What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not jumping to unread post in thread

BigIan

Registered
Alias
ZIG
When I click on a thread that has unread posts, it no longer seems to jump to the latest unread posts. It used to do this fine but hasn’t been doing it for at least the last handful of months. It might work every now and then but mostly doesn’t. Happens on ipad, MacBook and a various pcs (laptops with win 7 and win 10)

I know it’s a bit of a first world problem but it was nice when it worked. I nearly alway access the site via the new posts button after signing in (usually stay signed it but multiple devices means some have logged out)

Usually access via iPad or win10 laptop if that helps at all. But again hardly the end of the world if I have to scroll a bit to find the new posts

Cheers
Ian

Seems to work ok here... Can anyone else confirm if they are having the same issue please?

I find it doesnt work when I click on the post link (via the What's New menu) so I'm now in the habit of clicking the latest reply datetime below that which works. Android.

Typically it seemed to be working again last night.

Then today I clicked on the ‘new post’ link (below home) then on the ‘today I worked on thread’ it jumped to the top of page 9 (post 241) even though I had previously read up to post 261 last night.

This was on the same device (iPad) and I don’t think I had been on forum on my MacBook although I was doing some remote work on my virtual pin from it so might possibly have but don’t think so...

I am a saddo that reads (or at least clicks on) every unread thread (from oldest to newest) so effectively I’m up to date with every thread each time I visit the site, which is very often. During down time in work and then in front of tv when home. Some times I may access site and only be searching for something or having a quick look so don’t clear the unread posts down but usually do..

Told you I was a saddo

I find it doesnt work when I click on the post link (via the What's New menu) so I'm now in the habit of clicking the latest reply datetime below that which works. Android.

Can you explain that in more detail ? I don’t follow your process, or is this a tapatalk thing?

So admittedly I'm not sure of what the functionality is supposed to do (ie, if its a thread you haven't visited before, should it start at the top? If it s a thread you have, should it jump to the unread posts?) But this is what I do:

"Whats New" menu > Click on Thread Title > Thread starts at the top

Testing that now, it seems as though if its a thread I haven't visited before, it does start at the top. Visited threads seem to scroll down to the new posts (this is on a MBP now, whereas usually I'm on an android phone). If that is what is does everytime, I think that would make sense from a readers perspective.

However what I was explaining before was that I generally jump to the latest replies anyway, and then go backwards for context if I need to. To do that I now tend to do:

"Whats New" menu > Click on 'Reply' time (ie: 2 minutes ago) > Thread starts at latest comment

I suppose it all depends on what the actual functionality is supposed to do, vs what the user expectation is, vs whether it is actually doing what it is supposed to (or not) :hmm:

Programmers eh who needs em.

Back
Top Bottom