What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O/T NES to HDTV screen flicker help

Spandangler

Site Supporter
Hi group
I have just bought an old NES as a moving in present for my bro. So i thought I'd check it out before I gave it to him. It works great on my CRT tv on RF and video cable . Likewise on my Toshiba LCD TV (about 9 years old and NOT HD)
However on my SAMSUNG1080p HDTV the image flickers and has a static hum. On both rf and video. I've tried video plugged straight in to the inputs and through a scart adaptor. I've tried putting my tv on game mode and fiddling with a few random settings but I can't cure it .

So I've researched forums on google, most of which recommend re seating the cart etc .. Which I know is fine as it works on my other tvs. Or suggest using video cable as opposed to rf. Tried that.

Does anyone know of a solution. Or had a similar experience. Is it just tough luck as tech has moved on?

I think my bro has a new samsung smart HDTV so guessing it will be the same on his.

Help me obi wan kenobis you're my only hope.

Gaz

On the rf input do you have a selector switch on it ? Some do some don't, if so give it a few slides and spray it with some lynx deodorant ( not dry anti persp ) just normal while sliding it That can clear a bit of crud on the switch,

Just my tuppence worth ... But the video output / input should work 90% but nothing 10+ years old works great with 'new' tech that I have tried even my sons leappad is fuzzy to a degree on our screens ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mate. Mine doesn't have the slider.
Like I say it works fine on my non hd LCD TV and CRT monitor. Just wondered if there's something I can adjust on the tv to fine tune it almost.
Frustrating!!

Gaz I thinks it's purely down to the flicker rate / htz rate, the slider on most ( silver metal box on tv input ) games machines like the saga's and nintendos slide between 50 & 60 but normally the older stuff just can't cut it with the new 80 htz HDTV's, all terrestrial signals now are digital where as the old games consoles were analog. So there is a lack of backward combatability to work correctly, is there a signal booster / enumerator out there that might 'up' the signal a bit ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Gaz. Yes I had exactly the same problem. I got the games running OK(ish) on my samsung using the yellow video cable plugged in but the refresh speed caused a few lines up and down the screen. The RF cable is a no go for new Telly's.For some reason my n64 runs pretty well but snes, nes, mega drive and master system all look pretty bad. CRT for 90's consoles all the way!. Also if I recall setting the screen format to 4:3 instead of leaving it stretched to fit, helps a bit with the lines going up and down.

Hi mate
I managed to sort this issue. God knows how I discovered this but it works.

Whe using the rf cable a manual menu option appears which doesn't appear when using the video lead (obviously it can detect the video lead and presumes you won't need the option)

Basically go in to manual, select colour, then change it from auto to PAL. This still doesn't cure the jitteriness. Scroll down to NTSC, then on to the other option (can't remember what it's called!) and back to PAL.
Do this a couple if times and eventually when you scroll back to the PAL option it works!!!!
Go figure.
Unfortunately the pic and sound is not as good on rf but it works fine. And also saves having a CRT set up in the living room.

It took me several days to figure it out and was more by luck than judgment that's for sure.

Ah thanks for that Gaz. Of all the years I have spent on retro gaming and trawling through forums and websites that suggestion has never come up. Will need to give it a try next week when I'm off work! Sounds fiddly but worth it. I can just imagine 40" super probotector and a 1.5l bottle of sainsburies economy bourbon comin on!!!!

Can I just ask did u get this working with ur NES or something else?

Back
Top Bottom