What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ode to Big Buck Hunter / BBH Owners Club

JAG555

Site Supporter
Having just recently finished my Big Buck Hunter refurb and playing it more, I have to say it is definitely my favourite pinball machine.

I know the theme is not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love it. The game is fast, with relatively short ball times and the code is easy to understand and I love the humour and calls outs too. I also think it’s a good looking game, although I realise beauty is in the eye…….

Anyway, I thought I would see how many people have played it, your thoughts on it and maybe start a little BBH Owners Club to see how many there are (although I know there are not many machines in the UK).

EFB4FC9B-37C3-451E-B748-7553F0D3242A.jpeg

There’s one in an arcade in Hunstanton/ Norfolk, it’s in a real sorry state ☹️
Its been there a few years now, played it when I first found it, when it was ok condition. I really like it, it’s a fun pin, play it often on my vpin

There’s one in an arcade in Hunstanton/ Norfolk, it’s in a real sorry state ☹️
Its been there a few years now, played it when I first found it, when it was ok condition. I really like it, it’s a fun pin, play it often on my vpin

I have seen a couple of location, I think Brew Dog at Tower Hill had one.

It’s a shame it’s in a bad way, it is also an easy pin to work on (well, I thought so anyway)

Struggled to sell one at 2500.

Short and brutal games. Just wasn’t that fun for people to play. When friends came over they would play two games and then look for something more rewarding.
Not the worst game but just not that enjoyable for me.

Pretty much the same as John, I owned one and didn't particularly enjoy the brutally short ball times and the ridiculous rules in MB (Stage 4: Shoot the Buck 25 times!!).
As soon as I completed Open Season, it was on its way.
Screenshot_20220919-070527_Samsung Internet.jpg
Was looking at what I had rated games in the past, BBH just misses the top 100 in my ratings.

Last edited:
Struggled to sell one at 2500.

Short and brutal games. Just wasn’t that fun for people to play. When friends came over they would play two games and then look for something more rewarding.
Not the worst game but just not that enjoyable for me.
Fair enough and each to their own. I quite like the short ball times, as do my friends, but not for everyone.

Pretty much the same as John, I owned one and didn't particularly enjoy the brutally short ball times and the ridiculous rules in MB (Stage 4: Shoot the Buck 25 times!!).
As down as I completed Open Season, it was on its way.
View attachment 181348
Was looking at what I had rated games in the past, BBH just misses the top 100 in my ratings.

Yeah, that bit of the code is just stupid and it’s a shame it wasn't further refined.

I saw a video that said around the time of the release of this game (and others around the same time), Stern nearly went out of business so that is why the toys are stripped back and the code is relatively simple, but you compare to Stern Pro now and it doesn’t look stripped back at all.

I personally think this game is a hidden gem.

Fair enough and each to their own. I quite like the short ball times, as do my friends, but not for everyone.
Short ball times on their own aren't a problem, I love Flash Gordon and also games of that era.
The problem (imho) is having short ball times coupled with such a long rule set, meaning you rarely get to see things later in the game.

The 4 bird MBs is another blocker on the route to OS. Whereas the moose badge is simple to get to.

It's always going to be one of the less appreciated, cheaper Stern DMDs (like WPT or 24), but there's enough going on in it to have fun with .

Short ball times on their own aren't a problem, I love Flash Gordon and also games of that era.
The problem (imho) is having short ball times coupled with such a long rule set, meaning you rarely get to see things later in the game.

The 4 bird MBs is another blocker on the route to OS. Whereas the moose badge is simple to get to.

It's always going to be one of the less appreciated, cheaper Stern DMDs (like WPT or 24), but there's enough going on in it to have fun with .

Yeah, I think you have to focus on highest score in the game, rather than trying to complete the game.

Must give it a go on my VPin. I'm fine with seeing humans killed in fiction like films, TV, video games and Pinball, but when it comes to animals it's a different story.

🥴 This is probably not the game for you then 🦌

I enjoyed this machine love the audio and samples. The little moving Buck mech was a little to noisy for me.

Yeh, it is not quiet, but mine is not that bad.

Does anyone else own one at home or are they all out on location?

I bought Wayne’s. Was great fun for a while but moved it on after a few months as the code is poor and feels unfinished. Could be a great game with a code update but never gonna happen.

Played it at the Brew Dog in SHeperds Bush and expected it to be rubbish but actuallly rather liked it.

Only ever seen the Pro, though. Never had a chance to play a BBH Premium which had Gary Stern as one of the playfield toys, I gather.

I’ve got one in storage to be completely shopped by Chris b at some point. Aim is to get it done before Easter and bring to pinfest next year
Sounds great, post some pictures on here when it’s done.

I was just having a read on Pinside and apparently there were only 250 Big Buck Hunter machines made. This was very surprising, as it makes it rather than any modern LE! I wonder how many made it to the UK? I think I know of about 5.

I was also surprised about the high price of this machine in the US!

I have been playing this quite a bit over the last week and I have to say, again, I love it!

Back
Top Bottom