What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No longer lurking

nes4life

Site Supporter
Hi all,

Already introduced myself on the other thread, but after a great time at Medway Pinball I've decided to get more involved in pinball generally. Am a long-time member of UKVac, currently have 11 arcade machines, and did actually own a pinball machine once for about an hour (was a Black Pyramid that I got as part of a larger collection of arcade machines and subsequently gave it to a friend). I also bought an arcade machine from this very forum when I first joined (a Pac-Man which I lovingly refer to as 'Hack-Man' due to an op gauging out the sides to convert it to Golden Tee).

Anyway, looking forward to properly starting my pin journey. I'll be keeping a keen eye out for a LotR & / or Avatar pin (the first I want to get). But just knowing more about the different variants and mods would be a good initial step. I know there are pitfalls in buying anything you're unfamiliar with so am doing my best to learn. Some great intro threads about.

Cheers,
Phill

Hello, Phill,

With the era of those games, there's the potential minefield of the graded versions originally sold (Vault if there was one, >LE >Premium >Pro, if I understand it right), and how a machine may have been altered/upgraded since. I don't think we're generally 'originality fiends', though. Looking again, it seems that Lotr pre-dated the multi-version pricing model, but was dragged into it later (or lotr) on.

Given your picture, I thought you might've been interested in the two Mario pins made by Gottlieb in the 90's; but then I remembered what they're like, so probably not.

Last edited:
This came as a standard version (pro) or Limited Edition (LE). I think both are very similar/ almost identical in terms of the playfield and mechs- mainly cosmetic things added to the LE- chrome side rails etc. Pro price from £3500 ish to £4k I’d say depending on condition. LE- ? I quite like Avatar but others say it’s too stripped out- one ramp and made at a time when Stern were tightening their belts

Thanks all!
Looking again, it seems that Lotr pre-dated the multi-version pricing model, but was dragged into it later (or lotr) on.
Thanks @Jay Walker. I'll be sure to look at the different versions they created including any later additions. I'm betting there's a ton of mods for this pin too.

Given your picture, I thought you might've been interested in the two Mario pins made by Gottlieb in the 90's; but then I remembered what they're like, so probably not.
I played on at least one of the Mario pins when I was in my mid teens. Seemed fun but I don't remember being blown away by it; but then again I wasn't into any form of pins or arcades then. I've already got a Playchoice-10, and buckets of NES games, so have thoroughly scratched the Nintendo itch. Never say never though.

Excellent, another Kent pinhead. Welcome!
Thanks @SilkySox . I'll be making more regular visits to Medway Pinball in due course.

This came as a standard version (pro) or Limited Edition (LE). I think both are very similar/ almost identical in terms of the playfield and mechs- mainly cosmetic things added to the LE- chrome side rails etc. Pro price from £3500 ish to £4k I’d say depending on condition. LE- ? I quite like Avatar but others say it’s too stripped out- one ramp and made at a time when Stern were tightening their belts
That's interesting to know @SteadyP. I'll put some more research into what the difference is. I've played the standard version at Medway Pinball and really enjoyed it. My daughter is a big fan of the series, so that's driving this really.

hi @nes4life
I have an AVATAR LE that I would move on if of any intrest to you ?
Thanks @Winnie. I'll take a look at your thread. I need more time to understand the differences in the versions and comprehend the rarity of the LE version. I'm also moving house at the moment (still in Kent), so there's that all going on, but am making advanced plans on buying the pins in time for my 40th at end of next year. I definitely want my first pins to be right so I'm not rushing into this. If it's still around when i'm a little more serious about getting them, have the arcade ready to house them, and have a little more knowledge, then I'll be in contact. I'm guessing the price of an LE might mean that I get my 2nd pin a little later than planned 😆

I'm totally open to more suggestions from anyone about the versions I should buy, why and what to look out for.

I played on at least one of the Mario pins when I was in my mid teens. Seemed fun but I don't remember being blown away by it; but then again I wasn't into any form of pins or arcades then.

It was most likely the 'normal' Super Mario - Mushroom World was smaller, and could have shorter legs attached for smaller children to play it without standing on something. There probably weren't many MW's even brought into Britain.

Mushroom World looks really odd; yes likely I played the other one.

Looks like I'll be moving in the next month or so, and the new place has a garage I'm going to convert into an arcade & office. I've already picked out the spot for the pin I don't yet have 😆

2nd visit to Medway Pinball:
- Spiderman is a pretty good pin; lots of things going on but seems relatively clear as to what you have to do.
- Not a fan of the Jetsons; perhaps I need to give it more time. Just didn't feel like I was achieving anything.
- Double-standards I guess though as I really like Avatar despite it seeming to be a more basic pin. 1 ramp, the AMP, the matrix-link bed, and plenty of open playfield. I think the theme probably is doing the heavy lifting.
- Lotr is still by far my favorite. Lots of ramps and seems to have some depth (well to my noob eyes anyway). Managed to get the fellowship together and then didn't really know what to do next. Will study!

Back
Top Bottom