What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Reflective/Non Glare Glass for Pinballs

Steve

Registered
Does anybody know if this is available in the UK?

Pinball Decals has it, but it seems mad to buy from him when the glass originate in Germany.

Long thread on the German pinball site, but no reference to any UK suppliers/buyers. I found this on Youtube posted by the guy selling it:

Anybody bought it, and if so is it worth it? Anyone up for a group purchase?

I'd be up for a few sheets, sure.

Some folk on the uk pin group have had some from a guy called Roman Kunovic (iirc) who brought some to a few shows a couple years back. From the pics, it looked fantastic.

I looked into other means and there is an adhesive film available that shops use to prevent reflections in their windows so the products they sell can be seen more clearly. Still yet to chase it up, but could be a cheaper alternative to using a full sheet of expensive glass.

It is amazing stuff. Don't know anywhere in the UK that sells it. Main problem is that when you get it you want it for all your games - so I hear
smile-1.png

I've sent Roman an email to request prices etc., and if he offers any discount for several sheets. Maybe we can get a small order together.

I would love to have it in all my machines but at over £100 a sheet its pretty expensive stuff.

Great stuff just a shame its a little expensive. I suppose the more you buy the cheaper it would be so maybe a group buy is the way to go.

Steve' date=' post: 1678314 said:
I've sent Roman an email to request prices etc., and if he offers any discount for several sheets. Maybe we can get a small order together.

No discount, it's around €140 for standard and + €20 for widebody (from memory), there is only Roman who supplies it (he supplies pinball decals). I am getting some off him at some point, but he wont ship it unless it's a large quantity (from memory 100 sheets)

I can't see me stretching to 100 sheets! If thats the case I could arrange a collection through work or even nip over there and collect them myself. (Already been over there 3 times this year picking up pins)!

Check out the tests that Roman did on the glass.

Don't forget this stuff is over £100 a sheet. :eek:

What a waste.:confused:

mufcmufc' date=' post: 1678353 said:
No discount, it's around €140 for standard and + €20 for widebody (from memory), there is only Roman who supplies it (he supplies pinball decals). I am getting some off him at some point, but he wont ship it unless it's a large quantity (from memory 100 sheets)

Where is he based? might be worth it and cheaper to pick some up if it's a group buy....

I'll be interested in a sheet of this glass if it helps get the numbers up....keep me posted please, it looks fantastic!

I have seen some at a show and it was very impressive.

A cheaper alternative to kill some glare is some of this stuff

http://www.pinballpal.com/dmd/

A machine in the right lighting - dim ambient, no overheads - would have little glare. Not gonna be as good as the non glare glass but still.

Or these do what that say, kill the dmd glare.

http://wrongcrowdproductions.com/glareGuard.htm

Of course you can make yr own cheap one out of cardboard
wink-1.png

BigIan' date=' post: 1678604 said:
That seems to cause glare on the DMD :confused:

Ahhh ...... well obseved but no
wink-1.png
what you are seeing there is the fact that when I took that picture -ages ago - the red acetate filter I had fitted in front of the DMD (to make the orange more red looking) had come unstuck and slipped out of position
rolleyes-1.gif

Voila - GrizZ's Patented 'Cheap As Chips And Looks It' DMD Glare Guard ....

Ive - get them on ebay quick
biggrin-1.png
Early retirement may not be far off
wink-1.png

the red acetate filter I had fitted in front of the DMD (to make the orange more red looking)

Interesting......did you just do this to Dirty Harry or any of your other pins? Have you tried any other colours?

Interesting......did you just do this to Dirty Harry or any of your other pins? Have you tried any other colours?

I've used the red on others that I felt it suited ...from memory Tales From The Crypt, Swords of Fury, maybe Black Rose.

Red works best as its close to the original orange - obviously if you put say blue on there you wont get a blue display, you'll just get a diff darker shade of orange.

You can buy it cheap on ebay, its the stuff used on photographic/theatre lights etc.

Was looking for that stuff to replace the red filter behind the Funhouse lampshade...nice!

wayne g' date=' post: 1678614 said:
sorry to be thick but does that acetate lower the amount of DMD glare on the glass as well as filter the colour if the DMD?

:oops:

Yes I suppose it will. But you will still get the reflection.

Roman has come back with a price:

149 euros for the standard width

161 euros for the widebody

Minimum order is 10 sheets, no discounts regardless of quantity.

I've asked him to quote on supplying and shipping 8 standard sheets and 2 widebody and he's coming back to me early next week. Another alternative is to meet him at the Dutch Open and collect, which I may have to do if the shipping is too expensive.

the thing with the non-glare glass is that you get reflection off of the DMD. the lines of polarity run in the same direction.
sad-1.png
you just lose the glare from the surrounding lights. so even with the glass, you still need a physical barrier to cancel out the DMD.

bartron' date=' post: 1678631 said:
the thing with the non-glare glass is that you get reflection off of the DMD. the lines of polarity run in the same direction.
sad-1.png
you just lose the glare from the surrounding lights. so even with the glass, you still need a physical barrier to cancel out the DMD.

Like I said, taking orders now for my home made, 100% recyclable (always thinking about mother earth and the ickle creatures) Glare Guard !
biggrin-1.png

bartron' date=' post: 1678632 said:
I use a polarising film with a coloured gel on my pins, apart from JD which has Romans' glass.

flame red gel for red and an HMI to tungsten

http://www.sabre-international.com/...28658/sfa.view/rp.1/lighting_filter_gels.html

http://www.sabre-international.com/...29513/sfa.view/rp.1/lighting_filter_gels.html

Do you mean that for turning an orange DMD into a red DMD that you use both of those filters together?

If so, does the order of them matter? I'm not really clear on what the HMI to Tungsten filter is doing...

the HMI filter cuts down the overly bright orange from the DMD,

for turning the dmd red, just use the red gel.

161 euros for the widebody..

blimos.I only paid 100 for mine

Back
Top Bottom