What's new

Pinballs in Sheds and Impact on Home Insurance

DRD

Registered
All

This is mentioned on here from time to time, but with numerous new forum members joining I thought it might be worth mentioning again.

Lots of home insurance policies have reduced the amount of cover they will offer for gear stored in sheds/ detached garages/ detached outbuildings etc. The reason being that robbing sheds is much less risky than robbing houses, so insurers are clamping down on cover. You may only get a few thousand pounds to cover all your bikes/ tools/ pinballs etc etc

A few years ago I looked into all this and struggled to get adequate cover other than a couple of places. Yes, the top end super duper policies like Chubb and Hiscox cover all this but at a very big price. National Farmer's Union also "got it" so were sensible as they also use traditional underwriting.

Luckily we have insurance broker @ianw on here who owns and understands pinball machines. He also has an old fashioned (true underwriting) approach to risk rather than a call centre/ computer one. The reality is that pinball machines are very low risk from an insurance perspective as they are extremely heavy (and very unlikely to be stolen) and are stood on legs (very unlikely to suffer flood damage). Hence the risk of a £1000 bike in a shed leading to an insurance claim is obviously not the same as a £1000 pinball but your basic insurers do treat them as the same

With Ian, you get sensibly priced cover AND he also covers a game when it is taken to a show.

Well worth trying him at renewal time.

I am not on commission and @ianw has not endorsed this message !

d

And I use him too, I can’t see that changing because I appreciate the service. We have some modern paintings too, all named in the policy.
Last year we had a theft of some building equipment from the garden and sadly had to make a claim. So now I can endorse that side of things too. It was an efficient, effective and sympathetic experience.

Thanks for above, I cant take the credit, the service is provided by Paul, who works in the same office usually. He's the broker and we are the Underwriters.

David I will pass on your message to him.

Thanks for above, I cant take the credit, the service is provided by Paul, who works in the same office usually. He's the broker and we are the Underwriters.

David I will pass on your message to him.
Could you pass on his contact details again please Ian - Now ive moved i need to get mine re-insured :) :thumbs:
cheers

Back
Top Bottom