What's new

Pinball Etiquette - League

I was also asked to move from the side of a machine at my first meet last week.

I hope that wasn't me you were referring to @Archyta5? ;)
I have been known to utter the odd swear word when the ball drains though :oops:
I try not to take things too seriously these days and have learned just to shrug my shoulders if things go wrong in a competition. :)

Happened to me at The South Coast Slam a few years ago. It's definitely a North / South thing. Never been an issue up North :).

Maybe I'm a bit precious, but I would personally politely ask someone not to lean on a machine I was playing as I do find it intensely distracting for some reason.

So long as they're not somehow actually blocking my view of the playfield they can stand where they like. I wouldn't object if someone asked me to move a bit either though - Not that there's a lot of room for that at most meets however.

I wouldn't object if someone asked me to move a bit either though - Not that there's a lot of room for that at most meets however.
Room wasn't an issue at Ians place last weekend, I think we were all in different counties :). Wait till my meet next month, will be like trying to play on a rush hour tube.

Leaning on a machine is a definite no-no as it can influence how much the machine is moved whilst nudging...and any new players can be politely told this...my dad did it at his first league meeting & I told why he shouldn't & he was mortified that his ignorance might cause a problem, so asked me to immediately inform him if he made any other faux pas. ...not that he has, because he plays "up north" where we can tolerate the sight of another human being (or northerner) whilst playing :rofl:

...I mean seriously... someone "standing" in a player's eye-line being asked to move - jeesh, get a grip!! - unless they're deliberately jumping around or waving their arms or something trying to put you off what's the problem?

...no wait...I have had a fantastic idea to make shed loads of money..."pinball screens" to go between machines and around a player during competition
...if you put the word "pinball" before a normal everyday item you can sell it for at least 3x its normal value.
...I'm going to design them now...
...they'll be machine specific...be fully led'd...and be available in "pro" & "LE" models ...think I'm up to at least 10x the price of a normal screen now - any takers? :p:cool:;):thumbs:

Regards,
Dan.

..I mean seriously... someone "standing" in a player's eye-line being asked to move - jeesh, get a grip!! - unless they're deliberately jumping around or waving their arms or something trying to put you off what's the problem?

I was standing right by the side of his machine and if that's a distraction for the player I don't mind at all being asked to move. For the rest of the meet, and in future, I'll watch from behind the player.

As for noise, I've just played my son in my own home and I've also just realised how much noise we both make. Lots of Yessssss, Yayyyy, and Oh Nooooo. That's a habit that might need correcting for competitions.

Leaning on a machine is a definite no-no as it can influence how much the machine is moved whilst nudging...and any new players can be politely told this...my dad did it at his first league meeting & I told why he shouldn't & he was mortified that his ignorance might cause a problem, so asked me to immediately inform him if he made any other faux pas. ...not that he has, because he plays "up north" where we can tolerate the sight of another human being (or northerner) whilst playing :rofl:

...I mean seriously... someone "standing" in a player's eye-line being asked to move - jeesh, get a grip!! - unless they're deliberately jumping around or waving their arms or something trying to put you off what's the problem?

...no wait...I have had a fantastic idea to make shed loads of money..."pinball screens" to go between machines and around a player during competition
...if you put the word "pinball" before a normal everyday item you can sell it for at least 3x its normal value.
...they'll be machine specific...be fully led'd...and be available in "pro" & "LE" models ...think I'm up to at least 10x the price of a normal screen now - any takers? :p:cool:;):thumbs:

Regards,
Dan.
How will the score takers see you when you put your hand up to have your score taken? Perhaps a little switch that turns the led a gentle red colour to indicate your game is over....

I agree about the line of sight thing, don't think there needs to be "rules" as such. Just common sense. Glad to see most people think the same way when it come to etiquette

I was standing right by the side of his machine and if that's a distraction for the player I don't mind at all being asked to move. For the rest of the meet, and in future, I'll watch from behind the player....
Yes... I agree entirely...you see, I'm put off by anyone in a good mood, so from now on when I'm at a league meeting anyone laughing, or obviously having a good time, will be asked to leave as it distracts me from getting a good score.
I'm sure everyone will agree that it's entirely reasonable, after all it's just good etiquette to kowtow to every little whim that a "good" pinball player has :p

Regards,
Dan.

As a host I couldn't give a **** if people swear:p but I guess it bothers some people. Maybe tone it down in front of the kids. Hitting a machine is a big no no. I was getting annoyed with someone doing this a couple of years ago.

Would be happier if people said they were likely to turn up. At this stage I'm expecting somewhere between 20 to 40 people on Sunday. That's a big ****ing variance when you are trying to sort food etc out. (I know I'm as guilty as others though about not confirming attendance)

The vast majority of people have been really cool over the last few years

Robin's "sexy dance" last year has become the stuff of legend. Not too sure it was appropriate in front of a seven year old:eek:

Regards,
Dan.
Are you bringing some round this Sunday Dan? ;)

Yeah, I taught my 62 year old father in law how to do that one Christmas, along with burping the word ********. My mother in law was less than impressed, and still is to be fair.

Happened to me at The South Coast Slam a few years ago. It's definitely a North / South thing. Never been an issue up North :).

Sorry to disagree with most of the other northerners here... for me, if someone is standing there from the start of the game then i'm not too fussed - it's when someone appears mid-game, or suddenly you have a child squeezing past your hands to stand in between the machines - that's what i find distracting and yeah, I don't like it. Of course pinball is meant to be fun, it's a hobby, but please appreciate that we're referring to etiquette during the league and competitions, where there's something to play for, so whether you attend a meet in the north or the south, it would be nice if people still respected that.

Do I just go for the throat and tell him or try to find some way of asking him politely?

Nah, just send him a copy of the link saying it's been suggested to you that he has a read of these 10 commandments of pinball etiquette! :cool:

But as for making a lot of noise when I'm playing. Er.... might do.

I know I get very excited when a game really gets going well. And very disappointed if I fumble a ball away. A huge OH NO has been known escaped my lips before now.

I was at the same meet as you and you were fine, there was a lot worse from others at the same meet, which is why Greg felt compelled to mention it...

Back
Top Bottom