What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PinballSP HolomodSP for CFTBL (preorder)

Which is the best hologram replacement?

• HologramSP LCD Mod

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • MikeD’s LCD Mod

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Pinball Dreams (Henrik’s) Repro Hologram

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Pinball Center Repro Hologram

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
It would be good if PinballSP actually showed this mod working in an actual machine. Something he has yet to do.

Thanks dude appreciate the heads up. I know that the pinside crew have been going apeshiit waiting for this mod to come out, am I on my own when i say I'm not really feelin it?

Creech looks more like Mick Jagger than Creech.

Thanks dude appreciate the heads up. I know that the pinside crew have been going apeshiit waiting for this mod to come out, am I on my own when i say I'm not really feelin it?

Creech looks more like Mick Jagger than Creech.

I think if your game doesn't have a hologram and you are struggling to find a replacement (likely) as even the repro's are near impossible to obtain this might be an excellent solution. Personally I prefer the charm of an actual hologram in my game and I was EXTREMELY lucky to find a NOS original which at this moment in time I'm not planning to swap it out for this...but I might change my mind when I see this in action in a working game :rolleyes::rofl:

My disaster of a Creech has everything to do with the hologram missing so will potentially be going for something like this I guess. It's still in storage at the moment though

I’m waiting to see a video of one in a machine, I’ve been following the pinside thread for the best part of two years so it shouldn’t be long before it’s premiered... hopefully.

Defo better with the std hologram as it keeps the charm and originality of the pin. But if it's shot and no hologram alternatives are available then this is a must buy..

His stuff is made pretty well, but he tends to release something - then makes it better - then brings out version 2.... then version 3....

If I was you guys - wait for a few months. Let someone on Pinside buy them and see if they work properly and do not need any PCB upgrading.

I did buy a few of his pin2dmd's but I do not think I got two of them the same!

That repro is certainly a better model than some previous attempts and well priced.

No way that's as good as Henrik's attempt dude! 😬

Certainly the price is good though.

Must be Creech's birthday this month with the amount of kit coming out.

@stumblor I think Henrik’s model angle is certainly better (and bigger?) but the model itself I prefer Pinball Center. The face is more movie accurate and detailed. For the price difference I think others will be swayed by PC’s attempt.

You're Pinball Dreaming mate. :p

Vote now for your favourite repro!

Are you working for commission? 😉🤣

Seriously though with the repros it will come down to personal preference and the price point. Original obviously wins hands down no comparison.

Are you working for commission? 😉🤣

No but Henrik if you're reading this I'm always open to offers :D

Seriously though with the repros it will come down to personal preference and the price point. Original obviously wins hands down no comparison.

I think it's great that there is now a lower price option for what has essentially been a spend of 300 quid or above - and that is IF you could find one. We'd all prefer an original of course but we can't all be as crazy lucky as you dude!

1. Henriks
2. PinballSP
3. MikeDs
4. PC

I voted for Pinball Center based on the following...

A hologram as previously mentioned I find more charming and in keeping with the originality of the game (even if repro) I would rather this than an LCD solution. Even if I agreed that Henrik’s is better I’d still rather take one of Pinball Center’s for the price point alone it is a steal. It’s a third of the price!

I didn't vote as I don't have hands on with all of the products available in the poll. I've seen the MikeD mod in action and it is definitely a nice option to have if your hologram is blown out. Unfortunately it isn't an option any longer as they are no longer being made.

PinballSP, I have doubts about. First off, the day I pay $400 Euros (nearly $700CAD) for a mod I will punch myself in the crotch repeatedly and post it for everyone here to watch on YouTube. PinballSP does great work, unfortunately it is never completed, has never been demonstrated in-game, and I'm doubtful he is going to support anything. Not to mention it is complete overkill. The videos are incredible, but having them all fire off during a game is going to be complete madness. The video's will constantly be interrupting each other, and cutting each other off. There's a reason people say 'keep it simple'. His mod is just too much. It's not my cup of tea at all. It's too bad really. I wish he had just made a basic-basic version. Turn it on and 1 video loads. Show me a reproduction of the creature hologram but captured on video. No bells, no whistles, just a one for one video replacement for the original hologram.

My hologram is half green and the other half is turning yellow/orange. I don't know if this is normal. I know my hologram isn't crazy bright though. I don't remember how vibrant the hologram use to be back in 1992 when I played in the arcade, but the arcade I played it in was fully lit and had big bay windows so I doubt I would have gotten the real effect anyway. What's this #89 Green LED everyone is talking about?

I'm not a big fan of the acrylic mod either, but it's another option.

I don't understand how we can put a rover on Mars, but can't make a decent hologram replacement.

I think it's mainly due to all the places that used to produce them now closing down. Because we're uber nerds we (briefly) looked into how it was done, and given enough effort you can make them yourself, but need a proper mirror rig and special lazer and the right developing room etc not to mention an accurate model. It's all pretty fafftastic.

What light are you using @Fifty the original globe? Changing this out for a bright led helps massively. Ie a green 89 LED flasher

If using the halogen mod (which is about a tenner so well worth it) swap out the halogen for a 50w Philips gu5.3 as the halogen uses so much power it can cause resets

Last edited:
You know what videos would be cool to have as an LCD mod. You guys ever played the Pinball FX version?

If not check it out:
Click Me

Obviously the bits where creech comes out of the screen couldn’t be done but I love the simplicity of the videos. Just having the one colour of the original hologram and having the bubbles and spotting the creature swimming every now and then really brings the lagoon to life.

If someone did something similar to this, then I’d be very interested.

Back
Top Bottom