What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball in Documentaries, films etc (?)

Rensenbrink

Registered
Been watching a US series recently, 'Quarry', which is really good anyway but as it's set in the early 70s gives some tantalising glimpses of old pinballs. In fact, one villain uses them to store drugs in.

Does anyone know of any productions which feature significant pinballs? Of course I don't mean Tommy which I think is overrated as a film anyway. No offence to anyone who loves it!

This sort of thing is a main reason why I've joined the forum as I'm very interested in the history of pinball, a) because I bloody love em and b) I'm fascinated by virtually everything about them.

In case my motives appear mildly suspicious here, just to let you know that I write for what is jokingly called a living but my way of working is more to include & involve people rather than just nick a few ideas and scarper :D . I was telling stoptap that I've had a story idea about pinball in my head for a long long time and I've nowt but big respect for owners & afficianadoes.

My daughter watches some crap kids show about two girls who invent computer games. They live in a pad with a Spy Hunter always shown. True to life I've never seen anyone play it.

One of the best is the story of Pinball 2000. The battle to save pinball. It's excellent but it might make you feel a bit sad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

most pinballs machines can simply be broken down into a basic level and reproduced using the following
5 led torches with coloured sweet wrappers over the lens
A 50 page colouring book and assorted pens
Piece of green house glass
Calculator
A concierge / reception bell
Few sheets of ply
200 £50 notes (or sometimes more) and a box of matches to set fire to the money
An angry wife
A wardrobe to live in as house full of pins
Your favourite music cd (only for post 90s) machines
A disillusioned mind

It's a basic deconstruction but fairly honest

PS. Forgot to mention, if Dan suggests an idea for a film , I would suggest edging away slowly and head for a safe place....

Zaccaria Ten Stars - with some spooky skeletons stuck on it to cover up the copyright infringement? Also apparently painted pink.

image-5.jpg

I just watched ' The Purge', the glass gets smashed on what I believe is a Stern Galaxy with a modified backglass during a fight between Ethan Hawk and one of the bad guys.

Modified galaxy...

galaxy.jpg

There's also a Getaway with yellow stickers on the translite and lightning bolts on the speakers

Getaway.jpg

Last edited:
There are some great documentaries and as someone has mentioned Pinball 2000 is a great one which teaches you the history, birth and death. Check out on you tube. There are some good pinball shorts on their too. Sam C (I think) who is on here did one you can find on you tube. You get to see some of the chaps on this forum too. The is one called 'Special When lit' and 'Tilt'

The latest one is Wizard Mode about Robert Gagno. I haven't seen it yet but I hear it's pretty good.

You've also got one all about Spooky Pinball which has just been released for download after being shown at some of the American shows.

Not seen it so can't say much about it.

Someone should do another Pinball 2000 style update to show the turning point of the resurgence. JJP getting p*ssed with Stern, makes his own machines, then boutique makers think they can do better, rob everyone, yet ultimately force Stern to step up their game.

I'm imagining a lot of cut scenes with torch wielding simpsons characters with a few of Gary Stern shaking his fist into the camera.

One of the best is the story of Pinball 2000. The battle to save pinball. It's excellent but it might make you feel a bit sad

You mean "TILT: The battle to Save Pinball"
http://www.tilt-movie.com/
By far the best Pinball documentary out there.
The other documentary I've seen "Pinball 101" just seems to set up the players and collectors to be look a bit weird and overall is a bit dull.

Back
Top Bottom