What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PINBALL MACHINE PLAYFIELD ROTISSERIE

replicas

Site Supporter
Alias
Nipper Pinball
Was'nt someone putting one of these together to sell ?

Would be interested in seeing what stage it was at. Have looked back through the threads but can't see anything.

I think the guy was gonna put a price together for him to buy the bits and build them then do a price to sell them on , but not heard out abt it since? Shame they would be v handy.

Pudsey pinball' date=' post: 1689765 said:
I think the guy was gonna put a price together for him to buy the bits and build them then do a price to sell them on , but not heard out abt it since? Shame they would be v handy.

Agreed. I use handy clamps (one in each corner then one on either side in the middle) but it can be a bit of a pain flipping the PF once you start re-populating.

Still interested in this (bearing in mind i have a TAF PF swap to do soon......)

I got fed up trying to find one and made my own!

Fully adjustable up/down/in/out.

Comments were it didn't look strong enough but I've used it to do 3 playfield swaps so far and it's perfect. I use clamps plus there is always convenient holes in the playfield for a small nut/bolt.

hi - "Wasn't someone putting one together ?"

I had posted an idea about putting together a - one trolley does everything idea, which would include a rotisserie.

ie, all terrain sack barrow, scissor trolley , tipper/untipper, with a rotisserie attachment.

I stopped because others gave welcome feedback saying - it would be too heavy - possibly true - but that had not been a priority for me - compact size was more important.

and also because of feedback that I had not considered stability properly - true - it would have been possible- but a bit fiddly - to overcome.

As I already have a lightweight aluminium scissor trolley, I did not progress with the project.

Components would have been around the £150 range , with manufacturing cost on top of that too.

John
smile-1.png

Come on - if someone can supply me with a shopping list of all the parts from the same UK place (screwfix etc)i'll be out getting them tomorrow
smile-1.png
wink-1.png

Actually Steve, thats a bloomin good idea - a Clothes rail with a piece of angle.

What did you use to hold the angle to the bar coming in from the sides???

Hi Paul - A shopping list of all the parts ( ?)

After I got the initial design, I spent a lot of hours searching out good components, but never got as far as the rotisserie Part.

There were going to be at least 5 suppliers, ( apart from rotisserie ) as I would rather not have anything than have 2nd best.

I think the clothes rail is an excellent idea.

I had considered using two cheap trestles to support the ends of the removed playfield, it would be easy to make a heath robinson clamp and pivot for rotating,

I have a simple idea for getting it to stop spinning / lock into position if you were supporting it on trestles. ( for a rotisserie - not for the flipper I have outlined below) Unfortunately it would be tricky to write it out, but if anyone is interested, drop me a pm/message and with your phone number and i will be happy to discuss it with you.

Best regards,

john

Playfield flipper.

This idea may be of interest instead of a rotisserie.

This is the concept, but you could simplify it.

have three trestles in a line each spaced 4 feet ( ish, the length of a playfield) apart. If you are using three trestles they always stay on the same place on the floor.

attach a braket and hinges - like for a garden gate, to one end of the playfield.

Attach the same hinge to the middle trestle.

When you want to work on the underneath, flip the playfield so that it rests on the left trestle.

When you want to work on the topside , flip the table so that it rests on the right trestle.

hope that makes sense.

good luck,

john

I'm going with the clothes rail idea - Have sent feelers out on FB looking for one thats right el cheapo - then all i have to do is find some angle iron with the holes and somehow connect that to the side bars. Adjustable height is a great idea since it can then be used floor standing or on a raised surface... I'll have to document it, but with full props to Steve for the idea tho
biggrin-1.png

[ somehow connect that to the side bars. quote]

the clothes rail is likely to be made out of round tube.

you could cut out the horizontal tube, and use the horizontal round ends that are left at the top of the verticles to locate your "axle"

I bought the clothes rail from eBay, as it had all the adjusters that I wanted already in place:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Dut...ltDomain_3&hash=item484385c006#ht_2383wt_1398

The crossbars are cut lengths of tubing I had from a racking unit, and this had threaded plugs in the end which I could use to bolt the angles to.

Best thing is you can wheel it around once the playfield is on it, unlike the American desktop ones being sold.

Not sure where abouts you are Paul but your welcome to come over and borrow it as I'm not planning any more playfield swaps for a bit! (too bulky to post).

I know it is not a rotisserie but I use one of these, http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002QRWH...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B002QRWH3S , to be honest I do not know how I managed before I got it, it is strong enough to hold a pin off the ground while changing legs etc and a playfield fits in it nicely.

Andy

So, anyone else used this?

Never done a pf swop and doing one soon. Would probably buy this, and sell it once done.

For an EM pf swop if that makes a difference?

So, anyone else used this?

Never done a pf swop and doing one soon. Would probably buy this, and sell it once done.

For an EM pf swop if that makes a difference?

I use one of those too - it's brilliant. And unlike a custom made rotisserie, it can be used for other jobs too. I also bought the adjustable stand, but to be honest it is not totally necessary
as the clamp will tighten so much that it will hold the playfield on it's own.
I've got the playfield mounted vertically in the pics below, so I can easily get to both sides of the playfield, but you can easily fit the playfield in horizontally too if you wanted to.

IMAG0416.jpg IMAG0415.jpg

That looks brilliant:)

So, it would be possible to clamp lower part of p/f and have it vertical so could work both sides?

This looks like what I have been looking for!

Would a work mate (or cheaply copy) not let you mount the playfield vertically and work both sides?

Possibly need a bit of weight on the legs to stop it toppling over when fully populated

That looks brilliant:)

So, it would be possible to clamp lower part of p/f and have it vertical so could work both sides?

This looks like what I have been looking for!

Yeah, you could do that. The other nice thing (which is an advantage over a simple workmate) is that you can also mount it horizontally, so that way you have it flat in case you need to do any touchup work on the playfield - at about 2:50 he shows how you turn the clamp round to fit very wide things in it (up to 900mm wide).

Here's a video of how it works:

Maybe it's me,. however I dont fancy a complete playfield being supported by one end for anything more than a few minutes... However the Way @JT. has it, they are supported both ends.

Says it can hold a ton of weight in vertical position so pf should be more than ok!

Says it can hold a ton of weight in vertical position so pf should be more than ok!

I'm not talking about the support weight of the base - I'm on about the PF itself - Some of these things are years old, and could well fall apart under their own weight!

I'm not talking about the support weight of the base - I'm on about the PF itself - Some of these things are years old, and could well fall apart under their own weight!

Ah, gotcha!

Yes, of course, I never thought of that - could split or anything.

Tempted but 86 quid is not cheap. I've ended up just putting my in-progress pf on 3 saw horses - one at each end and one supporting the middle. Not ideal and takes up way more space than it needs to, but it works and is stable. I'd love a proper table-top rotisserie TBH! Shame they're only really available in the US (like many pinball things!).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom