What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you recommend buying a PIN2DMD Display?

• Yes

Votes: 32 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
PIN2DMD PALETTE ONLY FILES.

Organised under ROM VERSION NAME.

Somne of these files will need patched roms (Family guy, Star Trek, AC/DC etc).

It is a starting point. Some are okay. Some are awful......

Others just need pin2dmd.pal added to the root folder on the SD card.

ALSO some totally free full colorization files here....

Attachments

• PIN2DMD PAL.zip
    7 MB · Views: 6
Congrats to Mike to having finished this group buy smoothly ! You are really lucky to have a guy like him in the forum.
It was a pleasure working with you together on this.
Having read some of your comments I have a few things to add.
- The 64bit version of my pin2dmd tool (OSX and WIN64) is able to backup the keyfile.
- The keyfile is no longer named pin2dmd.key but a combination of the unique number+".key"
- never ever use the 5V from WPC machines to power pin2dmd. It is to weak and may damage your pinball.
Also don´t use the 12V DIGITAL path. Only use the 12V POWER path as described on https://pin2dmd.com/hardware/
- If you need support for your pin2dmd use the community here or on vpuniverse.com instead of sending me PM.
Although I developped this product I´m not the best to answer questions in combination with specific machine types
and especially not about colorizations. I don´t even keep track of the colorizations out there except the ones for the machines
I personally own.

In the name of the children of the charity projects we support with your license donations, thanks
for supporting the pin2dmd project.

http://www.soh-kenya.de/
http://stelzenmaennchen.de/
https://www.sanni-foundation.ch/
https://www.deslumieresdanslesyeux.fr/

Last edited:
Hi Pinheads

At first: Congrats to @MadNat for the huge effort he put in to this project!
Now i saw that some of you started playing with the pin2dmd editor and are colorizing some new pins.
Some of you maybe know my website pin-display.ch. There i have all files i found listed up for the pin2dmd.
It would be fantastic to have some more :clap: so if you are doing a project or know somebody who is doing one, please PM me.

Cheers
Rafal

Tinted? I'm installing full on Cathedral grade stained glass window on mine [emoji3]

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Great help. :)
It slightly bothers me that I can see the unlit pixels when everything is turned off. Anyone else, or is it just me. This applies to the original DMD as well. Haven’t installed my colour one yet.

It slightly bothers me that I can see the unlit pixels when everything is turned off. Anyone else, or is it just me. This applies to the original DMD as well. Haven’t installed my colour one yet.
Such a thing exists, pinballsp sells with his I think, search on here for "amber filter" and "gray filter"

I've used the black one in a pack like this (I had a larger set for messing around with an SLR camera [not DSLR!!]) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pieces-Fil...ed-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=332178031

Excellent effect on an F14 with a PinLED display, the scores are essentially pitch black when not lit, but the scores still shine through pleasingly enough - the PinLED itself I do not recommend, for what it's worth.

I am not sure if the black filter is going to look as great with a Pin2DMD though I can't see why not - I bought mine in anticipation of completing a... very, very long term, high effort write-off game. I'm in no position to try it out here any time soon...

Life is good! @MadNat thank you. @slippifishi thank you @myPinballs thank you.

My work is done with CFTBL.
I powered the 12v supply on my last socket on the power expander board that Jim produces.

***Actually its not done if I get the hologram mod that about to be available. Dang...

@astyy @stumblor

Attachments

• 20200120_141549.jpg
    20200120_141549.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Got mine hooked up to white water just now.
Very cool.stock pallet is absolute muck though!!!!
Hopefully get tftc done tomorrow eve.im dreading it though because tftc is taking a few mins to boot and I haven't investigated....

Hopefully get tftc done tomorrow eve.im dreading it though because tftc is taking a few mins to boot and I haven't investigated....
I've had this in the past on DE game. Check for low 5v on power board at power up. Bad capacitor can be the culprit, C2 check for leakage. I think C7 also worth checking. I changed both and it sorted my booting issue.

Oddly enough Pinball Heaven posted a little vid about last week.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

tftc - check your 5v on the power board. Most likely low and rising slowly due to leaking /bad cap

yeah I agree - same issue in the LED colorDMD.

i couldnt get pinbalsp to sell me his filter!

