What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball Trolley Nirvana - one trolley to do everything ?

johnthehappyguy

Registered
Hi,

I have spent many hours researching the different types of trolley that are available. I have not come across any 1 trolley that matches my requirements:-

I have done a lot of research, and I have decided I know what i want, I think i will get some items adapted by a blacksmith, to do everything pin related in one trolley:- I used to be a designer, and I think they could be made on a commercial basis for around £300 and be every bit as good or better than all the others i have seen on my investigations.

ie, I have come up with a design to Do everything pinrelated on one trolley - no strain on the person, instead using the trolley to do the work -

1. Assuming pin is in upright/transport position to begin with-

2. Manouver/manhandle pin onto a thing like a sack barrow,

3. Wheel pin around like a sack barrow, for manouvering up ramps, over kerbs etc.

4. Put it down into playing position ( no legs on yet), - it is now like a four wheel trolley, push it around on smooth floor

5. Using a hydraulic foot pump, raise the table into the air to put the legs on.

6. Put the legs on

7. Wheel the trolley into the pins final position in your gamesroom

8. Release hydraulic valve and lower trolley

9. wheel trolley out from underneath pin - job done.

Taking the legs off and putting the pin on its end again, would also require very little effort, and would involve doing the above steps in approximately reverse order.

There are a few other features I would incorporate as well, but one trolley to do everything is my prime objective.

If you transport your pins in a car, "flat" like in the boot of an estate car - then the trolley will lift them up like a tailgate lift does. Then you can slide the pin into the back of the car.

Other benefits would be - relatively lightweight, and relatively compact.

As well as the above,

I am including/aiming for

a) all terrain

cool-1.png
(possibly stairclimber option - three triangular wheels)

c) the adaptations for pin use should not interfere for using the trolley as a general purpose sack truck or flat bed trolley

d) Easy removal/reattachment of the hydraulic lift so that the trolley can be made lighter for general purpose use.

e) Include lifting bars so if two people desire to lift a washing machine for example up a flight of stairs, they can use the trolley like a stretcher. ( i would not want to do such a thing, but i have seen it done)

f) Incorporate the option of a playfield rotisserie, for servicing playfields.

If everything goes to plan , I will have the prototype ready for the Northern Lights.

In case I have overlooked something - what else would you like to see in your perfect pinball trolley ?

Please don't hold back with your views , as I want to do a good job of this and incorporate everyone's wish lists.

thanks very much, John

Sounds really good!

Not sure if you've covered it or not but: the ability for long term storage under a pin without fouling anything or blocking the speaker. I've seen some that look great but when under the pin, it couldn't be played because of a huge handle at the front and I don't have room for storing something like this separately.

Not sure if I would buy or not by the way. Immediate reaction is it sounds great and I would, in reality I probably don't move pins enough to bother with anything more than the £20 sack truck that I've had for over 10 years, a stool for putting the legs on and muscle. Tempting though
smile-1.png

so, did you ever make one of these? Sounds really neat and I could do with something like this....

xyz_dave' date=' post: 1696576 said:
so, did you ever make one of these? Sounds really neat and I could do with something like this....

Hi,

I got a couple of very useful but critical posts - i thought they were on here but they are maybe on the yahoo group.

So I decided not to go ahead.

The main thing that stopped me was the potential size and weight - as I wanted something that would go in the estate car alongside a pin.

As i already had an aluminum ( light ) scissor table and a suitable sack trolly, I concluded I did not really need it, and had plenty of other projects on the go.

If I were starting out agin, I would advise a cheap strong sack trolley for the house. possibly a lightweight folding sack trolley for the car and an aluminium scissor table if you can get one on ebay - they are £650 new, but i have seen a couple go for £110 on ebay, which is where i got mine.

Best regards,

john

Hi John,

I'd wondered about the scissor table approach, and looked at several around the 450 x 700 table size.

Only bit that puzzled me was the handle arrangement - on all the one's I've seen, the handle would have to push up against the front of the machine, so the trolly isn't under the middle to back of the machine and thus may be "unstable" when the pin is raised. What's been your experience so far? Or did you manage to modify the handle so it slides further under the pinball?

I had wondered about one of the motorcycle lifting trolleys then adding some sort of frame on top to get the height, but the scissor table sounds like a better idea
smile-1.png

BTW your original idea with stair climbing built in would have been ace for me - I've got to get my pins up 6 steps into the house!

