What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice Free Ad for Home Leisure

My old NGG suddenly ended up with a price tag £1700 higher than what I sold it for (ans not to them directly)

They put £2,500 worth of LEDs into the TZ I sold them! Either that, or they marked it up slightly

Not bitter though. Good luck to them.

Not sure what they are winge'in at their website is hosted by a .au provider.

Makes no difference what their broadband speed is, methinks they know someone at the daily mail.

Not sure what they are winge'in at their website is hosted by a .au provider.

Makes no difference what their broadband speed is, methinks they know someone at the daily mail.

So the speed of their website will be fine for other people to access, but very slow for then to access themselves from their offices (e.g. To look at whilst customer is on the phone to discuss details or upload new images info etc.).

We've got similar issues where we are in Exeter, where there is no superfast on most of the trading estate. Doesn't prevent business but can caused a lot if wasted time and be a barrier on occasion

Why would you not have a local copy on your intranet?

A company of that size is perhaps unlikely to have it's own intranet? Even if it did and it's a copy it needs to kept up to date and mirror the main site ( so data has to keep being transferred back and forward so they have the same).

The comments in the article also refer to other examples where slow data transfer and line speed cause issues - a common problem where broadband speeds are low.

Syncing the deltas overnight with rsync would sort that problem out toot sweet.

I've no knowledge of Home Leisure's Business or IT set-up, so I'm not going to start proffering solutions to their IT and communication challenges.

In my experience any business that needs 'good' Broadband access (not necessarily 'Superfast') is going to have their day to day running affected (and ultimately profitability and competitiveness) if they can only obtain the sorts of speeds they are being quoted at their location. If you are then quoted best part of £20K to have the problem sorted (particularly when originally given a price closer to £4K) then there is potential for further big downsides. That's an awful lot of pinballs and home leisure products you have to sell to give the net profit (after all the other overheads) to cover the cost.

If you don't think that the broadband speed available to a business makes any difference to how that business can operate (and not just website access) then we'll have to agree to disagree:)

I'm obviously in a very 'disagreeable' mood today :);), but I'd disagree with saying TV would never give such a blatant advert.

Through the local business trading organisation I chair here we were approach by the BBC last November who wanted to do an article on the local (and then possibly national) news of the problems faced by businesses in our industrial estate/are due to very slow broadband and no plans for superfast to be made available (in a near city centre location). We nominated a member company who's business, and more importantly investment decisions with regards to building a new factory here in Exeter and bringing manufacturing back from the far East, was being influence by communication constraints. They were interviewd and appeared on TV - there was an emphasis in the article on introducing the company, who they were and what they did on camera which included keeping the logo in shot for much of the interview to give the discussion context. Separately I've spent 2-3 minutes talking to camera for a piece that wetn out on the regional news when exhibiting at a local business exhibition - the cameran specifically set up so that our stand and logo appeared over my shoulder - who am I to object.

The article in the Mail originally appeared in a very similar way backj in June in the Bristol Post (whuch used to be owned by Mirror Group) - hot news topics over the weekend were whetehr Britain's investments in broadband was paying off or even a reality and stories were covered by most media outlets - I'd imagine people at the Mail googled, found the story (or even asked their local contacts for any good examples) and chose to use that one because it has the added edge of an initial £4K quote rising to £20K.

I know little or nothing of the merits of Home Leisure Direct, but pretty sure they just happened to be a company with the right story in the right place at the right time and were prepared to talk about it (which is a bit if a mixed blessing when you see some of the online comments on the sotry in various place from (probably) 'armchair businessmen' who are telling them they've done it all wrong.....

Talking of newspaper offices , my earthshaker came from the canteen of Sunday sport. Imagine the wobbling .. of jelly

Back
Top Bottom