What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Stern Title - Star Trek? Or Godzilla?

cooldan

i like pizza
Does anyone know anything?

Apparently Stern's website has/had this on it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375198456.455496.jpg

Godzilla?
Or just Godzooky?

It'd be nice to get away from superhero pins for a while. It may not be original, but it has potential methinks.

I'd rather it was an unlicensed original, gives chance for some creativity. I mean look at the art on Metallica (I know its licensed..), a welcome change from the cut and paste movie material.

I'd rather it was an unlicensed original, gives chance for some creativity. I mean look at the art on Metallica (I know its licensed..), a welcome change from the cut and paste movie material.

Agreed. And the saving on the licencing costs could be invested elsewhere in the machines too.

Can't say I blame Stern for sticking with a licence, why would operators care about a unique theme. Would it pull any new punters in?

If AC/DC had been themed as "small blue fairies" I'd suspect the sales would be minimal. Even a theme such as Zombies wouldn't be half the pull of Walking Dead/Resident evil.

Also with the current "you want a limited edition then pay more and pay in advance" model, how many of us would stick money down on a non-licensed theme? Even a weak theme would trick a few people. I suspect there are several themes that if announced would cause me to chuck my wallet in their direction......

Although MM / AFM have stood the test of time how well did they do for ops compared to a machine with a strong theme?

There again will the average punter really give a toss about a new Godzilla movie? It's got flop written all over it

I'm pretty sure I have heard Gary Stern say they would never do an unlicenced original theme again.

He also said in front of us all at slam 2010 no tron pinball and we make games for operators :)

Star Trek and walking dead up next by all accounts and possibly a black sabbath pin ... Black sabbath dear lord that would be horrible :(

Sabbath could be interesting but I'm thinking totally black playfield and black balls..... Not sure I could cope with hearing Paranoid every 10 mins.

Was going to disagree with Jon about only Sabbath and Maiden being big enough to bother with but after thinking about it maybe he's right. Only other possibilities would probably be Zeppelin or Aerosmith. Both make a lot more sense in the US than here. Saw the pinsiders talking about an Alice cooper pin but much as I like him it's too cult. Suspect Nirvana is the wrong demographic.

The first 3 would never happen in a million years. They last one has already been done in a fashion

Still mulling this one over.....

Good call on Pink Floyd (even though I can't stand them), not as convinced on the Def Lep idea but they were huge in the states. Is the fan base still there?

Far more US based but I suspect Van Halen, Bon Jovi and Bruce Sprinsteen would also have a huge potential fan base. (2 of these titles would have me avoiding pins for a while....)

Part of the problem with any music based pin is that a major artist in one territory doesn't translate to anything in a different country.

Maybe a more generic metal/rock pin with downloadable tracks - get the groupie / snort the coke modes;) Had to admit I actually enjoyed Rock of Ages and judging by how long it ran in theatres there must be a fan base for this kind of stuff. Suspect the licence fees for a lot of the tracks would also be quite easy, look at all the hair metal compilations that are now out there...

Only way I am going to get my oasis pin is to do a Poibug and build it myself ;)

Kinda gutted that stern made the stones before they started to make a run of awesome games, however I am sure once my stones arrives there will be a game in there somewhere .

Surprised there hasn't been a Beatles pin, obviously apart from beat time, I for one would buy a Beatles pin in a heartbeat

Will

A Beatles pin would be very interesting from a legal stand point.

Increasingly, lots of their recorded work is going out of recorded copyright in the next few years (EMI/Apple are desperately running about trying to extend it claiming CD versions etc are new recorded versions. This is the real reason behind remastered copies that lots of bands are currently issuing, not to benefit the listener but to gain a new copyright claim). However, if you master the music from the original it would technically be copyright free (but not publishing free)

I think the publishing is also still owed by Michael Jackson's estate. Also most of it will probably pre-date "moral rights" so the artist has little say in how it's used.

So if anyone does want to build a pin with artwork taken from newspapers of the time I suspect that original guys (and their estate) would have no say about it.

Although the flip side of this would be who would want to navigate this mine site. Lots of money would be chucked about in the hope to bankrupt whoever dared to do it, so in reality.....

Not sure if the Beatles would also have the same compulsive fan base that Elvis had. Anyone know roughly how many that shifted?

Back
Top Bottom