What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pinballinfo.com unavailable?

Nedreud

Registered
FAO @Paul: strange thing, and I completely accept that this could be completely specific to me and my internet connection, but at the present I am only able to access pinballinfo.com whilst I can connected to my work VPN, which is proxied via the US. If I'm not on the VPN the page never loads and eventually I get a timeout message in Chrome saying the site is unavailable. Just wondering if it's a UK/Europe DNS thing?

Thanks, Peter

was this something that only just happened??? I only ask since @cooldan just messaged me saying that he cannot access the site ( I seem to be able to fine)....

Ive got the same problem with cetain websites, pinball info, eBayy etc. Noticed avg had just updated last night so reckon its to do with that poasibly as Ok on phone but not pc

ISP Issue affecting some servers
Logged: Tuesday 12th August, 2014 @ 09:07 | Last Updated: Tuesday 12th August, 2014 @ 10:44

Summary: Summary: We are investigating a networking issue affecting some ISPs being able to reach our servers. Updates will be posted here as and when we have more news on the situation.

Updated: Tuesday 12th August, 2014 @ 09:28

Our investigating into this issue is ongoing, we apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Updated: Tuesday 12th August, 2014 @ 09:56

Our network team have discovered the issue and are working to resolve it now, once again we are sorry for the inconvenience caused by this issue.

Updated: Tuesday 12th August, 2014 @ 10:08

We are investigating an issue between some ISPs and our network. Depending on where you are connecting from, you may see services as down. We are working on rerouting traffic to solve this issue.

Updated: Tuesday 12th August, 2014 @ 10:44

Our network team are still trying to solve this issue. We're sorry for the disruption caused by this issue.

I still have an entry in my Windows HOSTS file from the last time there were some issues:

195.62.28.254 pinballinfo.com www.pinballinfo.com

I
I'll try rebooting my BT OpenReach modem and BT HomeHub as it could just be a local problem for me. So odd I can access it from the US but not the UK!

ISP Issue affecting some servers
Logged: Tuesday 12th August, 2014 @ 09:07 | Last Updated: Tuesday 12th August, 2014 @ 10:44

Summary: Summary: We are investigating a networking issue affecting some ISPs being able to reach our servers. Updates will be posted here as and when we have more news on the situation.

Updated: Tuesday 12th August, 2014 @ 09:28

Our investigating into this issue is ongoing, we apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Updated: Tuesday 12th August, 2014 @ 09:56

Our network team have discovered the issue and are working to resolve it now, once again we are sorry for the inconvenience caused by this issue.

Updated: Tuesday 12th August, 2014 @ 10:08

We are investigating an issue between some ISPs and our network. Depending on where you are connecting from, you may see services as down. We are working on rerouting traffic to solve this issue.

Updated: Tuesday 12th August, 2014 @ 10:44

Our network team are still trying to solve this issue. We're sorry for the disruption caused by this issue.
Ha! That explains why I could access via work VPN but not on home internet. Nice one. Looks as though it's ben resolved (at least for my ISP) as I'm posting this whilst not connected to my VPN :)

I have had issues with Stern's site for days, just as well, I can't afford a NIB machine anyway. :rolleyes:

And people wonder why i LOVE our host....

Hi Paul
My name is Adam Smith. If you've not read one of my emails before, I'm the technical director at Vidahost and the person responsible if things go wrong.

At Vidahost we are aware that our success over the past 11 years is due almost entirely to customer referral and word of mouth, and we know that our high service level is the primary reason for this. Therefore, when we fail to meet those service levels, I feel it is important to tell you why.

Today (Tuesday 12th August) we experienced a network routing issue between approximately 9AM and 11:30AM. This meant that some visitors in the UK and elsewhere in the world were unable to reach our network, including customer websites, our own website, email services and other services provided by Vidahost. It’s important to point out that this issue was sporadic and only affected a small number of people. For the majority of the world, services were accessible throughout.

Below is the graph of one of our many connections to the public internet to demonstrate. You will see a small drop in traffic whilst the issue was occurring and 2 additional ‘blips’ which are due to the router reloads (more details below) but otherwise traffic levels were only slightly affected. The arc you see is unrelated and is part of our daily traffic flow, which naturally drops overnight.

i1.cmail1.com_ei_r_A7_061_C3F_csimport_uploadmetonewsletter.173441.png
Please rest assured that we dealt with this with the utmost urgency and let me re-iterate that maintaining our reputation for uptime and reliability is of the highest concern to us. We understand that, for many of you, your online business is your livelihood.

For those who are interested, the technical explanation...

The global routing table is a ‘map’ of each possible destination on the internet. Every large network operator (such as ourselves, or the ISP you use to connect to the internet) holds a copy of this, or multiple copies in our case. This is what enables every computer on the internet to reach every other computer.

Over the past two decades the routing table has been increasing in size, due to new ipv4 addresses being used and existing ipv4 address ranges being split (meaning that 2 consecutive ranges might have different paths). Today it hit 512,000 routes. This is a magic number as it’s an inbuilt limit in many common routers and switches.

We had pre-empted this. Most of our routers/switches already have a higher limit and we have recently spent £250,000 on network upgrades to improve the rest of our network. These had not yet been installed as we believed we had room to spare. However, last night there was a sudden increase in the number of routes being announced to the world and at 9AM we hit the limit.

Due to human factors it took us approximately half an hour to find the cause of the issue. At that point we applied a fix on the only router we believed was affected. This took effect after a reboot (which caused approximately 60 seconds of packet loss as indicated on the graph) and the majority of people who could not access our network were then able to. However some users were still reporting problems so we continued to investigate. We believed the issue may lie elsewhere as customers were also reporting issues reaching websites such as eBay and Skype but, despite the lack of any log entries to indicate, it turns out another of our Cisco routers had also hit its routing limit. The same configuration change was applied to that router and, at that point, the remaining people still having problems accessing their site were now able to again.

It seems many other high profile ISPs also suffered the same issue today and most have now fixed their own networks.

Over the next 2 weeks we will be replacing all the affected routers with brand new Juniper devices which can hold enough routes to cover us for the next decade.

Nice of them to give an explanation so freely - that's usually the part where they go into hiding and don't want to talk. ;-)

I didn't see any issue but like Nedreud I was connected from Denmark via a VPN.

That is absolute quality @Paul. Definitely the sign of a good provider. The reason lesser ISPs wouldn't provide a similar explanation @Wiredworm is they wouldn't have understood the problem that quickly. Networking is a whole lot harder than it seems and being good at it is so underrated.

Good read for those interested: http://www.zdnet.com/internet-hiccups-today-youre-not-alone-heres-why-7000032566/

Some routing tables hit 512K routes today. Some old hardware and software can't handle that and either crash or ignore newly learned routes. So this may cause some disturbances in the Force.

site took ages to load for me before,seems to be related to loading stuff related to google?

Back
Top Bottom