What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightmare on elm street

mrsyfy

Registered
Having problems with the save claw coil, keeps blowing fuses. Boards have been tested and repaired. coil has been replaced, but keeps blowing the fuse. 80262

no, I have not done any earthing mods thanks for the info. But it just seem kind of odd that was the only coil blowing fuses.
I will be working on those mods tonight. I thought it might of been a smart switch problem. But a bad ground could do it too.
Thanks again, I will let you know how it goes.

Completed earthing mod, board was pretty well cooked. How ever still blowing fuse 31 when claw button pressed during game play.

its a brand new coil a 19300, this is what is call out by the manual for it. I also wired it up according to the manual. its also the same coil that the kick save uses. They are both installed the same way when I looked at the original. But should the claw save coil be turned around the opposite way? so its pulling the plunger instead of pushing.

Attachments

• claw save coil.jpg
    claw save coil.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 4
I didn't think that coils have a polarity, they magnetise and the effected plunger moves. Also, if it had polarity, this wouldn't cook the fuse very quickly.

It sounds like you know what you are doing as you stated board repair, but have you first off pulled the play field connector for this coil, then run a coil test and seen if the fuse pops? This will indicate if the issue is on board or on play field.

Earthing issues with this machine??
I remember playing this game in a local pub and if you touched front lockdown and the radiator besides the machine you got an electronic tingle....

You have to replace both the coil and drive transistor at the same time before powering up, otherwise one will blow the other in a continuous cycle.

It is also worth checking if there is another coil in the same circuit as sometimes gottliebs have two driven by the same drive transistor.

I didn't think that coils have a polarity, they magnetise and the effected plunger moves. Also, if it had polarity, this wouldn't cook the fuse very quickly.

It sounds like you know what you are doing as you stated board repair, but have you first off pulled the play field connector for this coil, then run a coil test and seen if the fuse pops? This will indicate if the issue is on board or on play field.

did find out the coil was on back words, it was pushing instead of pulling. Now just waiting on drive transistors to come in.

As you seen from the video, reversing the drection of the coil rod changes which way it will travel through the coil. This is what I was talking about. When I reversed the direction of my coil the claw now works as it should with on problems.

Back
Top Bottom