What's new

Pinball Pro Speakers

JMP

Site Supporter
Got them in my SS and sound good. Heard Replicas' in his TAF last night and they sound simply fantastic, re-surging my interest in some for Tron. However, have heard there can be background hiss on the Stern versions which would be very annoying if true... Anyone fitted them to a Stern and noticed this?

Cheers in advance.

Yeah, I got them for Metallica, and it sounds waaaay to bassy, even with the bass adjustment turned down to minimum, and many of the high tones are lost. Overall the sounds quality is much worse and you have to have it much quieter or the glass will shake itself off. My neighbour who is an electronic engineer has promised to come and add a resistor somewhere to try and alter the balance or something, but right now I am not impressed. But background hiss? The sound quality is too poor to hear it over the bass.

Hope that helps

Yes, thanks. Not what I was hoping to hear though..... Maybe I should spend the money elsewhere then. :(
Cheers.

I've just been on the phone with Pinball Pro in the US, and to be fair Greg, the guy I spoke to, was very helpful. Basically he said that Metallica is an odd one as it is fairly bassy already, but that he would like to help me tune the speakers so they would work better with this particular machine.

He talked me through putting one of the connectors onto an alternative hidden lug on the speaker, which has improved the sound a bit, and said he would offer a full refund if I wasn't satisfied, although how that would work with postage back to the US I don't know.

He also recommended connecting a resistor inline with the connector to reduce the bass volume, and eventually we decided that a better solution would be to connect a variable resistor volume control to the bass unit, so that the balance between bass unit and box box speakers could be controlled better. I'll try this and see what the result is, but I was impressed that the company was keen to help.

Last edited:
Good to hear. Sounds like a load of p*ssing about though.

Will have to search out someone who's actually fitted them to a Tron, just in case it's a different story for different machines. Will have a nosey Pinside way. Ta.

Greg from Pinbal Pro is a sound guy and it does not surprise me one bit that he is so willing to help out. My sister lives two blocks away from him and when I was last over there I called round to his house (after asking if it would be ok to call) and got the grand tour or his house which is also his place of work with all the stuff he sells.
A great guy and one of the good guys in the hobby.
I love the speakers in my TAF but they suit some machines better than others.

I have them fitted in my Tron, there is most definitively lots of bass. I have had lots of issues with things rattling, but now have anti rattle tape on the glass, but doesn't stop the back box of the flynns sign falling off on a regular basis!
Sounds better than original, but the machine / speakers would benefit from having higher quality output from sound board.

Thanks for that. Love the soundtrack to Tron played at pumping top volume, hence considering the speakers for the pin. Overall, you'd recommend them then...?

Suppose always could sell them on or try them in ST if not what I was hoping...

I would recommend, might be worth asking around to see any one else needs a pair to share the postage. I did also go for the sub woofer upgrade. Was going to suggest come and have a listen....but you are a long way from me.

Ah, so maybe the sub-woofer upgrade (not the normal one) made it a bit too bassy...?! Thanks for invite, Devon is a great place to get down to and may get there in the summer, but I'll have probably plunged on a set by then ! ;) Cheers.

Have you tried some flipper fidelty in your Stern. I found pinball pro don't work so good on Stern Machines but Flipper Fidelty work great.
It can be odd that on some machines keeping with stock speakers sounds best in back box and just doing subwoofer upgrade but attaching an L-pad to back box so you can adjust them to suit.

Back
Top Bottom