What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball dilemma

Anton

Registered
hi, I am new to forum but owned a TZ in the past and have recently posted a wanted add in the for sale thread. Unfortunately I probably didn't think things through and my decision is fairly tough for a newbie.

I am looking for TAF or TZ. The forum has come through with, thus far, a few sellers and good options. either a restored TZ or a very good TAF. The TZ is about £400 more than the TAF. I feel I should go for a TAF as I have been down the TZ route. However a restored TZ is a thing of beauty and it was a great table....plus it might allow me to buy a TAF next year and restore it myself....or do I buy the TAF and restore a TZ next year..or buy two non minters and restore both over time.......aaaarrrrgghhhh

whichever option I take I will have a regret, but which would I regret less.....

PS the sellers I am talking to I would have to discount your vote!

See what comes up here first. Thats if youre lucky enough to nab one. They're both sought after tables, priced correctly that is. Good luck!

TZ is the most complex pin ever made and is a thing of beauty. It was built off the back of TAFs success with an almost unlimited budget, and it shows.

TAFs are also up there as the highest selling pin of all times and is just the perfect 'heyday' design that just keeps you coming back for more.

If you're planning to eventually own both, I'd say get the TZ while you can. They rarely come up for sale compared to TAFs which are often like the busses...

I think you are overthinking this o_O Pick one, buy it, play it, sell it, buy the other one - both of these games come up fairly frequently ;)

@strobey I would also agree with you matey. TZ don't come along that often, yet you can pretty easily find a TAF.

Talking of which.......get either of them set back up mate! I fancy a blast!

Dunc

See what comes up here first. Thats if youre lucky enough to nab one. They're both sought after tables, priced correctly that is. Good luck!

Both options have come up together....price is a tough one, but both in at what I thought they would be and as an investment they aren't really going down in price nowadays

Both options have come up together....price is a tough one, but both in at what I thought they would be and as an investment they aren't really going down in price nowadays
Never ever buy a machine as an 'investment'. Tell the wife that if you must, but nobody can tell where prices will go. Yes they have risen hugely in last decade but that bubble can stop rising/burst at any time.

Never ever buy a machine as an 'investment'. Tell the wife that if you must, but nobody can tell where prices will go. Yes they have risen hugely in last decade but that bubble can stop rising/burst at any time.

I use investment in its loosest terms. If I get out what I put in then I am happy, it just means I put the money to sleep for a few years....

Easy solution buy both.;)

Getting your cash back at top end prices might or might not happen. Who knows what state the economy will be in when you want to sell. For the last 10 years there has been an steady increase in prices but this trend could easily be reversed. Would it really matter though if you've enjoyed the game?

Both these titles come up all the time and prices have increased massively in last few years.

Everyone wants 'want they have in a game' so prices keep going up. Prices are HIGH right now so at some point they will go down again.

Main thing is that it's a hobby, hobbies usually cost money so just enjoy the hobby and forget about 'pinball as an investment' unless explaining a purchase to other half;)

Farnborough, huh?

You could take a trip down to Special When Lit and try a few games out to help with the decision making process...! :thumbs:

Al things equal, if you are new to all this buy the TAF. I own both.

TZ is TAF on steroids. BUT, and this is a big but, a TAF is far more reliable and far easier to live with.

My TAF never gives any trouble. But TZ, wonderful though it is, is fiendishly complicated. I have had loads of trouble with my Tz and getting it set up properly took ages ...

The autoshooter
Opto board
The hassle of setting flippers up properly with a ceramic and steel ball
The dreaded clock, one of the least reliable toys in pinball history
Ramp diverter that dumps the ball on the pf

TZ was never a success in the field to the same extent as TAF because of its complexity

Better to get to grips with TAF, get used to fixing simpler mechs before going for the TZ.

TAF as if you decide it's not for you will be easy to swap for something else. never liked tz from playing it new but can understand why it's so popular

T
TAF as if you decide it's not for you will be easy to swap for something else. never liked tz from playing it new but can understand why it's so popular
i loved my TZ and despite it being my first pin it never had a problem. The downside is you need to work at really playing it, so not an easy switch on and play......

....the other crazy thought was to buy two cheaper units for 2k each....Roadshow looks interesting along with a STTNG...might squeeze a pair for that sort of money......kids would like it as well.....

Problem solved, buying two machines rather than one, but not TZ or TAF...! I feel I should dabble in other areas before I settle down....wife unhappy as doesn't see how buying two lower cost machines is the same as one expensive one....surely if I stick to the same budget then what does it matter.......?

Thanks for the help !

Problem solved, buying two machines rather than one, but not TZ or TAF...! I feel I should dabble in other areas before I settle down....wife unhappy as doesn't see how buying two lower cost machines is the same as one expensive one....surely if I stick to the same budget then what does it matter.......?

Thanks for the help !

I'm sure if it was pairs of shoes or dresses she would rather have two than one ;)

maybe they should have pinball set up like the new cigarette packaging...All the same, bland grey boxes....would help prevent addiction....possibly add photos to the machines showing garages, sheds and houses rammed to the rafters along with people's bank statements showing how much they have spent......its a responsible thing to do....!

Back
Top Bottom