What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Night Moves - System 80B Nightmare

Right... Exciting update!

Firstly, the sound does work in the cab, if I wait a few seconds and then press the manual reset button on the sound board (works fine on the test bench so must be an issue with the reset kicking in before the power has stabilised) I am going to experiment with delaying the reset pulse on the sound board.

Secondly, the display does in fact work, the fault lies with the CPU board (must be the display RIOT as everything else has been replaced and tested) Massive thanks to @myPinballs for lending me a working CPU board, and thanks to everyone else who offered to help

nm.jpg

BTW It is really good fun to play!

Love me some Night Moves, really want one of these at some point in the future :)

Maybe the best of all cocktail table pins? Certainly has good fast gameplay and some funky disco tunes :)

I've always wanted one of those Game Plan ones (like Foxy Lady as they look really cool) but when I saw a video of one for the first time, I was so disappointed. The only sound they make is "beep" and that's just not good enough for a long term keeper

Well, I thought it would be cool to own a tabletop pinball machine, and I was wrong.

I bought it as working, but has intermittent sound and needs a display.

So firstly, the "working" part :-

You can coin it up and start a game, all coils, lamps and flashes seem to work fine.

If you press the flipper button firmly then it works fine, as soon as you tap a flipper button quickly (like when you get a little spark on the flipper button) then the game resets

1) Disconnected the reset board - still the same

2) .......

The system 80 design is a nightmare!

So after many hours of work, the only thing I have made any difference to is that I have a sound board that will work fine on the bench, and technically I have fixed all the crappy ground and power problems that Gotlieb are plagued with, but it didn't make any real difference.

Any ideas on the resets?

Hello lukewells, and others,

As you and other people mention , somthing is wrong with the system 80B design, and especially with the reset circuit of the CPU board .

There 's a major design flaw on the CPU board what can be solved very easy, very quick, and very inexpensive.
Anyway, it is a wonder that these boards are working. It's just luck.

Let me explain the easy to solve problem :

The RESET line ( pin 40 ) of the 6502 processor and the 6532 RIOT's have to be laid to Vcc ( +5V ) with a resistor of 1 Kohm.
In the Gottlieb 80B system there's NO RESISTOR at all. So your CPU can be continously in RESET mode or not, depending on the wheater, humidity, disturbance... or the enviroment...you 'll never know.

The easyest way to solve this problem is to solder a 1 Kohm resistor on TC1 between pin 7 ( Vcc or +5V ) and pin 17 ( reset low line )

I hope this very important message reaches some people and can save them a lot of time and a lot of money.....

Kind regards,

old 6502expert

As you and other people mention , somthing is wrong with the system 80B design, and especially with the reset circuit of the CPU board .

There 's a major design flaw on the CPU board what can be solved very easy, very quick, and very inexpensive.

The RESET line ( pin 40 ) of the 6502 processor and the 6532 RIOT's have to be laid to Vcc ( +5V ) with a resistor of 1 Kohm.
In the Gottlieb 80B system there's NO RESISTOR at all. So your CPU can be continously in RESET mode or not, depending on the wheater, humidity, disturbance... or the enviroment...you 'll never know.

The easyest way to solve this problem is to solder a 1 Kohm resistor on TC1 between pin 7 ( Vcc or +5V ) and pin 17 ( reset low line )

I hope this very important message reaches some people and can save them a lot of time and a lot of money.....

Kind regards,

old 6502expert
Interesting.

My Night Moves works perfectly (touch wood!) - and prior to me in the Swavesey White Horse, where it performed solidly for years.

Good info though.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Kind regards,

old 6502expert

Any chance you can paste a picture of this please?

Any chance you can paste a picture of this please?
Arv, here's your picture :
It is that simple, an extra 1Kohm resistor in between pin 7 ( lefthandside of 2K2 resistor ) and pin 17 ( lower part of diode CR1 ) on socket A24-P2 ( TC1 )
gottlieb80Breset.JPG

Plenty of sys80B owners on here that will benefit from this news.
@Poibug , @JMP , @myPinballs .

I hope you can reach them ( on time )
I think it is the best modification you can start with , if you have system 80B with vague problems, before spending a lot of money and work on desoldering connections. It takes you only five minutes to put the resistor.
Sure battery acid gives also mayor problems, but these battery acid problems are a lot bigger with Bally WPC system CPU because of the position of the battery.

On most Rockwell ( original brand ) or similar 6502 CPU datasheets you don't find anything about this resistor for the RESET ( LOW ) line.
The Processor Gottlieb uses is NOT from Rockwell but from another brand. ( maybe the original Rockwell had the resistor build in inside. )

But when I was at high school in the early microprocessor days, we were learned to keep each open input line on a fixed voltage by means of a resistor to Vcc or to Ground. Just to avoid problems that depend on the weather or the environment conditions...

kind regards
6502expert

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom