What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball undercroft - retaining wall dilemma

thewool

Registered
Hello all,

we bought a new house a few months back, it's a three storey house where the garden is on the first floor at the back. There is a long space at the back of the house, behind the double garage, which would be perfect for a pinball room. Half of this long space (about 6 metres x 2.1 metres) is already exposed and usable. The other half was blocked up.

I've knocked a hole through the trench block wall (supporting the concrete beams above) and the space is open but filled about halfway up with dolomite sloping towards the rear retaining wall. I suspected this might be to push back against the retaining wall which is underground so got a structural surveyor involved.

The first chap was helpful, asked me to dig down through the dolomite to see what was underneath, really to check for a stepped footing. There wasn't one, but I did find the toe of the wall. In the end he said he could not definitely give me an answer but if it were him he would have a go, proceeding with caution. He was not convinced the dolomite was really doing anything.

I got another surveyor out who said that I would need to undertake massive investigation work to be able to do anything, basically a non-starter. He was more of a commercial/industrial surveyor.

I'm now thinking a compromise might be the answer, so to remove half the dolomite, build a solid wall and gain about 3m x 1.7m. Obviously the retaining wall would still need some attention. What I now need is more of a common sense approach based on the existing support, does anyone on here have knowledge of retaining walls and what would/would not be acceptable? I can share some pics/drawings if that would help.

Cheers, Kris

You're having a tin bath aren't you!! :)

It was hard enough to find a pinball friendly house as it was, I'm just getting greedy... My gut feeling is it's ok but the second surveyor has spooked me a little.

Back
Top Bottom