What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Longer Available PIN2DMD - 3rd round Group Buy Due Sept 5th 2020

Quick update - (most) of the parts have arrived from China. I started assembly last night after work... I'm getting quite good at it now after making more than 150 for you lot!

I've completed and activated 17 so far - hope to get another 20 or so done tonight. So with some good fortune will get the 50 + 4XL out of the door to you all by Friday the latest.

Sorry if some of you got a cancelled shipment notice from UPS - it was my fault, prepping the shipments. They've all been loaded onto UPS system now, so you should get an update when they actually enter the UPS system. Now is a good time to check delivery details.

For those outside mainland UK - I'm shipping to you via Royal Mail and will send you tracking details individually when I have them.

Maybe order yourselves some (small) micro SD cards now, so you are ready to go. Something like this is fine Amazon - 8GB Micro SD Card and get your colour files from the artist (with appropriate payment). I've heard (but never experienced myself) that large SD cards (>32GB) sometimes cannot be read by the display - so don't go large for a few extra quid!

I'd also recommend watching my install video to get ready for the install:

Also readup on how to power your display in your specific machine from the PIN2DMD website: https://pin2dmd.com/hardware/ (specifically section 3. Power Supply).

Any delays - and I'll let you know here.

Cheers
Mike

I thought you'd all like the best chance to get these before the weekend - so hit a bit of a groove last night, managed to complete the build of all displays and enlisted the services of Mrs MadNat to get them packed for you (took her 5 hours from start to finish).

She was also kind enough to drop the parcels at UPS this morning, and post the ones for outside mainland UK. So we've given our best push to get them to you as quickly as possible.

All standard (128x32) displays have power cables (blue is +12V, Grey is Ground) and cable taps. All LED panels on every screen has been tested, with no bad pixels. There were quite a few defective LED panels - which was worrying, but fortunatly had just enough to complete the build. Every panel has been activated and donations sent to @Lucky1 for his charity work.

Please ask any questions on the forum - rather than DM/email. There are many folks on here who are knowledgeable with the product... so you'll get a better and quicker reply that way.

Hope they all arrive safely - and you have fun fitting them and enjoying multicolour pinball.

My next few weekends will most likely be spent building up my brownie point balance - which has taken a big hit.

fantastic effort Mike (and Mrs Mike!).

To think of all those machines out there that are benefitting from your hard work. 👍

Mike,
I am not sure that the mere mortals like me realise the amount of work that you put in to get these displays to us.
I got two from the previous batch and they are brilliant.
I really wanted to say thank you for all the effort in pulling this together. If i remember correctly how this started in the first order, you were only expecting a small number of us to take you upon the offer.
It has now turned into a factory. So thank you for doing it and thank you for continuing to do it.
Dom

Newbie question.
If plugged in will it just work showing the original orange dmd or does it need a file for that?
I have ordered a micro sd card and awaiting a colour file.
The files are '.pal' and '.fsq', i understand i have to rename one of them and put it on the microsd?

You can select the colour (palette) if you don’t have colour files. Quite a range of colours are available. Default is white. Red, Orange, Green, Blue, etc. Each pallets has a gradient similar to the standard DMD.

The colour setting is saved in the DMD’s internal memory, so no SD card needed for that mode.

After you receive your SD card and files - copy the files to your SD card, they must be named pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.fsq. They also must be in the root directory of the Micro SD.

That’s about it.

Mike,
I am not sure that the mere mortals like me realise the amount of work that you put in to get these displays to us.
I got two from the previous batch and they are brilliant.
I really wanted to say thank you for all the effort in pulling this together. If i remember correctly how this started in the first order, you were only expecting a small number of us to take you upon the offer.
It has now turned into a factory. So thank you for doing it and thank you for continuing to do it.
Dom

Cheers Dom - really appreciate it.

You’re right I thought a few more technical members would be interested in it - testament to how good a product it is - for the price.

One of the the project founders (Lucky1) tells me that this forum is by far the biggest user of the displays. [emoji106]

Cheers Mike
Let’s be honest your username is suitable as you must be a bit mad to take all this on !
But thanks for being a bit mad
Cheers
Andy

Massive thanks to Mike (and Mrs Mike) for all of the hard work in putting this together :thumbs: My display's arrived safe and sound this morning, just need to get some pins set back up which I can try them out in :D

Mine arrived earlier. Thank you so much for putting all these together for this community. I can really appreciate the work you put into making this happen.
Now to get them fitted.

CFTBL all set up. I make another rooky mistake, I checked and then double checked but had the wrong cable going to 12v as it was the 3rd pin from the right for power but 2nd pin from the right on the board. Spotted it, switched the pins over, working on first switch on.

Thanks so much for organising this.

I got it installed and learnt a new skill of tapping cables via the YouTube video.
Here's part of my first game enjoying the colour!
(i had to fiddle with settings to get the colour pallete right but only took five minutes)

Thanks so much for organising this.

I got it installed and learnt a new skill of tapping cables via the YouTube video.
Here's part of my first game enjoying the colour!
(i had to fiddle with settings to get the colour pallete right but only took five minutes)

What colour palette did you use, it looks great, would like to replicate what you have done, thanks

What colour palette did you use, it looks great, would like to replicate what you have done, thanks

Do you have a colour file? I have that on a microsd card but the colours were wrong so I went in the config and went through each palette till the colours were right. I can't say I know which one it was.

I also changed a setting to Bally/Williams

It’s worth double checking the ‘RGB Sequence’ of your board if colour doesn’t look right (def needed on the 192x64 XL version).

Go into the menu system (hold btn 1 or btn 2 and tap reset btn - then let go of Btn1/Btn2).

Use Btn1 to scroll to the ‘RGB Sequence’ setting. Adjust with btn2 to select the test pattern to match this sequence:

50684a507be9b6319a667f38774ba3a2.jpg

It shouldn’t be necessary to set the game mode - as it’s picked up automatically from the data samples received from your machine. But no problem setting that.

Last edited:
It’s worth double checking the ‘RGB Sequence’ of your board if colour doesn’t look right (def needed on the 192x64 XL version).

Go into the menu system (hold btn 1 or btn 2 and tap reset btn - then let go of Btn1/Btn2).

Use Btn1 to scroll to the ‘RGB Sequence’ setting. Adjust with btn2 to select the test pattern to match this sequence:

50684a507be9b6319a667f38774ba3a2.jpg

It shouldn’t be necessary to set the game mode - as it’s picked up automatically from the data samples received from your machine. But no problem setting that.

I'd add, don't forget to go to 'Save Confiig', I tried to change it a few settings and nothing happened then i found the save config option!

I fitted two of the four displays I got from Mike (thanks @MadNat )
The Theatre of Magic colouring by Martin (Netzzwerg) is amazing - but the White Water colouring from Endpridukt does not seem to be that good. It is very glitchy. Tried it with the enhancer on and off (not sure what that exactly does). Have tried all the different RGB sequences and I have no doubt the colours are in the right order, but out of all the files I have purchased this is the first one I am not 100% happy with.

Have used - AFM, Baywatch, STTNG, Fish Tales, T2, Totan and a couple of others before and not had issues.

Has anyone else got Wh20 running well? There was another version a few years ago, does anyone use that one?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom