What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pinball machine kept in shed

stewart cook

Registered
Hi there im a bit short of room in the house and wondered does any body keep their pinball machines in a wooden shed in the garden in the uk or is it asking for trouble with the cold or damp? Thanks

As long as shed is not leaky short term storage, prob fine. Long term .....prob best not to.

I have stored couple machines in my unheated brick outhouse/store for up to a year and they were fine. Wrapped in blankets. I certainly wouldnt store a precious backglass in a shed though. What era pin is it ?

As long as shed is not leaky short term storage, prob fine. Long term .....prob best not to.

I have stored couple machines in my unheated brick outhouse/store for up to a year and they were fine. Wrapped in blankets. I certainly wouldnt store a precious backglass in a shed though. What era pin is it ?
Hi I dont own one as yet but probs something from the nineties thanks

If your shed has leccy stick in one of these or similar....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hylite-1ft-...id=1410775398&sr=1-1&keywords=45w+tube+heater

It'll keep the temperature swing lower and stop things from getting wetted by the dew point. Also by the very nature of hotter air, it'll move the air around a bit.

What was more amazing is that one of these raised our garage temp from -3 to +4 when we had the bad winter.

If your shed has leccy stick in one of these or similar....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hylite-1ft-Eco-Tube-Heater-White/dp/B00ID7UF7A/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1410775398&sr=1-1&keywords=45w tube heater

It'll keep the temperature swing lower and stop things from getting wetted by the dew point. Also by the very nature of hotter air, it'll move the air around a bit.

What was more amazing is that one of these raised our garage temp from -3 to +4 when we had the bad winter.
Wow thats good. Thanks

I've heard that wrapping the machines in blankets is a good idea, but can anyone explain why? They aren't alive so blankets wont keep them warm. It will keep some heat in for a bit till it's all escaped. Does it keep them drier. I'm interested as I am looking at a storage unit with no leccy....

From personal experience I would say blankets help keep the condensation out and also the dust, not totally but definitely better than not having them covered.

If you bought a cabin,insulated with high density foil backed foam,this would stop some radiant heat coming in the summer,and insulate for colder times.Also acts as a bit of a sound deadener.Countless people on here have done pinsheds - @lukewells reported it on this group.
Get a dehumidifier too

For me that would be a no no.
Too small for starters,would rather save up,even if it took a year or two,to get something more robust

Definately small and not megarobust.

But in terms of using it as a pinball store, any particular reason why it would be a no-no?

I am thinking that if is that small there is a limit to how much moisture laden air would be in it. And it would be relatively easy to keep the temperature from getting too cold...

Dude the rain is gonna get in that crappy thing. One heavy downpour and it will get in the bottom. Most pins sit on the back of the cab, I reckon that's what happened to the R&B currently being restored by @Wiredworm

Even the crappiest pin is worth a grand these days - would you put an LCD telly or a musical instrument in that thing? Better off lending your excess games to a mate

Yup, I think Dan is spot on with that. The entire rear end had been eated up and the sides had also started to go.

I've got a lot to do on my R&B for now - but once done I already have a home lined up for it where it can be 'on loan' whilst I pick up a new one. That of course presumes that we haven't moved already by then.

Anyone got any thoughts on something like this:
ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51sNRN3QWUL._SX425_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/5FT-3FT-PLASTIC-TALL-SHED/dp/B0043R1IKW/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1410855721&sr=8-15&keywords=keter plastic garden shed

I reckon I could store two pins in there. It could be insulated a bit, and it could even be wired up with electrics for a very small shed heater. Probably too small for an electric dehumidifier, but could possibly use a little Calcium Chloride caravan dehumidifier pot.

Any mileage in that?
I have one of these as well, they are terrible for condenation unfortunately.

Also a few years back, I wrote off 3 pins that were stored on end in it. Water came in, and then didn't drain back out, so the backs of the pins were ruined

Back
Top Bottom