now call them now, but for me the its very much the 16-bit era that is the best (Japanese titles especially). I currently have an 80s Pin (Time Machine) and plan to follow that up next with a 90s machine, and then move on to the more modern 2000s machines. Below is pretty much my wish list that I have made so far, but.. if you think I may have missed a Pin that you think I should look into based on the above please let me know. Ideally the more original games appeal to me more, rather than the movie themed games.

My current wish list is the following,

Time Machine (own)
Revenge From Mars
Ghost Busters (Pro)
Total Nuclear Annihilation
Black Knight Swords Of Rage (Pro)

As far as more recent releases go, Godzilla is very much perfect and I haven't even played that yet, but thats at the bottom of the most wanted for now, may get one in years to come.

It would be nice to know what other games I should read up on, or games I should check out based on the above, thanks.

Scott

I read "

Fast, have that Retro Feel and have great audio" and thought 'Total Nuclear Annihilation', and then realised it was on your list already.

So... that.
Great first thought, I am also watching out for TNA 2.0. For me its the perfect game, and yet again I haven't even played TNA lol

Good gameplay? If so GB is out RFM is out.

I’d be looking at some older games. Flash Gordon, meteor, pinbot or jackbot, deadpool, imdn whirlwind
Iron man the shadow loads and loads

I’d be looking at some older games. Flash Gordon, meteor, pinbot or jackbot, deadpool, imdn whirlwind
RFM with myPinballs new code is pretty good, I would say it is no Flash Gordon. Played that at Swavesey and fell in love, what a brutal, but fun game that is.

Have a look through the 80s Bally, Williams and Gottlieb back catalogue, many are really fun but not universally loved.

You like fast, then anything by Steve Richie? F14 has been mentioned, as has No Fear, but there are others, High Speed is also great fun.

Your headline description is exactly that of TNA. It sounds like a new run of games will be made, get your name down with Phil @ Pinball Heaven. Although you said you preferred original themes, check out Dead Pool as that has great retro sounds and fast game play.

Thanks for the feedback Neil. RFM I have played and really enjoyed it, and so did my Son who keeps telling me to get one haha. GB I have not played this yet, but this is another game my Son seems to really want at some point, he plays it on his phone which is obviously not ideal or anywhere near the real thing but it may give him an idea on the rules etc

I'll look at the others you have mentioned also. We have played Deadpool and I really liked it, but it was in a sports arcade type bar in Edinburgh and it was hard to get a feel for it, couldn't even hear the audio. As you say loads to look into :)

No fear? Fast and great sound, and not too pricey which is a bonus
I actually had looked and some videos on this machine not so long ago, when I seen one up for sale. It does look really really good actually, as you say a not too pricey machine is for sure a bonus. A game to keep in mind and add to the list ;)

Your headline description is exactly that of TNA. It sounds like a new run of games will be made, get your name down with Phil @ Pinball Heaven. Although you said you preferred original themes, check out Dead Pool as that has great retro sounds and fast game play.
Hi Matt, thanks for the reply. I may just have to get my name down for the TNA new run, the game looks and sounds incredible to me. Yes Deadpool was also initially on my mind also, I have played one in an arcade pub type place but couldn't get a proper feel for it at that time. The retro sounds and the pixelated graphics for the display are very nice and that appeals to me. My Son has played the same Deadpool at that arcade bar type place, I was surprised he wasn't raving about Deadpool tbh, yet he keeps mentioning Ghostbusters. Think I'll go see if I can get him a paper round job to bring some pennies in, actually... there is probably no paper round jobs these days 😂

There was a radical for sale on here. Fits perfectly.
I did see that listing. Actually I should read and look more into that Pin. I was a skater when I was younger and in my early teens, I still show the kids Dad can do an Ollie no problem, more stationery now though and in the grass as I need to be able to work 😂

I wouldn’t recommend TNA to kids. Too difficult and not enough going on. So many better pins for them to play.
How old is your son? I have a five year old and he doesn’t really gel with TNA. It doesn’t have enough theme and is very hard.

My son just turned 6. I know the games he likes. But he does surprise me from time to time ;-)

He gets frustrated with some of the harder games but if it has a strong theme. He will come back for more!

Last edited:
Younger kids tend to like:

AFM
WCS
MM

Really obvious achievable goal which can be met. However, the they also have enough different strategies to keep them interested when they know what they are doing.

As people said earlier TNA also hits your requirements and so possibly would The Beatles.

When friends/family bring kids round (usually 6 - 12 years old) they always want to play WCS. I've had 8 90s pins over the past couple of years and the kids are happy to have a few games on any of them, but after half an hour, they always end up queuing for WCS.

I'm not sure about the retro criteria, but a candidate that qualifies for 90's and speed is Johnny Moronic, sorry, Mnemonic. Also present is the 90's scoring inflation; at a boozer where work sited one, the replay percentaged itself up to 3.5 Billion. As with Stern's late 70's Meteor, it shouldn't be marked down for a tie-in to an indifferent film.

No Fear comes to mind. Fast flow, great music, hit and miss theme and not a ton of money to find out if you like it. Retro credentials depends on age for a 90s game.

WCS is a great game but the theme is marmite so experience it first.

Swords of Fury ticks all the boxes for retro and arguably the best retro sound of any pinball machine. The gameplay can just leave a little to be desired and the wood chopping in the miniplayfield doesn't lend itself to 'fast', but it did the aforementioned so well I enjoyed owning it.

TNA is obvious but big $$$.

BSD has a misleadingly flowing and fast game and great sounds, not so retro.

An outside pick could be Rollergames. Very retro, retro sound and an all round fun and reasonably fast game. Some will find it obnoxious.

Last edited:
I know you want original theme and not movies but Robocop is pretty fast and sounds amazing.
Just about 90’s though, can’t think of any 90’s games with an 80’s vibe.

Very retro and fast as well as fairly cheap is JM - Johnny Mnemonic. Great game and underrated my fav classic ATM

However if you have the money you can’t go wrong with DP - Deadpool. This has it all Fast, Fun, great humour, gorgeous and the best part is the super retro feel of the video is kinda SF2 / SOR with the music of Defender /Joust + many more.

Both are keepers for me albeit there’s no such thing as a keeper 😂

I know you want original theme and not movies but Robocop is pretty fast and sounds amazing.
Just about 90’s though, can’t think of any 90’s games with an 80’s vibe.
We played Robocop at NERG, we quite enjoyed that actually, possibly one to consider later also.

Very retro and fast as well as fairly cheap is JM - Johnny Mnemonic. Great game and underrated my fav classic ATM

However if you have the money you can’t go wrong with DP - Deadpool. This has it all Fast, Fun, great humour, gorgeous and the best part is the super retro feel of the video is kinda SF2 / SOR with the music of Defender /Joust + many more.

Both are keepers for me albeit there’s no such thing as a keeper 😂
Thanks Colin I'll have a read into and watch some gameplay on Johnny Mnemonic.

I was really hoping my Son would have raved on about Deadpool after him playing It, but he keeps mentioning Ghosbusters for now. But I am with you on Deadpool actually from what I have seen it looks and sounds perfect, 16bit pixelated graphics look :thumbs:

Eric from Paisley Pinball has a GB pro for hire, not sure if that's an option for you to confirm its position on your list. I hired it over Christmas once it was good fun.

Back
Top Bottom