Cheers,

Dave

hi dave,

my scissor table is used only on the level and indoors

Yes, the handle has to be pushed up almost against the front,

I have moved several pins with the head up inc revenge from mars whixh is quite heavy and lopsided.

Putting the head down makes things easier /more stable.

if moving the pin a fair bit, then you can pull it out in the unstable position, then drop it down and go round the back for more stability, in my experience withte head down, they are stable enough.

my scissor table is narrow enough to go between the front legs, i have seen others where they are wider and can only lift from the side, which is less useful.

best regards,

john

Hi John,

You've sold me on the idea of a scissor table
smile-1.png

My main desire is for moving them around in the house - sounds like the table approach will work reasonably well for what I need (I have a few in a line, so it will also help with repairs - i.e. I can get them closer to the wall and together)

Thanks for your help and info

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

this is a tip which after your second use will seem very obvious - but you could easily make a mistake the first time.

My handle when in the upright position slopes away from the trolley - but it is still rigid .

if you push the trolley all the way in, then lower it eg after taking the legs offf, then the handle will rub against the front of the pin on the way down.

so if lowering a lot don t push it all the way in

sorry to be a bit garbled, but i hope you understand the general idea.

john
smile-1.png

Hi John -

cheers for the tip - better to know now, than after I've ripped the decal on the front of the machine
smile-1.png

Been looking for aluminium trolleys, but they are mega £££, so looks like a steel on.

Keep wondering if there is an easy mod to the handles (bit more elegant than large hinges I've seen in pictures online) which would allow the handle to pivot both ways so I can get the trolley further under the machine, and also preventing ripping the decal which I'd not even thought about!

Hopefully will bite the bullet in the next few weeks and get a trolley and mod it.

Might even post pictures and details if it turns out good.

Thanks,

Dave

hi dave,

I suggest you wait for a 2nd hand aluminium trolley to come up on ebay as the steel ones are by definition about 3 times as heavy as aluminium.

However you could buy a steel one , and sell it if an aluminium one comes along.

Once i got mine, i did several different design exercises to do as you suggest - ie modify the handle.

however after i had used it a couple of times i decided it was not needed - i just take my time and have got on fine

best regards,

john

Hi JT, yeah I'd wondered about a pool table lift, but side entry is no good - need to get in from the front as all the machines are in a line, and being able to get them out easily for repairs is starting to be an issue. Also thought about a motorcycle lift (~£100 from machinemart), but the scissor trolley seemed a better idea.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi John,

Ok, I think I'll keep my eyes on ebay and see what comes up. Might get a steel one if nothing turns up in a month or so just to get me by for the moment. IF you get buy ok without the handle mods, I'll probably just skip them for now, I couldn't quite figure out if modding the handle would reduce the manoeuvrability, so was always a questionable thing. Did you ever try adding two castors to the rear for extra manoeuvrability? Or would that just make things worse?

Cheers,

Dave

There are scissor trolleys out there that have folding handles. I'm planning to take mine to Daventry this weekend if you want to see what it's like. I got it on the bay so you just need to keep your eyes open and have a bit of patience ! :cool:

xyz_dave' date=' post: 1696685 said:
Hi John,

. Did you ever try adding two castors to the rear for extra manoeuvrability? Or would that just make things worse?

Cheers,

Dave

hi

not sure what ends you mean by front and rear , mine has swivel castors at the handle end.

and non swivelling at the other end.

The non swivels are a bit of a pain until you get used to them - It would be difficult for me to physically make them all swivel due to the design of my trolley, and even if it were simpler i wouldn't bother now i have got used to steering.

one problem with swivel castors is that it is possible for them both to swivel inwards towards each other theref ore reducing the wheelbase and making things less stable. something to watch out for if going over bumpy terrain. or going round sharp corners during shunting manouvers. !!

john
smile-1.png

yes, I meant swivel castors at both front and rear, though hadn't thought about the stability problem.

Just by chance today I spotted an aluminium trolley on Ebay - done a deal with the seller so he's shipping it to me tomorrow, should have it Sunday.

Unfortunately I'm not at Daventry this weekend - have to go to a wedding instead
sad-1.png
otherwise I'd have been helping and checking out all the pinball trolleys I could find
smile-1.png

Will post any finds or revelations or questions I have in a week or so when I've used it a few times.

Cheers

Dave

Back
Top Bottom