What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball Retailers

What is the story with the cab splits ? Is that a case them being dropped? Or is it Stern saving about 1.5 pence per game by using less glue ?

What is the story with the cab splits ? Is that a case them being dropped? Or is it Stern saving about 1.5 pence per game by using less glue ?

Stern changed how they have the cabinets manufacturered with spike games (at least from gb anyway). The joint design for the cabinet is not as strong as previous designs carpentry wise. I’ve never fully understood it other then it must be cheaper and quicker for them to be made this way. I’ve not had any cabinets split myself though

On a different but related point the cabinets are alot lighter than older cabinets which makes moving them much easier for people like me who have to take them up and down stairs. The wood is not as dense I assume.

Reactions: DRD
I am not a Stern owner, but were games from the Family guy/ Sopranos era better than the more recent ones?

Looks as though Stern has engineered a lot of cost out of these games

they did replace a NIB Arcade machine which was delivered badly damaged (it took a few months) but got replaced in the end. I’m not going to write them off as they still offer a good service

A few months to replace a badly damaged machine? Struggling to see how this is a “good service”.

**** happens and things can get damaged in transit but as a buyer I would expect a NIB game to be in perfect condition.

Pinball buyers are a remarkable breed.

I can think of very few examples where folk pay huge sums of money for items with software problems, that require hours of adjustment, that may have been damaged in transit, major things immediately fail ......

Then pinball buyers buy more of the things from the same manufacturer !

TVR cars were bit like this. Yeah they leaked, the carpets weren't stuck down, they went wrong all the time ...... but in terms of speed / cost they were relatively cheap compared to porsches etc

In terms of enjoyment / cost new pinball machines are actually very expensive compared to an X box

TVR cars were bit like this. Yeah they leaked, the carpets weren't stuck down, they went wrong all the time ...... but in terms of speed / cost they were relatively cheap compared to porsches etc

I’ve had my TVR 29 years, certainly not as well finished as other makes, but no leaks, interior not falling apart, and one breakdown in those years, that was fuel pump failure due to contaminated fuel, certainly my era of TVR weren’t so bad!

But back on topic, inflation above BoE rates has affected all non essential big boy toys. I bought a car a few years ago, it doubled in ‘value’ in 12 months! A nuts world, but while interest rates are low and disposable income is high it will always happen.

Chris.

Edit... Apologies, thought this was on the Pinflation thread.

Last edited:
You have got to smile. The guy on Pinside is retro-fitting old school WPC leg plates to new Sterns

If it ain't broke ...

You have got to smile. The guy on Pinside is retro-fitting old school WPC leg plates to new Sterns

If it ain't broke ...

I’ve done that on all my new stern games also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It was easy - I phoned Martin and got him to do it LOL, nearly broke out In a sweat by the time I’d found his number :)

It’s easy for most of the games but one or two have cabling in the way that you have to re-route. It’s just in an awkward place.

My BM66 came with the new braces in all 4 x corners within the cab which is one of the reasons I went for the newer build

It was easy - I phoned Martin and got him to do it LOL, nearly broke out In a sweat by the time I’d found his number :)

It’s easy for most of the games but one or two have cabling in the way that you have to re-route. It’s just in an awkward place.

Did you go for the heavy duty BW or the smaller ones?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom