What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball info potted history

domlouis

Registered
Hello,
A post for the admins really.
I was reflecting on my pinball purchase history recently. I think I bought my first pin in the UK in 2003-2004. It was a R&B bought on ebay which I sold on in 2006 I think also on ebay. Anyway that got me thinking whether this sale and purchase would have featured in the eBay sticky thread that we now have. But then I realised that the forum maybe didn't exist at the time. Or did it?
Hence my question: anyone dare giving us a short potted history of pinballinfo?
Thanks
Dom

Forums been going since mid 2011. Most where on the yahoo group mailing list before that (some still are, myself included, although I think it’s dead now as of December)

The subject of a forum came up every few months over the years and was moaned and plauded in equal measures but nothing ever happened. Then Paul took the project on and set a forum up. Then there was the whole us and them mentality for a right few years (both sides as bitter as each other) Then yahoo announced it was no longer supporting groups and everything would be deleted in six months, big kick up, yahoo backed down and said it would keep stuff. Still less and less used the mail group especially as yahoo were making changes all the time.

now we are all friends again although a few didn’t make it over to the forum 😩

I joined Aug 30th 2011 and was on the yahoo group. Joined more out of curiosity really and thought it was a damn site easier to navigate than the yahoo group site. The rest is history as they say.

Don't forget the pre-forum forum (existed for perhaps a 1 week or so) that motivated @Paul enough to go live with this one...!

I joined 18th Aug 2011, may have lurked before then. :wave:

If I remember correctly Matt Vince had a very brief launch with a forum as part of the Surrey League website which prompted Paul to announce what he had been working on.

oki... Well i didnt realise it was that old!!

So i was the first to join (obvs as i set it up).. However under a different username (Explains why i couldnt find it, and mine shows Oct 5th 2012!!). I was closely followed by @ronsplooter @Pinballsurgery and @Dave Bishop :)

I used to Co-own and run a Massive (33k+) forum based here in the uk - No advertising, IT was all built up by word of mouth over 5 years (i believe it was the second biggest forum in the UK at the time), which was called "thedvdforums".
Left as i was going through a Divorce at the time, and didnt want the place being dragged through the mud etc
There were musings on the old Yahoo Group about forums which happened from time to time... And Bluejonny actually set one up - however it was on one of these free sites with Ads and massive limitations on what you could do.
Having been there many years before, i set up this place under Vbulletin (paid) software and hosted somewhere decent :) I didnt know if anyone would come, however at the very least it was on something sustainable, upgradeable, and the only limitations were cost and server space.

This Ran for a number of years as was.... changing forum software in the middle to the new release of a new platform, written by the same guy who was the lead designer for Vbulletin.

From what i can make out, the first account was created 20 July 2011. So yes, 10 year aniversary this year!!!

Back
Top Bottom