What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pins next to Radiators?

JustLikeMe

Site Supporter
I'm soon going to be moving into a new place and I'm trying to work out where I'm going to put pins. One of the possible locations would mean that one or two machines would be directly in front of a radiator - ie, the back legs/back of the machine would be inches away. Am I right in thinking this may not be a great idea? I could always keep the radiator switched off/down low, but I'm worried the room may get pretty cold without it!

Can you turn off the radiator without it bothering you? I did just that with the pin in my passage. Wouldnt like to have a hot radiator bubbling my artwork, or even contributing to driver board issues.

Shouldn't be a problem as machine will be far enough away as to not cause any damage. With the back legs touching the wall rear of machine should be about 200mm from wall. Heat from rad will go stright up so machine will be pretty safe, just don't have it on full belt all day and you won't have any problems.

replicas' date=' post: 1677361 said:
Shouldn't be a problem as machine will be far enough away as to not cause any damage. With the back legs touching the wall rear of machine should be about 200mm from wall. Heat from rad will go stright up so machine will be pretty safe, just don't have it on full belt all day and you won't have any problems.

Thanks for the replies - although I could always turn the radiator off, I'm not sure how warm the room would be come this winter! If I do end up sticking one close to the radiator I'll take your advice, turn it down low and hope for the best

I had four pins in a row next to a radiator for a few years.No harm done.

All I did was turn the radiator down just a bit(off in summer) and added one of those "hangar container thingies filled with water" at the back of the rad to stop it being to dry.topped water up every now and then

No probs

TYHO

Why would you want to ADD moisture to the air?

I've gone the other way and put a dehumidifier in my games room to stop damp and / or rot.

Dry solder joints end up cracking. Imagine a very dry room, and lots of cracked joints on your driver board plugs. AIIEEEE. Too much moisture and you get damp, mould, swelling of wood etc...

I have a dehumifier too in the main pin room 0 too much humidity can corode pins/boards etc etc

however when I had the SMALL moisture container on the rad it was in the house,which humidity wise is dry.As the backs of the pins were right next to the radiator I did not want it to be too dry.This container would have added a tiny amount of moisture in the air,least that was my theory.

Talking of dehumidifiers,it is amazing how much moisture builds up.

I have a fully insulated pin room with 6 pins in and another pin room with 2 pins and another dehumidfier in.

They are both doing their jobs fine and give or take keeping it around 50%,which is where I want it,but some would be amazed at the moisture that can build up

Back
Top Bottom