What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nostalgia or Evolution..... You decide..

pintableuser

Registered
5Years
Pinball Nostalgia or Pinball Evolution

We have enjoyed .........Ramps. Rails, magnets, pop-ups, trap-doors, divertors, roll-overs, mini-playfields, spinning discs/toys, phantom flippers, wire or helix operated moving targets, jump ramps, .. . ... Any new ideas? or have the 90's pins sadly diluted future design possibilities to the detriment of pinball evolution?.

What favorite or inventive feature (s) would you like to see included on a new play-field?

Within realistic cost restraints.;)

I'd like to see Pin2k revisited with a decent game & ruleset...

Have you seen the Dude on Pinside that is making the ghost pirate ship theme for pin2k? Looks pretty cool so far.

I do think that pinball has probably peaked to be honest. And I think it peaked in the early to mid 90's. I can't really think of anything they could stick on a playfield now that has not already been done. What else can you physically do with the ball really?

It's all about adding LCD screens to the playfield and backbox etc now. But that is not really all that exciting for me. If I wanted to play a video game, I would go and play a video game.

woah.. no not seen that, but have just looked :) looking good - looking forward to that now :) Cheers for the heads up Mr FS :)

Wizard Blocks
i saw a video of that the other day, thought the playfield insert layout looked really good. Not so sure about the 90's pseudo-3D graphics from the screen though. REminded me of Donkey Kong Country on the Super Nintendo. And the local Bowling alley which still uses CRT monitors and cheesy animations for Strikes, spares, splits etc...

Back to the subject;

Strangely, as a lover of the retro 90's machines, i'm really interested in what PL can do working with JJP's platform and no licensee. I'm still playing catch-up on all this stuff, but it seems that the last 10yrs have been a bit creatively stifled, because most Pinball stuff that you can do with a table, steel balls and gravity have been done already, really well too. Refinements and small evolutionary steps have become the norm. JJP's platform seems to have some real potential, but is also trying hard to remain a Pinball machine with an updated score board.

Wikipedia states:

Pinball is a type of arcade game, usually coin-operated, in which points are scored by a player manipulating one or more steel balls on a play field inside a glass-covered cabinet called a pinball machine. The primary objective of the game is to score as many points as possible. Points are earned when the ball strikes different targets on the play field. A drain is situated at the bottom of the play field, protected by player-controlled plastic bats called flippers. A game ends after all the balls fall into the drain. Secondary objectives are to maximize the time spent playing (by earning "extra balls" and keeping the ball in play as long as possible) and to earn bonus games (known as "replays").

So if Pinball as we know changes into something more than this what will it become? Pinball-vision? iPin-TV? #

Downloadable content, however annoying it might be in videogames, might be on the cards.

Internet-enabled scoreboards and updates should be the norm nowadays - other coin operated machines use it. Posting scores to Facebook even. Maybe multi player concepts should be further explored? So the high score isn't necessarily the main aim anymore.

There's some real potential with that JJP machine, but it has to work seamlessly with the play-field and add to the game, not distract from it.

Dunno. Rambling now.

Competitive or multi play.

Whether it's from 2 machines connected by a cable (like nba fast break) or via a network to another location etc

Collaborative multi play could be interesting with players achieving stuff together, possibly with modes only for multi play but machine still playable as a single player. Once player one locks a ball player two has 30 seconds to lock his or whatever you get the idea.

Competitive, whoever gets the mode first is awarded it and it's locked out for the other player.

Etc etc.

Collaborative multi play could be interesting with players achieving stuff together, possibly with modes only for multi play but machine still playable as a single player. Once player one locks a ball player two has 30 seconds to lock his or whatever you get the idea.
Etc etc.

That would actually be pretty awesome.

I think it was some years back that Jim at mypinballs developed an on line link for real time competitions for your Revenge from Mars? I don't know how far it went as they were not many RFMs in private hands. It would be a fantastic development as it would be cool to link your actual pin (not virtual) and play with people with a similar chosen set-up pin throughout the internet. Daily,Weekly local, or international competitions and challenges chosen at your convenience..... ........

There was some wishful thinking with the Hobbit that if the ball went into an under playfield it could be projected onto the backbox and different targets added to the screen. Kind of like an updated RFM. Don't know if there is anything to base this on though.

Alternatively some kind of system where items raise out of the playfield a bit like the bumper on CV but to build ramps to allow other sections of the playfield to be reached could be cool.

Whether it's from 2 machines connected by a cable (like nba fast break) or via a network to another location etc

Competitive, whoever gets the mode first is awarded it and it's locked out for the other player.

Etc etc.

Mark (from NBA tournament fame) talks alot about trying to get new machines to include competitive/collaborative link up options, and I agree that it is an excellent idea for a way to make pinball even more fun. Just look at how much better NBA is when it is linked up!

I think the option at the start of the game to chose if you want to play competitive or co-operative (as you can with some videogames) would be an even better way to go

Mark (from NBA tournament fame) talks alot about trying to get new machines to include competitive/collaborative link up options, and I agree that it is an excellent idea for a way to make pinball even more fun. Just look at how much better NBA is when it is linked up!

I think the option at the start of the game to chose if you want to play competitive or co-operative (as you can with some videogames) would be an even better way to go

Wasn't jjp on about doing that?

I would say that the 90's pins were in reality just 80's pins with better software and more features crammed in per machine. I guess you could add in toys, but they add little of machines other than from the visual angle.

One feature I'd like to see more of is deformable/changeable play fields. Using diverters, magnets, things that go up and down (aka dr who), etc, much more complex playfields could be designed where shots not only have multiple potential rules but also balls directions.

You could have the playfields cramed with Alsorts of gadgets. Ramps that raise out of the pf to make different shots, random activated trap doors that the ball drops down and goes back to the trough so you loose a ball

You could have the playfields cramed with Alsorts of gadgets. Ramps that raise out of the pf to make different shots, random activated trap doors that the ball drops down and goes back to the trough so you loose a ball

Those sorts of things seem to have disappeared over the years (plenty of 1980's pins with up/down ramps, moving playfield pieces etc - so they had the technology ages ago)

I guess it's all about the money saving now, I expect moving playfield parts are fairly expensive to develop

.... it's difficult to come up with new ideas to make something that most consider almost perfect without incurring the criticism and scrutiny of the market. Even when you ask your target market what they want the input is not always forthcoming or practical.
New generations will open up new markets for old products and pinball is experiencing just that. Sometimes just putting a new label on the box is enough to keep the coin coming in.

Pinball Nostalgia or Pinball Evolution

We have enjoyed .........Ramps. Rails, magnets, pop-ups, trap-doors, divertors, roll-overs, mini-playfields, spinning discs/toys, phantom flippers, wire or helix operated moving targets, jump ramps, .. . ... Any new ideas? or have the 90's pins sadly diluted future design possibilities to the detriment of pinball evolution?.

What favorite or inventive feature (s) would you like to see included on a new play-field?

Within realistic cost restraints.;)

Music like TXSector,Save lane like TXSector,drop target multiplyer in front of ramp like TXSector,ball lane tranfer like TXSector......

Etc etc.
like this perhaps ?
image-2.jpg

Wonder how many cars could fit Total Recal in? Not many. And what about the weight of the bloody thing.
Defo a few man lift.

Totall recall could have had amazing call outs - "Get your ass to Mars!", "Two veeeeeks", "Baby, makes me wish I had a third hand" :)

Back
Top Bottom