What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pat test a machine using just a meter??

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
I did my PAT testing Cert all of around 10 years ago, so more than rusty, however a question for those that would know more than me :)

Other than a visual check, is there any way of PAT testing a pin just using a Meter? I know that it's not a legal requirement, however always handy to know :D

Paul

I can't see how you could complete a full PAT test without the appropriate equipment as one of the tests involves applying 500VDC. To the best of my knowledge, PAT testers are rather expensive. I'll ask my Dad; he's a retired electrical engineer but qualified as a PAT tester so he could volunteer for Oxfam to test their electricals. He said he'd PAT test my pins when they were ready as I want to take them to public events like the school Christmas Fair.

Ok thicko here. I know it's something to do with electricity safety and I know it's necessary. I could also google it but that's less interesting and less personal.

PAT testing? Explain please for the numpty brigade. Damn it I'm a doctor not a mechanic Jim.

Portable appliance test. Can it be unplugged and moved? It needs a test if being used by others outside the home environment. It is a requirement that all portable equipment owned by businesses to be checked to see if safe. As with all tests it can only be guaranteed to be safe at time of test.

Portable appliance test. Can it be unplugged and moved? It needs a test if being used by others outside the home environment. It is a requirement that all portable equipment owned by businesses to be checked to see if safe. As with all tests it can only be guaranteed to be safe at time of test.
Nearly. It's NOT a requirement, or a legal requirement - Just advisory to do so.

We used to use a nice all singing all dancing Seaward Supernova - cracking bit of kit :)

Until the experts arrive, my understanding is that you could check all external metal points (side rails, lockbar, legs, coindoor) have a path to ground. So you basically test continuity between those points and the earth pin on the plug. Then check the plug is properly fused :)

Nearly. It's NOT a requirement, or a legal requirement - Just advisory to do so.

We used to use a nice all singing all dancing Seaward Supernova - cracking bit of kit :)
paul is correct, had my joinery power tools tested to see exactly what the process was and to see what they did for the money,i will not be having it done again, a complete joke,:mad:

I worked on cranes as a contractor for 5 years and a lot of companies won't let you use any portable equipment that isn't pat tested. I guess that could apply to hotels and such where pinball machines may get setup.

Thanks @Pudsey pinball, however like IT Equiupment i suspect there are only certain tests that can be carried out on IT/Pinball equipment.... Which ??

Thats the one - I knew it was one of them :D OOh soo rusty - Might have to do a refresher so i'm competent again :)

I love the way that we are referring to pinball tables as a portable electrical appliance... "oh I'll just stick my table in my bag and whip it out on the train.. I'm sure no one will mind"...

Ha ha.. love it

I love the way that we are referring to pinball tables as a portable electrical appliance... "oh I'll just stick my table in my bag and whip it out on the train.. I'm sure no one will mind"...

Ha ha.. love it

So you dont take a pin with you when you hit the beach ? Hmmmm ...must just be a South Coast thing :D

I have PAT tested over 1000 items and percentage of failures is about 5%. Visual check first. Plugs with no insulating sleeves on the live and neutral are instant failures. Damaged flex. Incorrect fuse. Just make sure you have an earth from the plug to the side rail of the machine.
Dave

So mainly on a pin, Visual plus Earth continuity test then....

Back
Top Bottom