What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinfest juniors comp.

DanLewell

Registered
Phil has given me the green light to run a Juniors comp at pinfest.

After speaking with my kids and the Vince kids a while back, we've decided to go for a matchplay comp where they get to play against each other rather than high score comp or ticket qualifying.

It will be run on 1 day (probably Saturday unless loads of people say their kids / grandkids are only coming on the Sunday)

I'm going to run it similarly to the way that 8bit flip used to run their comp, so no segregated machines, we will just use the main hall machines, if someone is on the machine you need to play, wait for them to finish then play your game.

It will be free to enter (they will still need to pay to get into the show as normal) just sign up and be there for the start time.

I've not decided 100% on the format, but will be a few games for qualifying with the best 4 or 8 going through to final stage. I'll put the details up once confirmed.

It is obviously more about having fun and getting kids involved than anything else, but if anyone wants to sponsor the comp so we can get some half decent trophies or prizes it would be very much appreciated.

I'll make sure we have medals for all the kids who take part so no one will leave empty handed.

I'm taging some people ( @Matt Vince @Jackpot @Andypc @johnwhitfield @Hiltoncriss @Jb3d @VeeMonroe ) who I know have pinball kids or grandkids but apologies if I've missed anyone. It's open to all, and should be great fun hopefully.

Main reason for choosing Saturday is to avoid the finals of the main comps but if more people are only bringing their kids on Sunday then we'll look at changing it.

The pinball community never ceases to amaze me.

Someone (who would prefer to remain anonymous) has been in touch already and we've got prizes sorted for the comp.

1st place - £100 Amazon Voucher
2nd place - £50 Amazon Voucher
3rd place - £25 Amazon Voucher

Thank you ever so much Mr (or Mrs) A. Nonymous 😀

Dan - this is brilliant, thank you for taking this on. The kids should really enjoy this! Agree completely that matchplay is the way to go so they can actually play with each other - this will be a lot more fun. My vote would also be for Saturday - as you say no clash with finals and it should be more relaxed so people can enjoy this as a separate event.

I know my kids will be super excited and it will make them feel like a proper part of the weekend now!

Thank you so much for organising.

We haven‘t booked accommodation yet due to some other issues, but will definitely try to get Hector involved if we can :)

Vivienne

assuming no league finals clashes I'll stream it if you like Dan.

You can still make this tournament sanctioned which I think would be good for the competition, especially if its matchplay.

Neil.

Yeah, that would be great. Thanks.

I think it will run alongside the league finals being played, as the plan is to do this on Saturday too but it's only really the final of this comp we would want to stream so we can probably pause one or the other to make both streamable.

What do I need to do to make the comp sanctioned? Register it with IFPA?

Thank you for organising this and big thanks to the generous sponsor

Cheers.

I thought to register for IFPA it had to open to all, but I can select youth on the registration page so I'll do that.

Need to firm up the date before I register it though, Saturday looks best at the minute, but I'll hold off registering it until the weekend to give everyone a chance to let us know if the Sunday would be better for any reason.

Yeah, that would be great. Thanks.

I think it will run alongside the league finals being played, as the plan is to do this on Saturday too but it's only really the final of this comp we would want to stream so we can probably pause one or the other to make both streamable.

What do I need to do to make the comp sanctioned? Register it with IFPA?
yup

HI @DanLewell what a great idea to have a comp for the youngsters. What will be the age limit for the Juniors to enter, my Son will be at Pinfest for the whole weekend with me but he is 13yrs old, so maybe he is on the older side for entering the Junior comp ?

IFPA counts Juniors as U18s. So he's fine to enter. Pheebs (14) and Effie (13) are both with me all weekend and they will be entering.

I'll update with the format in a sec, but the early rounds are head to head against 1 person, so the younger kids will still have a chance of getting a win.

IFPA counts Juniors as U18s. So he's fine to enter. Pheebs (14) and Effie (13) are both with me all weekend and they will be entering.

I'll update with the format in a sec, but the early rounds are head to head against 1 person, so the younger kids will still have a chance of getting a win.
Excellent thanks for the info Dan. My Son will be well happy taking part in this 👍

Dan - thanks again for organising this! Do you think it will be possible for the competition to be registered with the IFPA? My boys are still working towards their 5 event "qualification" - and would be good to include any other new juniors if possible. If not, no worries at all - will still be a blast 😀

Yeah, it's registered with ifpa (did it yesterday)

Date is set in stone as Saturday 27th.

Start time will be 12:30.

I'm hoping I can nick a bit of space on @ailsaclunie 's table for a laptop? So we've got a base to run it from.

Format (assuming we get to 16 competitors), is going to be:
Groups of 4 for qualifying. Playing 3 x 2player games. (1 game against each other player in the group).

Top 2 from each group through to semi final.

Semi final is 1 x 4 player game. Top 2 go through to the final.

Final is 1 x 4 player game. (Hopefully streamed and commentated on!)

Registration is now open by the way.

Let me know on this thread the kids names who want to play and I'll add them to the list.

Can you also pm me their full name, and your contact number (so we can get hold of you/them on the day) and ifpa number (if they have one already, they will get assigned one if they dont)

Not capped at 16, but I'll need to tweak the format if it goes over that number to make it work still.

1. Phoebe @DanLewell
2. Effie @DanLewell
3. James @Jackpot
4. Michael @Jackpot
5. Theo @domlouis
6. Callan @RetroHeed
7. Lucy @Matt Vince
8. Katie @Matt Vince
9. Daniel @Matt Vince
10. Jacob @ tiltbrum

Last edited:
Brilliant idea. Thank you for organising it. I had a chat with my son Theo (16) and he'd like to enter please. We are there Friday, Saturday so perfect for us.

Yeah, it's registered with ifpa (did it yesterday)

Date is set in stone as Saturday 27th.

Start time will be 12:30.

I'm hoping I can nick a bit of space on @ailsaclunie 's table for a laptop? So we've got a base to run it from.

Format (assuming we get to 16 competitors), is going to be:
Groups of 4 for qualifying. Playing 3 x 2player games. (1 game against each other player in the group).

Top 2 from each group through to semi final.

Semi final is 1 x 4 player game. Top 2 go through to the final.

Final is 1 x 4 player game. (Hopefully streamed and commentated on!)
I will always have space for you Dan 😎 we are doing our NBA comp in a different room this year so we can get more banter going . However we are still Having a table in the main room for people to sign up and get some Tunnocks and Scottish tablet so plenty of room for you 😀

@DanLewell - thanks again for organising this mate, was a really great addition to the weekend and made the kids really feel part of it. Michael was absolutely delighted with his 3rd place prize and beautiful trophy (which is the first time in his life he has won something) so it is very special for him.

Thank you to the extremely generous anonymous donors as well who sponsored the trophies and prizes. It really is tremendously appreciated.

That’s great Dan it was great to see the competitiveness among the kids in the nba comp this year yuan it was so cute to see your kids roll up to the pin put his standing platform down and take up his place and mum cheering them in in fact all parents
Andy pc lad stormed out the room after being knocked out but soon came back in with a smile on his face and battle of the vinces at the end funny to see matts little lad swagger up to collect the trophy what a great comp

Thanks for putting this on Dan. It was great to see all the youngsters having a good time competing, Callan had a great time also and he is happy he came home with a medall, which we will hang up in the games room :)

Back
Top Bottom