What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you recommend buying a PIN2DMD Display?

• Yes

Votes: 32 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You can hook it up to any 12 power source Ronnie. Use the screw terminals. From memory 1 is +12V and 2 is GND. Check with a multimeter first though, continuity between GND on the 4 pin connector and 2 on the screw terminal should confirm my memory!

You’ll see the PIN2DMD logo.

Hold in one of the 2 buttons while powering up presents the config menu.

Cheers Mike, then I can put it away until spring has sprung!

Installed mine on my Data East Star Wars a couple of nights ago but too busy with extended family matters at the moment to have a proper play.
The LED panel is quite a few millimetre higher than the original DMD so I had to remove the acrylic window to allow the LED panel to protrude into the bezel. Anyone else fitted it to a Data East machine?
After I had assembled it I then realised I had to set it up for a Data East. Doh! Take it apart again.

Installed mine on my Data East Star Wars a couple of nights ago but too busy with extended family matters at the moment to have a proper play.
The LED panel is quite a few millimetre higher than the original DMD so I had to remove the acrylic window to allow the LED panel to protrude into the bezel. Anyone else fitted it to a Data East machine?
After I had assembled it I then realised I had to set it up for a Data East. Doh! Take it apart again.

Andrew - is this fully coloured for Star Wars ? Did you have to buy from someone ? Was thinking of putting in my SW but haven't looked into any of the installation procedures yet. Though don't really like the 'removing window' part . :rolleyes:

IMG_3245.jpg
Managed to hook mine up to STTNG at the weekend. Thanks to Slippifish for making his files available on the site. It looks great (hard to capture in the photo, as has been mentioned). Very easy swap over - only issue I had was the power tap seems to be a bit flaky as it initially wasn't coming on, and only sprung to life as I was giving up and putting the screen panel back into place. Since then its been good as gold, but I may have to firm it up a bit in the future. Thanks again to Madnat!

Andrew - is this fully coloured for Star Wars ? Did you have to buy from someone ? Was thinking of putting in my SW but haven't looked into any of the installation procedures yet. Though don't really like the 'removing window' part . :rolleyes:

Yeah, I bought the files from CB3 on Virtual Pinball Universe but I have noticed a video scene that starts off full colour then goes monochrome (or four colour mode). Also the Tie fighter skill shot at the start of a game misses frames or appears to be a little bit laggy (as my son puts it) which makes it harder to hit so that annoys me a bit. I guess it’s nothing to do with the build but might be a limitation of the design or the colourisation. I need to check with CB3 and the PIN2DMD website.

Anyone installing this on Data East Star Wars seeing a blank display when you try start diagnostics. Audits & Adjustments is fine just diagnostics. Or any Data East machine for that matter. Again, probably just a colorisation issue.

Installed mine today in my Tom. Unfortunately the display was bent in the post with the PCB bending meaning the panels did join in the middle. Managed to break it down, gently straighten the PCB and reassemble. Works great and fantastic value, thanks again

Anyone installing this on Data East Star Wars seeing a blank display when you try start diagnostics. Audits & Adjustments is fine just diagnostics. Or any Data East machine for that matter. Again, probably just a colorisation issue.

I'll be putting one in a DE over the weekend.
Will report back.

Tmnt and Bm all up and running just gone purple for bm and green for tmnt looking awesome thanks once again and thanks jim for the roms works perfect now, and Martin Gopinball for sorting out issues on my pins today!

Attachments

• 15801598230456879695570866257487.jpg
    15801598230456879695570866257487.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 15801598544093542755575439585029.jpg
    15801598544093542755575439585029.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 15801598966492686009424019656890.jpg
    15801598966492686009424019656890.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 40
Morning all.

Following the positive feedback from the group buy, I have been contacted by quite a few members asking about a follow-on group buy.

If there is real interest, and to help gauge full demand - could you please take a few minutes to fill out the questionaire I've pulled together here: https://forms.gle/yiefh69K9mW1HUW36

Hopefully there is similar demand to the last group buy, I'd be happy to do this through my company, and "sell" a DIY kit to members. The main difference in approach is that it would need members to perform final assembly (i.e. attach the panels to the board - 8 or 12 x M3 screws, and plug in a few cables). To be clear - this would be a DIY kit, and clearly isn't intended to be a full retail product (i.e. comes without waranty, support, etc.).

The ideal scenario would be for my company to fund purchase of stock and cover shipping and import costs from China. To keep HMRC and my accountant happy, I'd need to make a small profit. I'd be open to profit share with Lucky's charities and the forum if the scale makes it possible.

As my company is VAT registered it would be sold VAT inclusive - with a VAT receipt (but I'd also be able to claim back the import VAT). Basically I'd like to get to similar price point as before if there is interest, but not do all the assembly tasks as before (I physically wouldn't have the time from next week).

Just gauging interest, and open to feedback.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:
I think there will be some continual demand. Colour DMDs do refresh an aging machine and when line outs start across 20+ year panels.
I think a price point £100-150 is still attractive.

Key also will be getting colouration across a wider range of games.

Registered my interest for 2x DMDs. And i don't even have a DMD game to fit them in. But that will change soon again. Time to rebuild the collection soon.

Great this wagon is rolling again so soon thanks to @MadNat :clap:

If I understand the order form correctly, we can participate in the group buy just for the EVO PCBs separately, I'm thinking to get a couple of the PCBs for possible future games (and spares for existing) then buy in the LED panels and make up the DMDs as/when needed. When I researched this all early last year it was the PCBs that were a pain to get made and also attract decent volume discounts, the LED panels (and other sundries) are readily available and to my knowledge minimal volume discount.

Assuming this is correct Mike is making all options available to us.

Great this wagon is rolling again so soon thanks to @MadNat :clap:

If I understand the order form correctly, we can participate in the group buy just for the EVO PCBs separately, I'm thinking to get a couple of the PCBs for possible future games (and spares for existing) then buy in the LED panels and make up the DMDs as/when needed. When I researched this all early last year it was the PCBs that were a pain to get made and also attract decent volume discounts, the LED panels (and other sundries) are readily available and to my knowledge minimal volume discount.

Assuming this is correct Mike is making all options available to us.

Next version will be less of a group buy, more discounted forum/early orders concept - delivered from stock.

With the survey I'm trying to work out what options people would like, so I can get the right items in stock at a decent price. Next time I'd have to get things like cables etc made up rather than have to make them myself.

Really appreciate the responses so far - keep them coming in! Survey is here: Register your PIN2DMD Interest (one response per person please).

Thanks

ah the old dfeoc - sounds good to me :thumbs:

Does anybody know if the wifi works on these latest EVO boards, I can enable it in the onboard menu :hmm:

The PIN2DMD firmware runs on more than one hardware configuration.

For the EVO series boards (ones that real machines use), WiFi would need an extra board/module fitting. It doesn’t have WiFi fit as standard.

@Lucky1 what benefits does WiFi have for the EVO boards installed in a real pinball?

It doesn’t have WiFi fit as standard
Thanks for confirming, I thought that likely the case. I see the Pin2DMD Editor has an option to connect via wifi so expect the use cases relate to that.

Back
Top Bottom