What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball glass - Tempered or Laminated

PAX

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul Woollard
Basically, does it really make that much of a difference if you were to use one or the other?

yes. Laminated will generate double reflections and if it breaks will be dangerous.

You can get non reflective laminate, used extensively in museums and art galleries apparently and doesn't laminate shatter but remain intact

You can get non reflective laminate, used extensively in museums and art galleries apparently and doesn't laminate shatter but remain intact
Depending on the level of damage/impact laminate will generally hold together. However it will generate shards, splinters and worst of all glass dust. Keep it well clear from a pin.

I've watched slow motion videos of both tyoes breaking and there are numerous micro fragments produced with each.
Also given that with tempered glass the whole sheet is going to fall into the playfield I can't imagine that's going to be any better. Those small pieces still have very sharp edges even if they're not like glass daggers

I've watched slow motion videos of both tyoes breaking and there are numerous micro fragments produced with each.
Also given that with tempered glass the whole sheet is going to fall into the playfield I can't imagine that's going to be any better. Those small pieces still have very sharp edges even if they're not like glass daggers
It’s mainly the dust that’s created from laminate that’s going to cause you the biggest issue, breathe that in and it can cause you all sorts of problems as well as being highly carcinogenic.

Reactions: PAX
Back
Top Bottom