Got my Batman setup yesterday so looking good but Tmnt is a weird one as it doesnt seem to load the Rom up just stays on the pin2dmd screen i was talking to Asty and for some reason my tmnt display Rom only has 28 legs so guessing i need to find a 32 leg Rom anyone else had any weird Rom issues?

Just stays like this so guessing rom issue

Your rom for tmht is a 64k one (27c512) so 28 pins is correct. 32 pin ics only get used when the size is 1mb or higher, ie 27c010 etc. Is there a jumper on these new board to allow smaller roms to run, or is it automatically setup? Looks like you have it installed correctly if you align the gnd pin of the ics together, ie the bottom of the chip etc. Double check the notch on the silkscreen to make sure its not in backwards.

If you want a new v1.04 tmht display rom then let me know via pm.

Last edited:
This is a close up of the socket, which shows a notch position for 32 and 28 pin ROMs. The lettering says 27010 / 27512. @scottydoesntknow if @myPinballs has a later display ROM that's a no brainer as you'll likely need it for the scenes colour file that's available anyway.

1579595869509.png

@MadNat - what was supposed to come in the delivery packs? Mine arrived with a conspicuous hole in the outer packet - you just *know* that someone's looked inside it - but I don't believe anything is missing - the connector was in another envelope in the pack which was a good idea for this very reason.

I don't reckon anything is missing (or that anything is damaged) but I may as well ask

With the “Standard” - EVO128X64 There should be an assembled DMD with a white envelope containing
1 blue and great power cable, with 4 socket molex on one end, crimps on the other
2 a 4 socket molex for connecting to a spare 12V on a Bally/Williams board
3 blue wire taps X 2 (for connecting to an existing 12V cable if there is no spare connector on your machine)
4 a SD card adapter so you can copy files on a PC to your DMD SD card

With the “Standard” - EVO128X64 There should be an assembled DMD with a white envelope containing
1 blue and great power cable, with 4 socket molex on one end, crimps on the other
2 a 4 socket molex for connecting to a spare 12V on a Bally/Williams board
3 blue wire taps X 2 (for connecting to an existing 12V cable if there is no spare connector on your machine)
4 a SD card adapter so you can copy files on a PC to your DMD SD card
All present and correct then.

Cheers once again for achieving all of this! It'll be a while before I can show it in its intended use in my case, but it'll be utterly worth it...

Got my Batman setup yesterday so looking good but Tmnt is a weird one as it doesnt seem to load the Rom up just stays on the pin2dmd screen i was talking to Asty and for some reason my tmnt display Rom only has 28 legs so guessing i need to find a 32 leg Rom anyone else had any weird Rom issues?

In version 3.05 you had to set ENHANCER to OFF in the onscreen menu for CP und TMNT. I added autodetection in version >3.06.
Just copy https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/raw/master/firmware/latest/EVO128x32_EVO128x16/PIN2DMD.upd to your SD and it should work.

In version 3.05 you had to set ENHANCER to OFF in the onscreen menu for CP und TMNT. I added autodetection in version >3.06.
Just copy https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/raw/master/firmware/latest/EVO128x32_EVO128x16/PIN2DMD.upd to your SD and it should work.

Thanks Lucky, been meaning to tell folks that 3.06 just came out in the last week - easy update if you want to make it.

Pop the upd file on your SD card and reset - should see the message “UPDATE” appear, and reset.

Any problems - recommend try using a blank SD card with only the upd file.

Mine arrived today, big thanks to Mike, for getting everything sorted out, and will sending a gift as suggested before.

I want to bench test mine! Can I hook it up to a pc psu +12v and will it show anything?

Cheers Ronnie

You can hook it up to any 12 power source Ronnie. Use the screw terminals. From memory 1 is +12V and 2 is GND. Check with a multimeter first though, continuity between GND on the 4 pin connector and 2 on the screw terminal should confirm my memory!

You’ll see the PIN2DMD logo.

Hold in one of the 2 buttons while powering up presents the config menu.

Back
Top Bottom